Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed? RN just a thought would like to know more!

Advice needed? RN just a thought would like to know more!

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:26 am
Just Joined

scot1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed? RN just a thought would like to know more!

Hi Guys!
So basically I've been feeling like myself and my family need a new adventure. We're from Scotland which we do love but feeling like we've got all we can from it!
We would love to move to the US and for the past few months found ourselves liking the idea of living in Tennessee!
We actually have very little knowledge on what a move abroad entails, so we would love to hear peoples step by step stories on similar moves?
How are the schools in Tennessee? Which area is best for children? We have two sons ages 9 and 4!
Thanks 😊
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed? RN just a thought would like to know more!

Welcome to BE Scot.

Unless you or your wife are US citizens the US is one I'd the hardest countries on the planet to move to. Take a read through the following...if you fit into one of the categories...you may be in with a chance to live in the US.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot1990
We're from Scotland which we do love...
Me too... Glasgow! Well, Muirend, really... but close enough!

... we would love to hear peoples step by step stories on similar moves?
Unless you're eligible for a visa that allows you to live and work in the US, your questions are moot and, dare I say it, irrelevant at this point in time. Jerseygirl has given you a great link... read - digest - read again! If you find a visa that is appropriate and for which you may be eligible, then that's your starting point.

Keep in mind that most people in the world, including most of those from the UK, will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

How are the schools in Tennessee?
Tennessee, on its own, is half the size of the entire UK. There's really no way to answer properly without you being more specific about a location in TN. If you're keen on science at all, you'll likely hate TN - because, by law, they are allowed to teach creationism along side evolution as a viable theory!

Kentucky is just north of Tennessee... but culturally similar - although our Governor isn't quite as stupid as the one from TN.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 23rd 2017 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

A member of the forum recently moved to the USA as a RN. I forget her name right now, but use the search functionality and I'm sure you'll be able to track her down.

Assuming neither of you are US citizens, thinking areas of TN is very premature as frankly you'd have to go and live where a job takes you.

Also, as Ian says, it's a large place in comparison to the UK. I recently went to a "city" there for a wedding.

It compromised of a few roads, a volunteer FD, a lot of farmland and a small medical facility. And unsurprisingly, a lot of churches. Definitely too country for me.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are a handful of nurses who are members of BE who have made the move over, and they seem to have done so through sponsorship by an agency and through direct sponsorship for an EB-2 permanent resident/ green card visa. Some additional training is required to get a US nursing qualification as UK training is too narrow/specialized.

I will warn you though, if you take the agency sponsorship route you won't have any say in which state you will be assigned to - the agency places you based on needs, and that can change at short notice. The most recent example, just a couple of months ago, was a nurse who wanted Florida but was assigned to Louisiana, but then reassigned to Texas just a few weeks before she and her family were scheduled to move.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably the most well known nursing agency sponsoring UK nurses.

International nursing jobs in the USA
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I immigrated via EB3 she is a RN our process took along time due to visa retrogression at the time we started.

EB3 ROW is current at present for those who documentarily qualify which I doubt you are. If your serious about it as already mentioned you would need to go down the agency root which would mean TN is highly unlikely.

We had direct sponsorship with a hospital in NC but that was cancelled and we ended up in LA with an agency.

I estimate if you started the process now provided nothing changes in the visa process you could be in the US in 3 years.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

I moved with my family to Texas as a RN back in May of this year I am working at a great facility in Wichita Falls, if the OP requires further information please PM me.😀😀
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot1990
Hi Guys!
So basically I've been feeling like myself and my family need a new adventure. We're from Scotland which we do love but feeling like we've got all we can from it!
We would love to move to the US and for the past few months found ourselves liking the idea of living in Tennessee!
We actually have very little knowledge on what a move abroad entails, so we would love to hear peoples step by step stories on similar moves?
How are the schools in Tennessee? Which area is best for children? We have two sons ages 9 and 4!
Thanks 😊
Hi Scot1990 please PM me if you require further information, we have recently moved to Texas from the UK.😀😀