Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for job hunting?

Advice for job hunting?

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice for job hunting?

I'm just running the gauntlet of sending my resume off to employers and as you could probably guess, i'm not hearing anything back.

Just wondering what the secret is to even getting a reply?
I've had one email reply since I started looking in December, the employer asked to see my qualifications which I duly sent and that was the last I heard from him.

Here is a little info about me/my situation.
permanent resident since January.
lived in California for just over a year now.
7 years experience in engineering working as a composite laminator, welder, cnc machinist and programmer.
3 years as a forklift operator before that.

So, any advice guys? It's the first time I've been unemployed and it's becoming a bit of a drag.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for job hunting?

There is no secret. The answer is grind, I'm afraid. Get your resume out there on all the usual websites and also join LinkedIn (although this is less likely to yield results, but still worth it).

Often, factories will post jobs with the employment office, so make a pest of yourself there, too. The employees will see your efforts and may even approach known employers in your field on your behalf.

Send resumes to all the companies within a reasonable commuting distance (or further if you're prepared to move) and follow up with a call to HR a week or so later. Take the time to find out the name of the HR person so you can address the resume personally.

All it is, is legwork. Legwork and being in the right place at the right time.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
T
All it is, is legwork. Legwork and being in the right place at the right time.
... and personal contacts ...
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
... and personal contacts ...
yeah that's how I've always gotten my jobs before.
I made a linkedin profile but it seems to be more relevant for white collar workers.
Just applied to a job on craigslist so fingers crossed for that.I wonder if I made a mistake on the earlier resumes I sent out by not putting 'authorised to work in the usa' on there somewhere?
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 12:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
yeah that's how I've always gotten my jobs before.
I made a linkedin profile but it seems to be more relevant for white collar workers.
Just applied to a job on craigslist so fingers crossed for that.I wonder if I made a mistake on the earlier resumes I sent out by not putting 'authorised to work in the usa' on there somewhere?
No. Do no mention "authorized to work in the USA" or "US Permanent Resident" or any such thing on your resume. Your resume should only be about your education and experience.

People reading your resume will assume you have the right to work in the USA, which you do, and will follow up if interested.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 2:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seem to be a lot of big box stores with signs up, perhaps things improving?
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
I'm just running the gauntlet of sending my resume off to employers and as you could probably guess, i'm not hearing anything back.

Just wondering what the secret is to even getting a reply?
I've had one email reply since I started looking in December, the employer asked to see my qualifications which I duly sent and that was the last I heard from him.

Here is a little info about me/my situation.
permanent resident since January.
lived in California for just over a year now.
7 years experience in engineering working as a composite laminator, welder, cnc machinist and programmer.
3 years as a forklift operator before that.

So, any advice guys? It's the first time I've been unemployed and it's becoming a bit of a drag.

Thanks for your help.
Have you been to the State unemployment office?
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No. Do no mention "authorized to work in the USA" or "US Permanent Resident" or any such thing on your resume. Your resume should only be about your education and experience. People reading your resume will assume you have the right to work in the USA, which you do, and will follow up if interested. Rene
Thanks Noorah, I really wish I knew someone that works in HR. I sent my resume around to everyone I know and the only feedback I really got was'yeah looks good'.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeepster
Have you been to the State unemployment office?
No I haven't, is it like the job centre back home?I just looked it up on google and there is one close by, I shall look into it tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 1:17 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It is overly general, but here are red flags that immediately have me concerned when reading a candidates resume.

Any unexplained gaps in career.
Several explainable gaps in career.
Inappropriate email address on resume "[email protected]", for example. I kid you not, I've had some real eye opening email addresses.
I always look up candidates online. Social media page showing you drunk out of your mind or sucking on a pot filled hookah pipe isn't going to cut it.
Don't send a resume that contains only work experience that is not relevant to the position. Recently when hiring registered vet techs with 2 years ER experience a prerequisite I got numerous resumes with people who thought they were qualified because "I love animals" or "as a little girl I really wanted to be a vet".
Don't include irrelevant information. We don't care that you speak 5 languages, unless the job calls for bilingual.
Leave out personal interests/accomplishments. You won spelling bee aged 7, I don't care. If you are applying for a job as a fork lift driver and won fork lift driver of the year, then of course include that.
Hobbies, so what. You play 5 aside football on Saturdays, big deal. You just wasted my time reading that.

Don't stuff your resume with power words and phrases, they make us nauseous.

Also, if the objective section is like a page from corporate jargon BS. You'll turn me off if you start some rambling nonsense of buzz words that has no real depth.

Keep your resume brief but informative (600 to 700 words). Employers get hundreds of resumes. We just don't have time to read a 6 page life story.

Include a brief cover letter telling me why you are suitable for the job.

Be polite. Don't be cocky. Don't appear desperate.

Good luck!

EDIT:
Don't have a blanket resume you send out. Really personalize the resume for each job, highlighting the bits that fit and removing the bits that do not.

Last edited by thinbrit; Feb 3rd 2016 at 1:23 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thinbrit
It is overly general, but here are red flags that immediately have me concerned when reading a candidates resume. Any unexplained gaps in career. Several explainable gaps in career.Inappropriate email address on resume "[email protected]", for example. I kid you not, I've had some real eye opening email addresses.I always look up candidates online. Social media page showing you drunk out of your mind or sucking on a pot filled hookah pipe isn't going to cut it.Don't send a resume that contains only work experience that is not relevant to the position. Recently when hiring registered vet techs with 2 years ER experience a prerequisite I got numerous resumes with people who thought they were qualified because "I love animals" or "as a little girl I really wanted to be a vet".Don't include irrelevant information. We don't care that you speak 5 languages, unless the job calls for bilingual.Leave out personal interests/accomplishments. You won spelling bee aged 7, I don't care. If you are applying for a job as a fork lift driver and won fork lift driver of the year, then of course include that. Hobbies, so what. You play 5 aside football on Saturdays, big deal. You just wasted my time reading that. Don't stuff your resume with power words and phrases, they make us nauseous. Also, if the objective section is like a page from corporate jargon BS. You'll turn me off if you start some rambling nonsense of buzz words that has no real depth. Keep your resume brief but informative (600 to 700 words). Employers get hundreds of resumes. We just don't have time to read a 6 page life story. Include a brief cover letter telling me why you are suitable for the job. Be polite. Don't be cocky. Don't appear desperate. Good luck! EDITon't have a blanket resume you send out. Really personalize the resume for each job, highlighting the bits that fit and removing the bits that do not.
Thanks thinbrit!I have a bit of a gap in my resume as I was unable to work for nearly a year after I left the uk. I've never been too confident about how to go about explaining that gap.
I've kept my resume as simple as possible. Just company I work for, years employed, job title followed by bullet points of skills used.I didn't use an objective as it took up space and my American friends' resumes didn't have one.
Thanks once again, that has been the best advice yet.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

If it's an online job - and aren't they usually, nowadays - paste the text into a Wordle. This immediately show you the words that repeat so are clearly important to the role; it'll show you the vocabulary they're using to describe the skills desired. Then you can tailor your CV vocabulary to match, which should help with the screening spiders.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:33 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
If it's an online job - and aren't they usually, nowadays - paste the text into a Wordle. This immediately show you the words that repeat so are clearly important to the role; it'll show you the vocabulary they're using to describe the skills desired. Then you can tailor your CV vocabulary to match, which should help with the screening spiders.
I used a service called jobscan.co to highlight ATS software keywords and the likelihood of your application making the cut. You paste in the job spec, and your application and it will give you a grade. You can then go back and work on your keywords out whatever.

I felt like it did a good job of getting me through to the phone screen round.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

The last two posts are really good advice. The last place I worked, all the resumes went into a system (Taleo I think), then they ran keyword searches to find the resumes they were interested in. I applied for a job that mentioned 'intranet' several times in the job description, so I really focused on my intranet work on my resume.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I also found it really useful to be able to use the fact that I'd emigrated a year ago to explain the gap in my resume.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.