Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Actually not a direct Visa question...

Actually not a direct Visa question...

Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Actually not a direct Visa question...

Been a while since I posted on here, mostly because I didn't have anything interesting to say, however, I now have a couple of quick questions (back story can be found in previous posts)

1. We spent 8 months under our L's in the US before the company pulled the plug. Am I required to file for Tax as it was less than a year?

2. Regarding the SSN. Should I return in the future to work with a new employer (what ever the route) would a new SSN, if eligible, be reissued or would they simply link records? For example, your NI number in the UK stays for life unless you sever all ties. I'm guessing this may be related to the tax question, but I expect Ian will correct me on this

I had an interesting conversation with a company yesterday about potential employment which prompted the questions.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Actually not a direct Visa question...

1. Depends. How many month were you in the USA in one calendar year?

2. Your SSN will be yours for life, and you'll use the same number in the future of you work in the USA again.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Noorah101
1. Depends. How many month were you in the USA in one calendar year?
The 8 months were all in the same calendar year.

And thanks for the SSN info. I won't burn the card then
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
The 8 months were all in the same calendar year.
Then yes, you need to file a US tax return for that year.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene.

Guess I'd better get my head around the 1040 then...