Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ACA application woes, anyone?

ACA application woes, anyone?

Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACA application woes, anyone?

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
I'm not sure you read the article. I do know that people are covered for things they do not use. Much was made over gynecology costs passed over to men. However this is asking people to buy a separate policy for pediatric dental insurance that they can't use because they are adults. It isn't even connected to a dental policy. It's connected to health care coverage.

It would be like when being sold a policy to cover a car, being told to buy coverage for a motorcycle that you don't own.
This is the kind of small issue a rational Congress would address, as has been the case with every other piece of prior large legislation. But unfortunately we have one party that would rather vote 50+ times for complete repeal rather than work constructively to fix the glitches.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 16th 2014 at 4:18 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where you are coming from, but the third party insurance isn't a separate policy and you may well one day get to use it in the event you get in a collision with an uninsured driver
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to make logical such a system makes no sense and ends up with you banging your head up against a wall.

More a tax than insurance. Look at it that way and hurts less.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where you are coming from, but the third party insurance isn't a separate policy and you may well one day get to use it in the event you get in a collision with an uninsured driver
I'd agree with you if insurance costs were skyrocketing as the republicans warned that it would but instead health care inflation has been the lowest in 50 years with all of the dumb ACA regulations. Now there appears to be small amounts of unnecessary or even stupid coverage but no longer do insurance companies need high priced lawyers and accountants trying to put fine print into insurance policies, teams evaluating health records, and teams running risk analysis figures trying to determine who to cancel or put into high risk pools to increase the profits of the insurance company.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I'd agree with you if insurance costs were skyrocketing as the republicans warned that it would but instead health care inflation has been the lowest in 50 years with all of the dumb ACA regulations. Now there appears to be small amounts of unnecessary or even stupid coverage but no longer do insurance companies need high priced lawyers and accountants trying to put fine print into insurance policies, teams evaluating health records, and teams running risk analysis figures trying to determine who to cancel or put into high risk pools to increase the profits of the insurance company.

I think you'd actually agree with me if you were the one having to buy the pediatric dental insurance for a mythical child. However I will agree to disagree.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd actually agree with me if you were the one having to buy the pediatric dental insurance for a mythical child. However I will agree to disagree.
Or if I had to buy maternal care, contraceptives, gynecological care, or breast cancer insurance for my mythical wife.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 16th 2014 at 5:51 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
Or if I had to buy maternal care, contraceptives, gynecological care, or breast cancer insurance for my mythical wife.
are you buying a separate insurance policy for your mythical wife?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually I'm retired but that is part of ACA but I would have been happy to pay for that when I was 57 when I tried to purchased health insurance through a private company but because my health records indicated that I had fatigue, I was put into a risk pool with a $10,000 deductible, 30% copay, no prescription drugs, and unlimited out of pocket expenses for $600 per month. Today an ACA policy with $6,200 maximum out of pocket expenses is also about $600 for someone aged 57 and I would be paying for conditions that wouldn't affect me whether it is included in the primary policy or a separate policy.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Are you implying you would be happy to pay for pediatric dental coverage if it weren't in a separate policy?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Are you implying you would be happy to pay for pediatric dental coverage if it weren't in a separate policy?
No, not really. I get frustrated with insurance at the best of times and this should have been taken care of. I Know the ACA is better than the system that was in place prior to the law being made. It doesn't make it wonderful. It's all a bit of a dogs dinner
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Additionally had we signed up on the state exchange she would need a pediatric dental insurance policy. Even adults have to have one.

Obamacare quirk makes childless people buy pediatric dental insurance - MarketWatch
Just a quick fact check while I have my lunch:

http://www.healthinsurancecolorado.n...2014-policies/
You are not required to have pediatric dental coverage on your plan if you buy your coverage through Connect for Health Colorado. Some states are requiring the purchase of pediatric dental within the exchange, but Colorado is not. You can opt to purchase just a medical that does not have embedded pediatric dental. The exchange will remind you of the availability of pediatric dental coverage when you apply, but you are not required to purchase a plan.
Further:
Tip: If you enroll off-exchange, everyone on the application is over age 19, and you attest that you do not have pediatric dental coverage from another carrier, your carrier will enroll you in a $0 premium “adult pediatric” dental plan. The coverage on this plan is for children only, so adults enrolled on it will have no dental coverage. But they also will not have to pay premiums for pediatric dental coverage if they have no children on the plan (off-exchange applicants who do have children and do not have pediatric dental from another carrier will have to enroll in a medical plan that has embedded pediatric dental coverage, which includes a higher premium).
Old Dec 16th 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh. Well if I'd ever gotten to sign up through the ACA Site i would have found that out
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, not really. I get frustrated with insurance at the best of times and this should have been taken care of. I Know the ACA is better than the system that was in place prior to the law being made. It doesn't make it wonderful. It's all a bit of a dogs dinner
Surely, small things like this are rather outweighed by other parts of the ACA, such as the fact that insurers can no longer refuse and can no longer dump you based on a pre-existing condition?

Anyway, it seems that in CO you shouldn't have had to pay for pediatric dental coverage whether you bought either on or off the exchange.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are perhaps bigger things to piss and moan about. However it's a thread about the affordable care act sign up. Which for whatever reason we were unable to do on the government website.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which for whatever reason we were unable to do on the government website.
The tally is expected to grow since traffic on the federal exchange was heavy in the three days before the Dec. 15 deadline for coverage to begin in January. More than 3 million people visited the site during that time and 1.6 million reached out to the call center.

Obamacare signups surge for 2015 | Business - Home

Last edited by Michael; Dec 16th 2014 at 11:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.