Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2nd week in US( Bay area, CA) and missing home comforts!

2nd week in US( Bay area, CA) and missing home comforts!

Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd week in US( Bay area, CA) and missing home comforts!

Originally Posted by bewildering
Amazon is the cheapest and best option for Tea. I order PG tips by the kilogram every few months. Amazon is a great option for most British/Irish goods.

Costco has a great cheddar cheese from Vermont called Cabot. I'm originally Irish and I much prefer it to the Kerrygold Cheese (that Costco also sells). Coostco also does furniture online that is great qulaity.
I have found the Costco furniture in-store is of similar quality but less expensive.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:48 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RelocatingBrit
Thank you, that's great! Los Gatos is great, that's pretty close for us . We are currently in Mountainview.
You have an IKEA very close by at 101 and University Avenue.

I can't help much with the tea since despite being a Brit, I don't touch the stuff :-)

However, I'm sure Amazon.com have what you need. My daughter has fitted had 3 apartments this year. Los Angeles, Phoenix and New York. They've all be kitted out and supplied via Amazon.

If you use it a lot, consider Amazon Prime membership. For a single yearly fee you get free 2 day shipping on many (most) products.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:57 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch

If you use it a lot, consider Amazon Prime membership. For a single yearly fee you get free 2 day shipping on many (most) products.
Plus it includes free streaming TV and music and a free e-book and magazines every month!
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Plus it includes free streaming TV ....
That is just about to end. Amazon is going to start charging extra for "Amazon Prime TV".
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is just about to end. Amazon is going to start charging extra for "Amazon Prime TV".

I had not heard that. Cheapskates!!!
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:34 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Well that sucketh. Do you have any additional info on the changes they're making? I Googled briefly but didn't find anything.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Well that sucketh. Do you have any additional info on the changes they're making? I Googled briefly but didn't find anything.
I'd have to refer you to my source - Mrs P.

ETA. I don't see it either. Maybe she has just confused the fact that you can buy a separate Amazon Prime Video membership with the fact that Prime comes bundled with Prime Video? .... It's always a dangerous assumption that Mrs P knows what she is talking about!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 19th 2017 at 4:32 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

I'd have to refer you to my source - Mrs P.
I could find nothing about this change online either. Perhaps Mrs P would divulge her source.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I could find nothing about this change online either. Perhaps Mrs P would divulge her source.
See #37 above, which I was editing while you posted.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 6:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

See #37 above, which I was editing while you posted.
Thanks. I'm just happy the concern is unfounded! Perhaps the confusion was with the specialized TV services one can now choose via Amazon for a free trial period, followed by a monthly fee (like HBO etc).
Old Aug 21st 2017, 3:49 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RelocatingBrit
Thank you, that's great! Los Gatos is great, that's pretty close for us . We are currently in Mountainview.

Thanks,
I'm in Mountain View too. For cheese go to the Milk Pail (California and San Antonio) they have a huge selection of every cheese you can imagine, and it's cheap. I also buy all my produce from there, it's a great store. They also sell a small selection of British items, HP, hobnobs, PG time, baked beans... they even get Thorntons in at Christmas. The Acme bread they sell in there is also the best in the area, and the cheapest stocking. World Market on El Camino has a large selection of British chocolate and candy. Nob Hill has a small British section that is usually past its best and very expensive, I only ever buy Pataks curry paste from there.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Donibristle is an unknown quantity at this point

Another vote for Nob Hill, Lunardi's and Safeway in Los Gatos. Lots of British stuff. In Nob Hill (right around the corner from my house) there's a small special British section but you can also find British stuff in the various departments (e.g. HP Sauce is with the other condiments, marmalade is with the jams etc.). Lunardi's also sells Irish (style) bacon, expensive and made by a company in Santa Clara and the closest I've found here. Best tea is Tetley's British Blend which is available in most stores.