2018 taxes

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 3:51 am
Just Joined

retar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2018 taxes

This is highly likely a stupid question, but if I'm being asked on my taxes if I'm a US Citizen (which I am, as of last month). Do I put yes, even though for last years taxes, I wasn't a US Citizen for any of that tax year?

Also, yay for leaving taxes to practically the last minute.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2018 taxes

Originally Posted by retar
This is highly likely a stupid question, but if I'm being asked on my taxes if I'm a US Citizen (which I am, as of last month). Do I put yes, even though for last years taxes, I wasn't a US Citizen for any of that tax year?

Also, yay for leaving taxes to practically the last minute.
The only US tax form that asks this I know of is Form 2555. The question is not new though. Which IRS form are you thinking of?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cook_County
The only US tax form that asks this I know of is Form 2555. The question is not new though. Which IRS form are you thinking of?
I'm not sure what form. They asked me at H&R Block if I was a US citizen on their forms, I said yes because I am, but realized later for the 2018 tax year I wasn't at any point.

I mean that wasn't the question, but it still made me think if it makes any difference...
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

'They asked me at H&R Block if I was a US citizen on their forms'

What forms exactly?
A little troubling that they ask this seeing as generally it's none of their business.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 2nd 2019 at 3:30 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
'They asked me at H&R Block if I was a US citizen on their forms'

What forms exactly?
A little troubling that they ask this seeing as generally it's none of their business.
I don't know the exact form unfortunately. It was on their computerized forms. Basically you sitting there while they ask you questions and then enter it in.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 5:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In almost all cases (I can't think of any exceptions), when filling in official/ government forms of any and all types, including tax paper work, the correct approach is to answer the question as written, take it at face value, do not try to adjust or interpret it to fit your circumstances.

In your specific case if they had wanted to know if you were a USC during the year for which the return is being filed, then you have to assume that they would have asked that question, not the one that they did ask!
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at their website when you do taxes the question is: Were you a U.S. citizen in 2018?

So I would think based on the question as its being asked, if you were naturalized in 2019, you would answer no to this question.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looking at their website when you do taxes the question is: Were you a U.S. citizen in 2018?

So I would think based on the question as its being asked, if you were naturalized in 2019, you would answer no to this question.
I agree, if that is the question being asked.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Is it too much to ask if you were a tax resident?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In almost all cases (I can't think of any exceptions), when filling in official/ government forms of any and all types, including tax paper work, the correct approach is to answer the question as written, take it at face value, do not try to adjust or interpret it to fit your circumstances.

In your specific case if they had wanted to know if you were a USC during the year for which the return is being filed, then you have to assume that they would have asked that question, not the one that they did ask!
Normally I would agree with you, but not when it comes to taxes. There are instances in the tax treaty where being a citizen, or not, effects where you are taxed for example. So for taxes I would take the question to be referring to the tax year being reported.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Well, I haven't filed or signed anything yet. I have to go back to H&R Block later this week to review the paperwork and confirm it's correct. I'll double check this question with them then, because now I'm doubting if they asked if I am a US citizen vs if I was a US citizen.... .... I've never been asked this on taxes before either btw. First time using these guys.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Is it too much to ask if you were a tax resident?
Yes, because many won't know and/or understand the term "tax resident".
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Normally I would agree with you, but not when it comes to taxes. There are instances in the tax treaty where being a citizen, or not, effects where you are taxed for example. So for taxes I would take the question to be referring to the tax year being reported.
Well it now turns out (post #7 above) that apparently the question was misquoted, and should have aligned with your interpretation.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Where does it say that on the IRS site?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retar
Where does it say that on the IRS site?
It wasn't on the IRS website, it was the question asked on the H&R website when I was doing my US tax return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.