Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The 1970's Front Room

The 1970's Front Room

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:11 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Talking The 1970's Front Room

I thought this deserved a thread of it's own.

Some call it Kitsch some call it crap but let's take a funky journey back to a 1970's living room on a council estate...

Chinese Girl by Vladimir Tretchikoff

A classic artwork to rival the Mona Lisa...

Ceramic moulded set of 1950's flying ducks

How did these classics ever go out of fashion?

Why not help decorate the front room wall with anything tacky and disturbing you remember from your childhood or from your Nan's front room that you can find a picture of...

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 23rd 2005 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:18 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: The 1970's Front Room

1970's classic drinking bird

HAHAHA doesn't he ever stop? Endless hours of 1970's fun watching him bob up and down.

The ultimate 70's soccer game endorsed by Bobby Charlton and the England team as its official soccer game. Unebeliavable realism... Turn the knobs to flip the ball but turn both knobs really fast round and round just like the other guy and the ball ends up in one of the goals... My brother had one of these.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The 1970's Front Room

There was/is a large Irish population in my home city (Coventry) so I had a lot of Catholic friends and neighbours. They all seemed to have the same picture of Jesus on the wall with an electric candle in front of it - might have been called the 'Sacred Heart' I think.

My Uncle John & Aunt Freda didn't have a Chinese Woman pic, but they had one of a very exotic dark-haired buxom beauty (Polynesian perhaps) above their gas fire in the living room. When my uncle died a couple of years ago, it coincided with me being back for Christmas so I went to his funeral service. We went back to his house for drinks & food afterwards....and that same picture was still there LOL!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:42 pm
This board is shite

Default Re: The 1970's Front Room

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My Uncle John & Aunt Freda didn't have a Chinese Woman pic, but they had one of a very exotic dark-haired buxom beauty (Polynesian perhaps) above their gas fire in the living room. When my uncle died a couple of years ago, it coincided with me being back for Christmas so I went to his funeral service. We went back to his house for drinks & food afterwards....and that same picture was still there LOL!
Was she sort of hugging a tree and showing a bosom?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Was she sort of hugging a tree and showing a bosom?

Yes - I've just discovered that she is called "Tina" (doesn't seem to suit her though, it's not very exotic is it?) by J.H. Lynch whom is apparently a 'mysterious' painter as little is known about him.

Here she is:

http://www.jhlynch.org/ (you need to click on 'gallery')

Who hasn't seen this painting of Tina, LOL!?

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 23rd 2005 at 8:54 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:09 pm
This board is shite

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes - I've just discovered that she is called "Tina" (doesn't seem to suit her though, it's not very exotic is it?) by J.H. Lynch whom is apparently a 'mysterious' painter as little is known about him.

Who hasn't seen this painting of Tina, LOL!?
Yes indeed Englishmum, who hasn't seen this classic painting...

Two different paintings of the same classic beauty by JH Lynch fit for any 1970's wall.

Not a lot is known about JH Lynch - hardly surprising you might say and who'd own up to being him, but on one site it said his name might be John but this has not been confirmed. He's the Lemony Snicket of the art-world apparently.

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 23rd 2005 at 9:13 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

My grandmother's front room, come to life.
Attached Thumbnails The 1970's Front Room-macrame.jpg   The 1970's Front Room-glass-fish.jpg   The 1970's Front Room-babysham.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:36 pm
This board is shite

I'm there Dant3 I can almost smell the atmosphere and smell of Mixed Boilings being sucked, mingling with the stale tobacco.

Heavy Glass Angel Fish no 70's living room should be without one can be used as paperweight, doorstop, blunt instrument in a murder...

I think these are what gruffbrown meant earlier when he asked

"Was multi-coloured glass fish a southern thing?"

"Not so much southern as more Council House I think." correctly replied ImHere
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:41 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

on the telly
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:42 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm there Dant3 I can almost smell the atmosphere and smell of Mixed Boilings being sucked, mingling with the stale tobacco.

Heavy Glass Angel Fish no 70's living room should be without one can be used as paperweight, doorstop, blunt instrument in a murder...

They're the ones, they also had glass bobbles on
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes!!! LOL! But it didn't stop at fish. My Mum's pride and joy was a duck of the same ilk - I adopted the catch-phrase "I hate that duck" - to which Mum would always reply - "But it was EXPENSIVE!!"

We also had a representation of Whitby Abbey drawn in orange paint on Black Velvet which was thought rather tasteful
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:47 pm

found it
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Oh yes!!! LOL! But it didn't stop at fish. My Mum's pride and joy was a duck of the same ilk - I adopted the catch-phrase "I hate that duck" - to which Mum would always reply - "But it was EXPENSIVE!!"

We also had a representation of Whitby Abbey drawn in orange paint on Black Velvet which was thought rather tasteful
lol I haven't even started to google for 'paint by numbers' yet
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:50 pm

classic paint by numbers
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
found it
Was that an Athena print?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.