Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

10 days in the US - an update

10 days in the US - an update

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

michaeldc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10 days in the US - an update

I got a rental at first in the hope that I could do that but the company I hired it from said it wasn't allowed with them. I believe some do though so you'll have to call them and do some research.

I looked up a local instructor and paid him $100 for a one hour lesson and to borrow the car for the test - I believe this is a pretty standard thing in the US for foreigners. The lesson was well worth it as I learned a few things I didn't know before that helped me pass the test. It was a good deal really!

The written test wasn't hard but you should do some practise tests online. While driving is similar all over the world there are things that are unique everywhere and questions that will trip you up. Same goes for the practical.

Good luck!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Gayled06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michaeldc
I got a rental at first in the hope that I could do that but the company I hired it from said it wasn't allowed with them. I believe some do though so you'll have to call them and do some research.

I looked up a local instructor and paid him $100 for a one hour lesson and to borrow the car for the test - I believe this is a pretty standard thing in the US for foreigners. The lesson was well worth it as I learned a few things I didn't know before that helped me pass the test. It was a good deal really!

The written test wasn't hard but you should do some practise tests online. While driving is similar all over the world there are things that are unique everywhere and questions that will trip you up. Same goes for the practical.

Good luck!
Thankyou! We are now issued and waiting on DX to deliver our passports in London and ready to hop on a flight.. so getting prepared for our first 10 days to, good luck with your new adventure in SoCal!
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:50 am
Just Joined

mgmidget is an unknown quantity at this point

May I say congrats!

I am just about to file my application for my E2 visa - probably middle of next week, but I'll be on the other side of the country.

What's the business if you don't mind me asking?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

hsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
How long was the E2 visa for?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

michaeldc is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a 5 year visa for a music publishing company.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

hsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond reputehsc0307 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaeldc
It's a 5 year visa for a music publishing company.
Thanks
Our E2 has just been granted after some inadmissibility issues were cleared.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Gayled06 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's us arrived safely and sound in the US with our E2 visas yesterday.
Husband is off just now to get the keys to the office and I'm sorting out appointments with the DMV and SS office.
Good luck everyone on their new ventures in USA.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gayled06
That's us arrived safely and sound in the US with our E2 visas yesterday.
Husband is off just now to get the keys to the office and I'm sorting out appointments with the DMV and SS office.
Good luck everyone on their new ventures in USA.
Good luck to both of you. We land in December just before Christmas. Let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 1:26 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
Under who's definition of "resident"?!

Residency is defined differently for tax, driving licenses etc.

I was also driving on my UK license over the GA period defined, and so long as you don't actually have to produce your license that's not a problem for you but IF you have to produce your license... Well, it depends on how the police officer feels that day?! Sometimes maybe the accent helps wing-it... Other times I dunno.

Edit: To clarify, just in case anyone thinks I'm saying its a good idea to drive without following the required state regulations... I'm not.
all well and good until you have an accident. do you want to give the insurance company ANY excuse to deny the claim? and what if you hit someone else and seriously injure them - your invalid insurance could bankrupt them through no fault of their own!
Old Aug 27th 2016, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
all well and good until you have an accident. do you want to give the insurance company ANY excuse to deny the claim? and what if you hit someone else and seriously injure them - your invalid insurance could bankrupt them through no fault of their own!
"all well and good"?
Well, I don't think I said it was well. Nor did I say it was good.

On the message you were trying to send though, I agree...

Good point for others reading who don't know the US. As I said after being picked up on my wording about this already...

Originally Posted by me
To clarify, just in case anyone thinks I'm saying it's a good idea to drive without following the required state regulations... I'm not.
Best advice is research and follow the law since ignorance of the rules is not a defense. Especially in the US when it comes to insurance, litigation. And beyond that, the morality of the issues arising.

Originally Posted by MsElui
your invalid insurance
All my eye-watering insurance costs were through a very well known rental company who hired me the car for 6 weeks. I'm not sure if you are qualified on the limited information here to determine if my insurance was invalid, or where liability would lie, or even if there was a path to cost recovery for anyone in litigation had I had a bump at the time years ago; but you are making a valid point.

It's fair to mention accidents, especially here in the south, given the standard of driving... There are accidents on a daily basis with regular issues on the roads because of them (not to mention serious injuries and deaths)...

Especially when people are driving around with mobile phones to their ears etc... Something we UK citizens don't believe when we first witness it! (Still surprises me)

Last edited by Hanco; Aug 27th 2016 at 4:17 am. Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 27th 2016, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the E-2 visa makes you a US resident. So possibly annual FBARs and worldwide tax on everything is to come along with plenty of annual information returns. If you own a company in the UK you may want to close it before moving. If you own unit trusts or investment trusts or OEICS (including in an ISA) you will want to sell these before moving. If you own UK property you will want to learn about the 2 out of 5 year rule and foreign currency mortgage gains...
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Don't forget that the E-2 visa makes you a US resident. So possibly annual FBARs and worldwide tax on everything is to come along with plenty of annual information returns. If you own a company in the UK you may want to close it before moving. If you own unit trusts or investment trusts or OEICS (including in an ISA) you will want to sell these before moving. If you own UK property you will want to learn about the 2 out of 5 year rule and foreign currency mortgage gains...
Are you sure about that?

I thought the E-2 visa status was non-resident alien (at a federal level)?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Moose
Are you sure about that?

I thought the E-2 visa status was non-resident alien (at a federal level)?
There are two types of residency. An E-2 holder can be deemed a resident for tax purposes. This is dependent on the IRS calculations (time spent in the US for example).