Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$60k salary in Fredericksburg VA?

$60k salary in Fredericksburg VA?

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:50 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $60k salary in Fredericksburg VA?

Originally Posted by Peaches1960
Wot turned out as exciting news 4 me & my husband....with nervous anticipation of starting a new life over there with being offered a job thru the owners of his present company, has now filled me with complete panic & fear that I don't wanna come.
While all advice has been welcome, most of it has been negative & put the fear of God in me. I know it's not gonna b easy & a complete culture shock but did think there would b a little more positivity.
Thank u 4 all the help with the visa & daughter issues. We thought the wage issue was gonna b fine as it's more than he's getting now... But I do understand there's more 2 fund out there. I myself do feel a bit deflated now after feeling the pangs of excitement of experiencing a new life in ur country.
The reason the advice was 'negative' is because it's not what you were hoping to hear. But it's the reality. Don't shoot the messenger! Did you want people to lie and tell you things that simply weren't true or weren't going to happen? Many people come to this site with big plans for a fantastic new life and slowly realise the grass isn't always greener. Yes, it may be a higher wage than he gets here. I will also be on a higher wage when I move next move but all things considered (cost of living, deductions, healthcare, etc, etc) I will be slightly worse off financially (but much better off personally as I will finally be living with my husband). It's certainly not money that is the driving force behind my move, or many moves.

It's normal to feel deflated when you realise something exciting is not going to happen or is not going to be what you thought it would be. I wouldn't necessarily give up - why not go there a few times for a good look around? You surely weren't going to move there 'blind'? Is there room for negotiation on the salary? Given that they are spending a small fortune to bring him into the country and are prepared to wait a year for him, you'd think they would be willing to pay above average for him. He must be very good at his job and highly desired by the company for them to do this.

You did mention that the job is working for the same company that owns the company where he is currently employed. Is this some kind of intra-company transfer? I seem to recall you mentioned an H1B which is a bit of a lottery visa (only about a quarter of those who apply will be successful as it is massively over-subscribed) but it's a different visa for a company transfer and without the lottery scenario.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:38 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If you reach the conclusion that the salary is too low to make the move (and I'm not saying you should come to that answer), then there will be little to lose by demanding a better salary. But first get the full benefits information, and do a search to find out what the market rate truly is for the job. Run the numbers so you know exactly what you need before trying to negotiate.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Not related to salary but do consider the summer months of July and August where high temperature combined with high humidity can be unpleasant for some.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at two random small towns nearby Fredricksburg, Culpepper pop 18,000 and Bowling green pop 1500 the median household incomes are 53,000 and 38,000 respectively. What I would do is get a good Virginia road map, look at some possible towns within commuting distance, in the direction away from DC and email/call a local realtor in each town being considered. Most will be very happy to talk with you and can give you a lot of very good info about area being considered, regarding housing and cost of living.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Looking at two random small towns nearby Fredricksburg, Culpepper pop 18,000 and Bowling green pop 1500 the median household incomes are 53,000 and 38,000 respectively. What I would do is get a good Virginia road map, look at some possible towns within commuting distance, in the direction away from DC and email/call a local realtor in each town being considered. Most will be very happy to talk with you and can give you a lot of very good info about area being considered, regarding housing and cost of living.
That's one good idea, but it is not just property costs that are in question. The real issue is what is the employer offering, not just in terms of salary but the whole package such as relocation expenses, health cover etc. Fortunately the OP has time to do the research and come to a conclusion.

I agree with others that this could be a wonderful opportunity to relocate for a while and enjoy the experience of being this side of the pond. The OP should not take responses to be negative so much as indicating areas for further research/questioning.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peaches1960
The salary turned out 2 b $65 with a review 2 an increase later on.
I have 2 say I'm feeling very unsure bout it all now. We r both in our middle 50s
**** that. You should stay where you are. If this was a move for 100's of thousands a year - do it, then move back to the UK to retire. But when you're entering your declining years career wise, and on a pretty low income for your age, I would not remotely consider relocating here.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Peaches

My apologies for the rude posts that have surfaced on your thread. Your husband's salary is the mean salary for most Americans and not considered all that low. It appears low to many expats because they came here highly skilled and with job offers in the 6 figures. It is not right for others to demean your husband's earning powers.

Emigrating to the US is an adventure and yes, the salary is below average for those who are asked to emigrate by their companies. The only true negative on your proposed move is your inability to drive. Unlike most, if not the majority, of Europe, public transportation outside of major metropolitan cities in the US is virtually non-existent. But you are young enough to learn to drive and driving an automatic transmission, which is the norm here in the US, should be a piece of cake. I understand your husband will not be working in Washington, DC but in one of the suburbs of DC.

Living on the proposed salary is doable. A lot will depend on the package deal your husband's employer offers in terms of salary, benefits, relocation expenses, vacation time, etc. Instead of an H-1B, they might look into offering him the job on an L visa which means he could start immediately upon US Consulate approval and it also gives you the right to work in the US while here once you have applied for the employment authorization document which you are eligible for under an L visa but not eligible for under an H visa.

If you are anticipating only be in the US for a few years and will be returning to the UK for retirement, then that sweetens the deal for you a bit as he might be able to contribute to a 401K retirement plan and perhaps his employer will contribute to it as well. This will give you added financial means when you retire.

It is all important that your husband sits down with his employer and gets the facts on which visa they would be using to send him to the US. I'm assuming that the company has a US based company already in operations and that you, as his spouse, don't have all the facts about what the company is planning.

I'm sorry the negativity has been off putting and I know that I contributed to that negativity. But better to be told upfront what some of the issues in the proposed move might be rather than to move and be unhappily surprised.

See if the employer will fund a trip to the US for you and your husband to view where he will be working and allowing you to have a look at towns and cities you might want to live in. Get all the facts, then make your decision.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 23rd 2016 at 4:36 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also like to apologise for the rude threads.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

See if the employer will fund a trip to the US for you and your husband to view where he will be working and allowing you to have a look at towns and cities you might want to live in. Get all the facts, then make your decision.
This! You'll feel a lot better if you take a look at the area where you will need to live -- and it will help you to understand why so many are stressing the fact that driving is such a must in the US.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
**** that. You should stay where you are. If this was a move for 100's of thousands a year - do it, then move back to the UK to retire. But when you're entering your declining years career wise, and on a pretty low income for your age, I would not remotely consider relocating here.
You know there is no income requirement for any age. Its not exactly polite to tell someone they are making a low income for their age, there is no set number as to what someone at any age should make.

Millions of people raise families and own homes in the US and make 60,000 a year and have perfectly normal lives, median income on a whole is only mid 50k a year, and median in VA is 65,000 so 62,000 is above the national median and only slightly below VA median.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

the median income in 2013 was under $48,000 per year.
http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...-Virginia.html

You need to ask about health care costs. Check if the plan will cover both of you, or just your OH. Cost vary widely, sometimes it can be as low as $60 a month and sometimes over $500 per month. A lot of employers will quote per pay period which typically is every 2 weeks from my experience.

Take a look on craigslist for rental prices or zillow to gauge availability and price. What may be hard to determine is if rentals are going up. I live the other side of the country , but 1 bed apartments have gone up from $700 per month to around $1100 per month over 4 years.

Also be prepared for having to do your own taxes each year, or paying an accountant.

Also if the pound declines every dollar you earn will be worth more £s.

Used cars are expensive compared to the UK.

Depending how much you need a car, you may be able to get away with using Uber and Lyft, even if its only until you learn to drive. My wife's cousin has been car less for 4 years now and gets around fine. This of course varies by location.

Don't dismiss the idea of moving completely, but going in with open eyes should avoid some unexpected issues.

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 23rd 2016 at 6:22 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:42 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You know there is no income requirement for any age.
There is if you wish to up sticks, relocate, and experience a certain standard of living. An income requirement is a fundamental consideration as we go through our life.

Its not exactly polite to tell someone they are making a low income for their age, there is no set number as to what someone at any age should make.
Reality bites.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:53 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking to eventually emigrate, then this may be a stepping stone to that goal.
It may not be a great salary now, but it may lead to other opportunities.

Some stats on Fredericksburg VA:
Fredericksburg, Virginia Economy
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Peaches

My apologies for the rude posts that have surfaced on your thread. Your husband's salary is the mean salary for most Americans and not considered all that low. It appears low to many expats because they came here highly skilled and with job offers in the 6 figures. It is not right for others to demean your husband's earning powers.

Emigrating to the US is an adventure and yes, the salary is below average for those who are asked to emigrate by their companies. The only true negative on your proposed move is your inability to drive. Unlike most, if not the majority, of Europe, public transportation outside of major metropolitan cities in the US is virtually non-existent. But you are young enough to learn to drive and driving an automatic transmission, which is the norm here in the US, should be a piece of cake. I understand your husband will not be working in Washington, DC but in one of the suburbs of DC.

Living on the proposed salary is doable. A lot will depend on the package deal your husband's employer offers in terms of salary, benefits, relocation expenses, vacation time, etc. ....
Rete,

Your post contains a lot of good points and arguments that are well made, however there are many good reasons why you shouldn't expect a middle-aged couple from the UK to just slot in to life in the US despite their average/above average income.

Points I would make include, among other things:

The area is not the cheapest, even in Virginia.

Peaches cannot drive, and life in the US is very car-centric outside of major cities.

They won't have the support network of family and friends.

Lacking knowledge of good and bad areas, and US housing habits, they may end up paying more for their housing than they need to to avoid what might superficially seem to be a "rough" area, whether in or out of town.

They are less likely to be comfortable cutting corners on healthcare, making-do with a visit to the pharmacy and an over-the-counter medication to save the cost of a visit to the doctor and a prescription.

They won't be comfortable with some routine fixes or repairs to plumbing or wiring, so might be more dependant on paying for help, and similarly might be more dependant on a high street car service facility that a neighborhood "guy with an oily rag".

They might rely more on electrical or gas heating and less on a fire or stove for boosting their heating, and conversely be less tolerant of heat and humidity, so use their AC more.

They might want to fund return flights to the UK which a "average" US household wouldn't have to budget for.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2016 at 7:27 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, and because hubby and I did exactly what the OP is contemplating in our early 50's, I think, if the couple REALLY want to experience life in the US then the job situation is doable based on:

- the salary is more than he is earning now
- they have some savings to fall back on for big expenses like a car
- they will be happy in an apartment for the first year or two
- utility costs will be the same if not more than in the UK
- there WILL be health insurance costs to consider
- there won't be immediate family for support
- they will make friends
- life is different in the US but they are prepared to 'muck in' and adapt.
- they are going to work hard to make it work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.