Stephen H Houchen wrote:

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...21219/ts_nm/at
    > tack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1

Hi All!

"INS spokesman Arcaute said those arrested had violated immigration laws,
overstayed their visas, or were wanted for crimes."

So what's your problem. If they can set up freaking roadblocks to make sure I
have my seat belt on and give me a ticket if I don't, what's the big deal with
arresting aliens that have broken the law. Should be more of it.

Take care,

Mike

--------------46AC90EDEAF1D8984095F020
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Stephen H Houchen wrote:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...21219/ts_nm/at
tack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1

Hi All!
Â
"INS spokesman Arcaute said those arrested had violated immigration
laws, overstayed their visas, or were wanted for crimes."
So what's your problem.  If they can set up freaking roadblocks
to make sure I have my seat belt on and give me a ticket if I don't, what's
the big deal with arresting aliens that have broken the law. Â
Should be more of it.
Take care,
Mike
Â

--------------46AC90EDEAF1D8984095F020--

Old Dec 19th 2002, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

DonM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just think of what happens to foreigners who overstay their visas in other countries - I knew two American teachers staying in China. The head of the "Foeign Affairs" office (in charge of the "safety and well-being of foreigners") had repeatedly refused to take them to the public security office to update their visas. "Oh, it's not necessary," he repeatedly told them "You are leaving to go to another school - they are responsible for it, not us." Well, he was wrong. The Americans were first issued heavy fines and threatened with jail time. Later, when all the facts came out, the foreign affairs guy was also fined. He refused to pay it and was also threatened with jail - don't know if he was actually incarcerated, but I hope so.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Hundreds of Muslim Immigrants Rounded Up in Calif."

Originally posted by Mrtravel
you have made multiple issues similar to this under different names. This post describing what your wife did to you reveals who you are.
I am registered under one name and one name only: that reveals who I am.

Please list the others here or send the names through PM: I suspect that they would like to know your beliefs. I, for one, would like to know of these others who have had a problem with INS refusal to recognize the criminal activities of an alien spouse.

I will be waiting to hear from you.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 10:56 pm
Michael D. Young

Matta Harri wrote:

> In article ,
    > abba48uk wrote:
    > > If the foregoing statements are
    > > true (self evident) then to focus on Muslim illegals is simply
    > > common sense, not because they will ALL be potential terrorists,
    > > but because there are more LIKELY to be potential terrorists among
    > > that group than among any other.
    > > I have nothing against Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, or little
    > > green men from Mars, but when a Government has to discharge its prime
    > > function (the protection of its own citizens) and is simply using common
    > > sense methods to do so, it is quite beyond me why any law abiding
    > > citizen has a problem with it.
    > Of course, once you arrest 500 of them at one INS office, the chances
    > that they will come forward at any other office decrease pretty
    > substantially, wouldn't you say?
    > --
    > Matta

Hi All!

Well that's 500 we don't have to worry about.

Take care,

Mike

Old Dec 19th 2002, 11:06 pm
Michael D. Young

Jim Battista wrote:

> mrtravel wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > Probably they thought they were in status. Lord knows it's easy enough
    > to lose status through failure to do some obscure thing.

Hi All!

My wife came here as a K-1 and it was pretty clear what she needed to do,
get married within 90 days, file for AOS and then 3 months before 2
anniversary of AOS approval file to remove conditions. If you are here
and want to stay you should make sure you follow through on what you need
to do to keep your status current.

Take care,

Mike

Old Dec 20th 2002, 12:08 am
Account Closed

NID2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default STOP THE HATE AND ANGER

THERE IS ALOT OF AMERICAN, BRITISH, FRENCH IN THE ARABIAN GULF COUNTRIES AND HAVE BEEN ALWAYS TREATED GOOD, EVEN IF THEY BREAK THE LAW.
ITS SEEMS THAT MEDIA IS AFFECTING EVERY ONE OF YOU GUYS AND MAKE HATE CONQUER YOUR SOUL TOWARDS ARABS.

AGIAN AND AGAIN 911 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALL ARABS AND MUSLIMS AS WELL.

THANK U
Old Dec 20th 2002, 1:36 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bobzy
Udall made a post the other day mentioning that he had heard of people being put in handcuffs during interviews - looks like he had a front seat view of what was about to crack wide open.
Hi Bobzy,
Perhaps you are referring to my posting of the other day about them arresting "U.S. Citizen" petitioners who show up at an INS office, and who also have warrants or wants out for them.

I also did post some thoughts and news about the registration program that AILA has been concerned with since we first heard of it coming into existence. If fact, my Southern California AILA chapter called an emergency meeting on the 4th (we normally don't have chapter meetings in December) that dealt with registration and the looming deadline. We had the acting director of the L.A. INS office and her assistant at the meeting, plus the Immigration Court's lead prosecutor, and we grilled them with questions and expressed our concerns about what to do with our clients facing registration.

What I don't understand is why the media didn't publicize this better long before the deadline? We all knew about it (AILA members) long before then, so where were they and why didn't they make more of an issue about it before the deadline?

I get new reports about registration just about every day. On the 16th, AILA provided a handy summary about what is apparently going on at each and every District Office across the U.S. (Not all of them are doing the exact same thing).

Just today I received a report about registration here in the L.A. area. Apparently an INS spokesman announced that most people who were being detained would be released today. I can't be 100% sure about this information, but it's been said that if bond had been set for $5,000.00 or over, persons were to remain in custody and family members could post the bond. Any bond lower than $5,000.00, family members could go home. All detained persons were to be released today and will be given a G-56 letter. This letter will tell them to report back to the INS within 30-60 days. If a bond had been set (for example, $1,500.00) and not yet paid, these persons will also be released and given the G-56 letter. They do not have to post the bond. Again, this is third hand information so I don't vouch for any part of it.

Since I do such a large volume of fiancée visa work, and since most of my petitioners are male, most of my beneficiaries are obviously female so I've not had registration issues come up in my practice, however I've taken a few calls from people concerned with this. I even took a call yesterday from a U.S. citizen female who alleged that she was hassled quite a bit (told to let her hair down, put it back up, doubting she was really a U.S. Citizen and that she was presenting a fake U.S. passport, that sort of thing... Oh yeah, apparently she appears to be of the group that is subject to registration) when she went to visit a loved one that had been taken into custody here in L.A.

A few speculative thoughts about registration: Apparently, they are doing it so they know where people are and can keep tabs on them. Fine. But they are apparently (at some INS offices) detaining, then issuing notices to appear in immigration court to those who have a pending AOS. OK, so they will know where they are (due to registration), however if someone is going to go in front of an immigration judge who will either put it off until the INS approves the adjustment (or at least the underlying petition), or adjust them right in court, then why issue the Notice to Appear? Seems to be a waste of government resources to me.

Maybe it has more to do with "sending out a message" to nonimmigrants and U.S. citizens alike. To the immigration community, it might convey that immigration issues are very serious (or at least potentially very serious) and the immigration laws are not to be broken. And to every U.S. Citizen who complained about the INS issuing 2 letters to 2 of the dead pilot terrorists (which was way overblown by the media) and who said INS needed to do a better job… well, here you go (registration).

I think this also underscores the reality that what might be true today might not hold true tomorrow. Remember, some of the people being issued notices to appear in court have AOS’s pending, and simply violated their status (perhaps overstaying before filing for AOS). Even though I don’t do removal defense work, I think those people will for the most part just have to deal with this hassle of going to court and that it will still work out for them in the long run (but who knows what the eventual long range consequences will end up being), however it does show that it might have been dangerous to tell others in the past, “Sure, overstay then file AOS… You have nothing to worry about�. Of course, this goes for attorneys dispensing immigration advice as well as non-attorney practicing immigration law who dispense immigration advice on the net.

M.U.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Dec 20th 2002 at 1:42 am.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Matthew Udall

I even took a call yesterday from a U.S. citizen female who alleged that she was hassled quite a bit (told to let her hair down, put it back up, doubting she was really a U.S. Citizen and that she was presenting a fake U.S. passport, that sort of thing... Oh yeah, apparently she appears to be of the group that is subject to registration) when she went to visit a loved one that had been taken into custody here in L.A.
Hi Matt:

That lady came in to see me today along with her loved one who is ALREADY in proceedings before the immigration court and there was confusion because INS had issued them 2 different "A" numbers and their present attorney couldn't be bothered to explain the rules of immigration life to them. Thanks for the referral.

As an interesting aside, the lady is question is US BORN and although her name is from one of the "Axis of Evil" she has New Yahker accent -- and she is walking proof of the validity of her marriage -- she is 8 months pregnant.

I reminded them that the INS is NOT like the Gestapo -- after all, they had to follow the rules.

I'm offended that they feel free to harrass a pregnant native born US citizen!
Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:22 am
Shane Matthews

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 01:08:01 +0000, NID2
wrote:

>THERE IS ALOT OF AMERICAN, BRITISH, FRENCH IN THE ARABIAN GULF COUNTRIES
    >AND HAVE BEEN ALWAYS TREATED GOOD, EVEN IF THEY BREAK THE LAW.
    >ITS SEEMS THAT MEDIA IS AFFECTING EVERY ONE OF YOU GUYS AND MAKE HATE
    >CONQUER YOUR SOUL TOWARDS ARABS.
    >AGIAN AND AGAIN 911 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALL ARABS AND MUSLIMS AS
    >WELL.
    >THANK U

Dear Santa,

Can I please have a new keyboard for Christmas. The one I have only
seems to do capitals.

Ta.

Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

gracejilly is an unknown quantity at this point

i am a US citizen. My fiance is not. We are separated for three years because he cannot come into the country unless he has a visa. he cannot get a visa unless he has family, a job, or a fiance who is a us citizen. hmmmmmmm we wait the torturous 3 years to get his divorce decree, we never exceed 90 day stay on visa waivers, we do not have criminal records, yet........we have to go through what we are all going through. I don't give a rat's arse if these muslim fellas (and ladies) are muslim, if they came into the country illegally, overstayed, or whatever they did illegally to gain entry......arrest them, deport them, and then let them sue the gov't. I am sorry, but a true believer if......I gotta play by the rules, you gotta play by the rules....no exception, no excuses.....
Old Dec 20th 2002, 10:01 am
Quinkman

THERE IS ALOT OF AMERICAN, BRITISH, FRENCH IN THE ARABIAN GULF COUNTRIES
AND HAVE BEEN ALWAYS TREATED GOOD, EVEN IF THEY BREAK THE LAW.
ITS SEEMS THAT MEDIA IS AFFECTING EVERY ONE OF YOU GUYS AND MAKE HATE
CONQUER YOUR SOUL TOWARDS ARABS.

AGIAN AND AGAIN 911 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALL ARABS AND MUSLIMS AS
WELL >>

possibly not, however, the deafening silence regarding 9/11 from the muslim
community deserves a check mark. The excuses for 9/11 from the muslim community
has prompted a well deserved caution.

Old Dec 20th 2002, 10:29 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

[i]
Let's take a poll...
How many people found, or did not find humor in this?
Its called Irony, its very funny for those who understand irony. Just put me on your kill file so I don't have to suffer you taking everything far too seriously!
Old Dec 20th 2002, 1:01 pm
Stephen H Houchen

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I didn't state any opinion. I only posted a
link to the article for discussion.

"Patrick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Stephen H Houchen
    > > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...64&u=/nm/2002-
    > > 1219/ts_nm/at"]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&u-
    > > =/nm/20021219/ts_nm/at[/url]
    > > tack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1
    > Whats your point? An extreme muslim group declares war on America and
    > you think there is no enemy within. If these people were arrested there
    > had to be a reason - its not legal to victimise groups. Lets see what
    > happens with these people, if they are not radicals they will be set
    > free and this being America they will sue the government for millions of
    > dollars which they will then plough back into terrorist activities
    > against the government! If they were arrested because they are suspected
    > of something then they must go through the legal process.
    > ]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...u=/nm/2002121-
    > 9/ts_nm/attack_immigration_dc_3&printer=1[/url]
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 20th 2002, 4:07 pm
L D Jones

Jim Battista wrote:
    >
    > mrtravel wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > bobzy wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Udall made a post the other day mentioning that he had heard of
    > >> people being put in handcuffs during interviews - looks like he
    > >> had a front seat view of what was about to crack wide open.
    > >>
    > >> The issue to me isn't quite so cut and dry as to merely consider
    > >> that many of these people probably overstayed their visas or
    > >> commited even worse crimes. The issue is that they were
    > >> blind-sided: they were asked to register; they were not asked to
    > >> turn themselves in for detention or deportation (at least this is
    > >> what I understand from the news stories).
    > >
    > > If they were violating visas, I can't imagine why they thought it
    > > would be OK to head on down to INS to register.
    >
    > Probably they thought they were in status. Lord knows it's easy enough
    > to lose status through failure to do some obscure thing.

The dates are on the documents. It's not hard to tell when you have
fallen out of status (AOS questions aside)

Old Dec 20th 2002, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

viking is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how many suicide bombers are rushing to go register with the ins. Let us be real here. Most illegal alliens are poor people leaving their countries in search of greener pastures.
Those involved in terrorism are rich kids who will have no problem getting a visitors or student visa to the US. Those with no money are sponsored by the likes of Osama.
By the way how will this registration raids deter people like John Walker
and Tim McVeigh.

Finally, I think that the immigration process in the US is a big pain in the rear. I moved to Norway with my Norweigian husband and it took me exactly two weeks and no dollars to get my residency and work permit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.