Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

Old Jul 8th 2015, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Jodiee182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

I applied for a B2 visa to go stay in the states for 6 months, to spend some time with family and friends. I could go for 3 months but I'm not back at uni until January and thought this would be a good opportunity to chill out and travel. I hastily applied for a B2 visa, without proper research, and have my interview next month. After looking in to it all I was wondering if it would be better for me just to cancel the interview and go for the 3month?

For the interview I planned on taking:
  • a letter from my work stating that I would be starting back in 6 months, it is only a supermarket though so not really a 'career'
  • a letter from my university advisor stating that I would be returning in January to complete my masters program
  • occupations and addresses for all friends and family I would be visiting
  • bank statements and proof of funds

I am only 23 years old and still live at home, so no dependents and no mortgage etc. Would it just be safer for me to cancel and go on the VWP? Also (possibly a silly question), does cancelling the interview count as being 'denied visa'?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Also forgot to mention, last year I stayed for the full 90 days on the VWP, would that make a difference?
Old Jul 8th 2015, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

If you have paid the fee, the only outcome is approved or denied. Cancelling the interview would count as a denial.

If you have not paid the fee, you may let the application lapse without penalty.

Any visa denial must be declared in future ESTA applications and may result in ESTA denial for a period (some say 6 months).
Old Jul 8th 2015, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Ahhhh bugger I paid the fee. God damn.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 1:03 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you get very lucky at the interview and are granted the B2 visa, you may as well forget about going to the USA for the forseeable future.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 1:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodiee182
All you can do now is give it your very best shot, with some sort of explanation that attempts to justify why you need to be in the US for more than 90 days. Have you considered hiking the Appalachian Trail?
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old Dutch saying: Too soon we grow old... too late we grow smart! Alas, this is what's happened here.

Since you have no alternative but to go to the interview, I suggest you take a very detailed itinerary with you... a day by day itinerary for the entire time you'll be in the US - outlining where you'll be, what activities are planned, and who'll you be with. Don't skimp on detail. If you have hotel reservations or a car hire, include that info.

Your job is to make it as easy as possible for the officer to approve your visa... and you will have to prove to him that 3 months really wasn't enough time to do what you wanted, but that 6 months (or 4 or 5) is enough time.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 9th 2015 at 2:28 am.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Unless you get very lucky at the interview and are granted the B2 visa, you may as well forget about going to the USA for the forseeable future.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's an old Dutch saying: Too soon we grow old... too late we grow smart! Alas, this is what's happened here.

Yeh, I had a bit of a panic last night but came to my senses and realised it's all my fault anyway so nothing to do now. Guess I'll just go on another trip to Europe, it's a tough life.

Thank you all anyway, for your advice AND for being much kinder than you could have been considering how silly I was!
Old Jul 9th 2015, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'll just go on another trip to Europe, it's a tough life.
Keep in mind that if you don't go to the interview, the visa will be summarily denied (because it clearly wasn't approved), and you must therefore declare that denial on every subsequent US visa - including ESTA - should you ever wish to travel to the US in the future.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Keep in mind that if you don't go to the interview, the visa will be summarily denied (because it clearly wasn't approved), and you must therefore declare that denial on every subsequent US visa - including ESTA - should you ever wish to travel to the US in the future.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I realise this now, will likely leave it a couple years before I apply for another ESTA. Like I said it's my own silly fault, awch well!
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian, I realise this now, will likely leave it a couple years before I apply for another ESTA. Like I said it's my own silly fault, awch well!
You've given up on the interview? Don't do that, so long as you attend the interview you have a chance! Present a good case and you could still get a visa, as you have already paid for your visa attending the interview is a zero risk option - there is no downside.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a couple of people who've reported here fairly recently that they did get a B-2 in similar circumstances to the OP, so it's certainly worth a try at least.

The anecdotal evidence that often comes up is that when these sort of applicants get denied, they usually don't even get a chance to provide any supporting evidence such as described in the first post above, and it appears that the ConOff has made up his/her mind before even seeing the applicant.

I've never had need to apply for a non-immigrant visa myself, but if there's any mechanism to upload scans of such evidence before going to the interview, so that there is a chance the ConOff will see them and take them into account, I'd say that's worth doing.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Like I said it's my own silly fault, awch well!
You're from Scotland? Me too! Born in Glasgow.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what would happen if the Op told the ConOff of her error and asked if they could just approve a single entry 3 month B1/2, that would provide no [real] benefit beyond VW, but would also not put a visa denial on her record. Not sure they are this practical, but could be a way out of being unable to visit for a couple of years post denial.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I wonder what would happen if the Op told the ConOff of her error and asked if they could just approve a single entry 3 month B1/2, that would provide no [real] benefit beyond VW, but would also not put a visa denial on her record. Not sure they are this practical, but could be a way out of being unable to visit for a couple of years post denial.
That's a very good idea and what I would do with a slight modification. I would come up with a good story as to how something has come up in your schedule that prevents you from staying beyond three months and you no longer have any need for a longer visa.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that will work. The visa is still a B2 visitor visa. Making it single entry doesn't change anything, most are normally given for 10-year validity, multiple entry unless you have a criminal history.

It's not up to the ConOff how long the applicant can stay in the USA, that's up to the POE officer at entry.

Even if the OP somehow gets a single entry B2 visa, valid only for 3 months, that just means the OP has to start his trip within those 3 months. At the US POE, the officer could still grant a 6-month stay in the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.