Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Would i face difficulties renewing my US B1/B2 visa ?

Would i face difficulties renewing my US B1/B2 visa ?

Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:31 am
Just Joined

chichi_87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would i face difficulties renewing my US B1/B2 visa ?

Hi everyone,
I was in the US in May 2016, to have my first child. At the POE, I was taken to secondary inspection after stating that my purpose of visit was mainly to have my baby. I had paid the hospital bill in advance and had enough money to cover all my expenses including emergencies. The CBP officer stamped me in but wrote "no AOS and COS" on my passport even though they confirmed that all the information I provided was true. My length of stay was not shortened and i stayed for 3months with a relative who was a permanent resident at that time. After I gave birth, I made sure I had no outstanding bills and I left the US making sure I didn't overstay the period allocated to me. Now I tend to renew my visa as it expired in March 2017, would I face challenges because of the inscription on my passport? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would i face difficulties renewing my US B1/B2 visa ?

No AOS and COS means "no adjustment of status" and no "change of status" during the entry they pertain to. The point of these is that they give anyone else at CBP a heads up to scrutinise you further upon any attempts to alter your immigration stats.

No-one has to abide by these, and whilst I suspect USICS will ask what it was about when you next apply for a B1/2, I doubt there would be an impact.

Are you not eligible for the VWP?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your response shiversaint,
No, Im not eligible.
Guess I'll just hope for the best
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:16 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I suspect USICS will ask what it was about when you next apply for a B1/2
Just to clarify, DOS/Consulates processes B1/B2 visa applications in their entirety and USCIS does not ask anything.

I would not be concerned, but prepared to establish that the bills were all paid and the departure was timely.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Chichi, make sure to include proof that your medical bills were fully paid when you apply for your next B1/2.

I had been living in the US for 15 years when my son was born and moved to the UK temporarily when he was about 16 months old. When it was time to head back to the US 2 years later, the consular officer requested proof of payment for his birth. I told her that insurance had covered it but was told we needed proof. I then had to call the hospital's billing department and luckily was able to get the documentation needed and send it to the consulate.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks @crg and @fbf2006, I'll make sure to include them in my next application.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 6:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This does not pertain to your question but why did you insist on having your child in the US rather than where you were living. I can see several reasons such as wanting a US Citizen child would could petition for your residency when they reach 21, lack of good medical care in your place of residency, difficulties anticipated in the birth itself or a health issue with the child you were carrying. And please you don't have to answer the question. Just ignore me and it if you wish.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Rete, she's most likely from Nigeria, as I am. I know a few people who decided to have their kids in the US or UK. A lot of it has to do with the medical care and some to do with having a US citizen child, I'm sure. At least the ones that go to the UK don't get to have a UK citizen child, but still decide to go there for the medical care. Regarding the US citizen child, it is more about the child being able to attend college in the US more so, than petitioning for the parents.

Last edited by fbf2006; Oct 4th 2017 at 7:34 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it is free in the UK, not so in the US.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
"free"
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

What are you saying is free in the UK?
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Is it free in the UK? I thought it wasn't.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fbf2006
Is it free in the UK? I thought it wasn't.
NHS

US does have Emergency Medicaid mind you.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:49 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is free in the UK.
Not for non-residents.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

NHS

US does have Emergency Medicaid mind you.
Not for non-residents as far as I was aware. Anyway the few people I know that do this tend to be more well off than the average citizen and pay cash for their delivery before and after their arrival. The doctor/hospital is set up before they arrive. They don’t just show up in the emergency room in labor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.