Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help on Petition, h-3 visa and extension for visitor visa

Help on Petition, h-3 visa and extension for visitor visa

Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:57 am
Just Joined

kinym_xcz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on Petition, h-3 visa and extension for visitor visa

Hi everyone,

I came to New York to be with my boyfriend whom I have been with for about 2 years now under the Visitor Visa. I am from New Zealand and now living with my boyfriend since June 2008, My I-94 will expire on late December and my return ticket is set for the second week of December.

I really want to be here with him and live with him for good so I started looking for jobs and companies who will sponsor me to work in US. Out of the thousand jobs I applied, the only company who was willing to petition me was a telecommunication company called GAIA (Global Alliance for International Advancements). They hired me as a contact agent for their clients and have signed my petition papers under an H-3 trainee visa. I only have an international certificate on Travel and Tourism and can only meet the standards of the H-3 Visa. Sure enough, on early October GAIA signed my petition and was sent to USCIS. I paid the application fee of $320 as the company did not want to spend money on me yet. Right now, my petition is still currently pending and due to be processed at least 2 months after submission.

Since my petition is still pending, my I-94 is still due to expire on late December, so have decided to apply for the extension of stay for the mean time using the I-539 form. Now this is tricky, USCIS rules out to send this extension application at least 45 days prior to the expiration of the current I-94 authorized date of stay. But when we look at the time frame for this application on the USCIS website, it is not finalized and processed until February. By then my current I-94 will expire long before I will know if my extension was approved or denied. I have been reading some blogs and information on staying after the expiration of the I-94 for the sake of waiting for the extension to be approved, but the only good it will bring is if the extension is actually approved in the end, if it's denied then I am due to be deported and all my US visa that ties with in my passport will then be voided for good. Then that means the next time I want to visit my boyfriend, I would have to reapply for a visitor visa which will be a little complicated in the eyes of US embassy with a background of illegal overstay or deportation. I may never be granted any US visa at all for as long as 10 years.

On the other hand we still have the work petition pending, the Premium Process service speeds up the process up to 15 calendar days for the price of $1000, which is the money that we do not have right now. They say that they will also tie in the application for the I-539 wit this Premium process service but they do not guaranteed that it will be processed faster than a regularly filed I-539.

We initially planned to get married, but since we are a Gay couple, we are not recognized under the immigration law which is the same as the Federal law. This means even if we get married, our paper will only be as good as a paper, it will not grant us the same immigration rights and benefits that straight couple gets.

I already applied for the Lottery Greencard for the year 2010 and will be expecting for the results mid 2009.

We have used all the legal advices and assistance that we could get from family and friends. We have been professional and lawful about the immigration law but it seems like everything is floating up in the air and do not know when everything will finally settle.

I really want to stay with my lover but from our knowledge, I legally have no choice but to use my return plane ticket on December before my I-94 expires.

Do you know or can anyone suggest anything else that we could possibly do for me to stay here longer without having to go back on December?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on Petition, h-3 visa and extension for visitor visa

Originally Posted by kinym_xcz
I am from New Zealand and now living with my boyfriend since June 2008.
No... you're not living with him. You are visiting with him. From an immigration POV, there's a whopping big difference between the two!

... but the only good it will bring is if the extension is actually approved in the end, if it's denied then I am due to be deported and all my US visa that ties with in my passport will then be voided for good.
Yes.

I may never be granted any US visa at all for as long as 10 years.
Yes.

... the Premium Process service speeds up the process up to 15 calendar days for the price of $1000...
Not quite true. You *will* get a response within 15 calendar days, but that response may not necessarily be an approval. In fact, they may respond and tell you that it'll take another 90 days to finish processing.

I legally have no choice but to use my return plane ticket on December before my I-94 expires.
In the long run, this really is the best solution. It's the only course of action that leaves all other options open and possible for the future.

Do you know or can anyone suggest anything else that we could possibly do for me to stay here longer without having to go back on December?
Talk to an immigration lawyer, disclose *everything*, and see what s/he suggests. You may be surprised!

Ian
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you googled GAIA? Do you understand the type of operation you are dealing with.

I would have thought that the same rules apply as for a H1, the Company pays most of it, the Company's lawyers handle it.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Talk to an immigration lawyer, disclose *everything*, and see what s/he suggests. You may be surprised!

Ian
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, did you note in the first post "We initially planned to get married, but since we are a Gay couple, we are not recognized under the immigration law which is the same as the Federal law. "?

Do you think there is another option open to him (that I'm not thinking of)?