Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Working in a US office of a UK company for 3 months (and bringing my wife)

Working in a US office of a UK company for 3 months (and bringing my wife)

Old Apr 28th 2017, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

3N1GM4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in a US office of a UK company for 3 months (and bringing my wife)

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just found three posts in the queue as they had links in them. I deleted your last post as it obviously became a duplicate. Not sure where they were hiding previously. Weird things happen from time to time.
No problem, I thought I was going mad, so good to know they were there somewhere! I'll delete one of my other recent posts (if I can), which is also now a duplicate. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in a US office of a UK company for 3 months (and bringing my wife)

Originally Posted by 3N1GM4
No problem, I thought I was going mad, so good to know they were there somewhere! I'll delete one of my other recent posts (if I can), which is also now a duplicate. Thanks for your help!
Sorry about that. We sometimes have gremlins here at BE...they like to play with Mods' minds.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this is technically a requirement for entry under VWP/ESTA...
Never say "technically" when, in fact, you mean "actually".

... although it will not reset the 90 day period for the purposes of my VWP/ESTA situation...
It will, in fact, reset the clock.

... is there anything I should be concerned about in undertaking this trip?
The only thing I can think of is that you're not actually (note: not technically) allowed to work in the US for your employer. Doing business is okay... doing work is not. There is no official definition (see below re: documentation).

Are there any other considerations I'm forgetting about (will my UK driving licence be acceptable for a 90 day lease/rental of a car for example, do I need to consider any special travel/health insurance for the duration of the trip, or anything else)?
These are not actually immigration-related questions.

Is there a definition somewhere of exactly what activities are allowed under VWP?
No.

Do you have a link to any official documentation which makes this clear?
There isn't any. This is by design - because it allows the CBP officer at the port of entry the widest possible latitude to do his job - which is, by the way, to keep non-US citizens out of the US. The laws are often non-specific, the regulations are vague, the rules are vague... all by design.

Where would I find these residency requirements for each state?
I suggest using Google!

I cannot find any definition of "skilled or unskilled labor"...
See above re: documentation.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2017, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

3N1GM4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response Ian, although it's obviously not what I wanted to hear!

I did Google for the relevant information with regards to driving in the States I will be visiting, but the DMV websites for these states did not appear to hold any information regarding this and searching specifically for the terms used in the original post didn't yield anything either.

It sounds like driving is the least of my concerns anyway.

So on the basis that it sounds like I cannot complete this trip under the VWP, what visa would I likely require? B-1? H-2B? L? Does anyone have experience in applying for these visa from the UK in a similar situation who could offer any advice?

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to respond - I'm sorry if I'm asking "stupid" or naive questions - I'm just working from the situation in front of me as I see it.

Last edited by 3N1GM4; Apr 28th 2017 at 4:17 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response Ian, although it's obviously not what I wanted to hear!

I did Google for the relevant information with regards to driving in the States I will be visiting, but the DMV websites for these states did not appear to hold any information regarding this and searching specifically for the terms used in the original post didn't yield anything either.

It sounds like driving is the least of my concerns anyway.

So on the basis that it sounds like I cannot complete this trip under the VWP, what visa would I likely require? B-1? H-2B? L? Does anyone have experience in applying for these visa from the UK in a similar situation who could offer any advice?

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to respond - I'm sorry if I'm asking "stupid" or naive questions - I'm just working from the situation in front of me as I see it.
This forum is for visa and citizenship questions only. Please address any other questions you may have, i.e. Rental car, driving etc in the US forum. Thank you.

Edit: If I was in your shoes I would ask an immigration lawyer...not the lawyer your company may or may not be using. If you fall foul of US Immigration it is your neck on the block...not your company's.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 28th 2017 at 5:06 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So on the basis that it sounds like I cannot complete this trip under the VWP, what visa would I likely require?
That's a good question - and you're probably not going to like the answer... but there may not be a visa suitable for your purpose.

B-1? H-2B? L?
I don't think any of these are suitable.

I'm sorry if I'm asking "stupid" or naive questions - I'm just working from the situation in front of me as I see it.
The questions are fine - this is how we learn. However, I think your premise may need adjusting. You're working from the assumption that what you want to do is possible. That may not be a valid assumption.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2017, 12:51 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I am struggling to see why your presence is required in the USA. Please could you elaborate what exactly you would be doing that: a) cannot be done by any USC and b) cannot be done remotely. I'm not at all IT literate but the Ex-Husband in the U.K was a network administrator and almost everything could be done remotely. Even if the job requires something physical (such as cable A needs to pushed into port B) there are plenty of USCs that can do that.

Attending meetings and conferences, signing contracts and so on are permitted on the VWP but it's not possible to transplant your job for 90 days.

Regarding resetting your clock, I once entered at Blaine, WA by land and it was 6 weeks since my previous visit. They refused to give me another stamp and said I was still on my original 90 days because I was entering through Canada. Anything within the North American geographical area won't re-set the 90 days. I showed my ticket that proved I'd arrived at Vancouver airport from the U.K. a few hours ago but to no avail. So if you are looking at flight options for the weekend trip home, routing through Canada isn't a good idea. That's if the whole thing ever happens anyway.

Re travel insurance. If you take out a regular travel insurance policy and something happens at the office the travel insurance company might use the fact that you were not a bona fide tourist to deny a claim.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can certainly get Travel Insurance for work visits, been there done that.

Used to be quite common for the big financial institutions to bring in Indian IT workers for 6 month stints on a B, not all made it but many did. A numbers game.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

B-1 in lieu of a H-1B?