work authorization

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

black_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Question work authorization

I got married with a USC 3 months ago... I sent my full i485 package (i485, i130, G325As for me and for my wife, i693, AOS) to USCIS chicago.. I heard that new regulations say that I can start working since my full package is sent to USCIS.. this is a very new regulation, a lady who works in a immigration law office told us...

How long does it take to receive a response from them??
Should I wait for the receipt from them and then apply for I-765??
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work authorization

Originally Posted by black_eagle
I got married with a USC 3 months ago... I sent my full i485 package (i485, i130, G325As for me and for my wife, i693, AOS) to USCIS chicago.. I heard that new regulations say that I can start working since my full package is sent to USCIS.. this is a very new regulation, a lady who works in a immigration law office told us...

Hi black eagle,

I have not heard of this new regulation. As far as I know, unless you were here on a work visa before, you must wait for your EAD to come, after you have filed the I-765, which you should have filed along with all your AOS paperwork.

The EAD takes about 3 months or more to get, once you file the I-765. The NOA from filing AOS does not carry work authorization with it, that I know of.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

News to me. Why did you not send in the I-765 form with the rest?

Nothing is going to happen until you apply for the EAD. I believe you can now do this online. Go to the USCIS site - you should find all the forms and explanations there. Make sure you check the up-to-date fees as the ones on the forms are sometimes incorrect.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

black_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Before that new regulation, my wife called USCIS and they told us it`s faster to wait for a receipt from them (which takes 3 weeks) and apply to EAD in San Diego district office (im not sure what the exact name is) with that receipt.. Work authorization card will be given on the same day..

And this lady from the lawyer office told us new regulations let me work with that receipt although I`m not sure about that..

currently I`m working in a company and my OPT (this is a student work authorization) will expire in 31/12/2005.. should I quit the job after that date? I talked to my boss and he wants to keep me..

How risky is it to work without that authorization for a couple of months??
Can I keep working without paychecks?? (I can collect them after I get my work authorization card)

I dont know what I`m gonna do
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Before that new regulation, my wife called USCIS and they told us it`s faster to wait for a receipt from them (which takes 3 weeks) and apply to EAD in San Diego district office (im not sure what the exact name is) with that receipt.. Work authorization card will be given on the same day..

And this lady from the lawyer office told us new regulations let me work with that receipt although I`m not sure about that..

currently I`m working in a company and my OPT (this is a student work authorization) will expire in 31/12/2005.. should I quit the job after that date? I talked to my boss and he wants to keep me..

How risky is it to work without that authorization for a couple of months??
Can I keep working without paychecks?? (I can collect them after I get my work authorization card)

Hi again,

I don't know anything about OPT, so I can't really contribute anything else to this thread. But I do know that EADs are no longer given on a walk-in basis, that I know of. It is all handled through the Chicago lockbox, which is where you sent your AOS paperwork. You could have saved some time by sending the I-765 along with that. But, you can still send the I-765 now. Just include a copy of the I-485 that you filed, to show them you've filed it. Not sure how this will affect your OPT category. Perhaps you can continue working on your OPT category until your AOS is complete, and that's why you didn't need an EAD? I really have no idea. You might want to consult an immigration attorney to see what your options are.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... my wife called USCIS...
The person she spoke to is an idiot!

And this lady from the lawyer office...
You seem to have received poor advice from this person also!

Ian