Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Why USCIS takes so long for FBI background check clearance?

Why USCIS takes so long for FBI background check clearance?

Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
vkirans123

Default Why USCIS takes so long for FBI background check clearance?

Hi fellows,

My friend who applied aos through spouse, us citizen. He had interview
on Dec 2004. Since then his I-485 has not been approved because USCIS
said they are holding for FBI background check clearance. This guy
hasn't has any criminal history.

I don't understand one thing why USCIS is taking so long timefor
clearance. Now a days on computer world, all the criminal history is
in computer. One push of button people can find someone background.

Anybody has any idea. Please share your ideas and thoughts. I
appreciate for your time

frustrated cowboy

Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why USCIS takes so long for FBI background check clearance?

Originally Posted by vkirans123
Hi fellows,

appreciate for your time

frustrated cowboy
It's not all done by computer. If, for some reason, his name produces a "hit", meaning his name is similar enough to someone's name who is a potential criminal, then investigation is done manually to determine whether your friend is or is not this person. That can take a long time.

Another common thing that happens is that the security checks are done in a timely manner, but for some reason have trouble getting matched up to the correct file by USCIS, then the file gets sent to storage, it never gets matched up, etc.

Has your friend made an Infopass appointment to inquire in person?

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:19 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fellows,

appreciate for your time

frustrated cowboy
I work with a guy from Pakistan who had his AOS interview in 2003, and he is still waiting!. I would go with the previous comment - make an infopass appointment, or ask a your Congressional rep to find out whats going on.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS does not do the checks, the checks are done by the FBI (name and prints), CIA, IBIS and other agencies. It is not as simple as the push of one button. If only it were.

Your friend should avail himself of congressional assistance in attempting to determine the status of his security check. He should also be visiting the District Office at least once every two months to hound them about it.

This topic has been discussed ad nuseaum for years now. Google is your friend and your friend's friend.

Hi fellows,

appreciate for your time

frustrated cowboy
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
USCIS does not do the checks, the checks are done by the FBI (name and prints), CIA, IBIS and other agencies. It is not as simple as the push of one button. If only it were.

Your friend should avail himself of congressional assistance in attempting to determine the status of his security check. He should also be visiting the District Office at least once every two months to hound them about it.

This topic has been discussed ad nuseaum for years now. Google is your friend and your friend's friend.
Congressional assistance does F-All. All you get is that checks are "pending".

The District Office will say that they check every week whether the clearance has come though and that they can't do F-All else.

The whole thing is a F'ing scandal.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Taterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud of

I agree with Elvira.....Senators as well as congressmen can't do anything to expediate or even get any valuable info for you except the word I have heard a million times for the past 2 years....."pending". Even hitting these people up at election time didn't do squat for me. Don't even bother them. I am sure this can be somewhat frustrating for them too. Let them work on things that are within their control. Sorry if I sound so negative, but I have been down this dead end many times and I hate to see another person waste their time.
Just learn to get used to the INS.....same shit....different pile!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

GarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Taterbug
I agree with Elvira...
I've been waiting for 3.5 years now, and I tend to agree, too: from what I can see, congressional reps aren't able to influence or expedite in any way (I can't say I've been convinced that such intervention ever actually speeds things up, given media coverage of much higher-profile cases that don't get expedited), and just becomes a frustration for them, too.

I go to the INS constantly and all they tell me is that it is still pending. Getting annoyed or frustrated with them doesn't help - and nor, in my experience, does being nice, pleading and polite. It's very easy to pass the buck to the FBI, too, of course.

I think it's obscene, frankly, that a check like this could possibly be taking this long. If I were a threat, it's ridiculous that I could go about my business for years at a time, and if I'm not a threat, then approve my petition already.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethMc
I've been waiting for 3.5 years now, ...............If I were a threat, it's ridiculous that I could go about my business for years at a time, and if I'm not a threat, then approve my petition already.
Ah, but that would mean applying logic, wouldn't it - and since when have immigration rules, and their implementation, been logical?

Your are right, of course - it is obscene. But who cares - after all, we can't even vote, and the 'citizens' are too obsessed with illegal immigration to care about those who are trying to do it the legal way.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:46 pm
vkirans123

Hi,
Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.

He has been INS so many times. All he got reply was case hasn't been
approved cuz it is in pending status. With my suggestion, he did
congressional inquiry. He got same reply . case is pending cuz FBI has
not clear name check. He has done 2 times in 1 year. Today, he is
contacting senator from texas to inquire FBI name clearance. Lets see
what will happen. I wish somone could expedite the process cuz he
isnot a national threat.

Thanks Again.

Frustrated Cowboy

Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

These were some of the systems available to them a year ago
most likely more now

CLASS (Consular Lookout and Support System) DOS
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) makes entries into this database.
- NCIC (see below) is now integrated into CLASS
CCD (Consolidated Consular Database)
- contains SEVIS (see below) data for consulars to access.

NCIC (National Crime Information Center)
- contains criminal record information for police to check when they stop or arrest someone.
- NLETS (National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System)
- above systems contain more than 7 million names, including information from state/local law enforcement agencies (including charges such as "shoplifting," DWI, etc.)

NAILS II (National Automated Immigration Lookout System II) DHS
- NIIS (Nonimmigrant Information System), containing nonimmigrant visa denial information, arrival/departure/overstay (I-94) information.

IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System)
- ADIS (Arrival Departure Information System)

TECS (US Customs' Treasury Enforcement Communications Systems)

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)

NSEERS (National Security Entry Exit Registration System)

APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System)

ADIS (Arrival Departure Information System)

IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System)

IDENT (Automated Biometric Identification System)

CLAIMS 3 (Computer Linked Application Information Management System)

CHIMERA

US VISIT

TAL (Technological Alert List)