Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

what are my options after visa waiver?

what are my options after visa waiver?

Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:24 am
Just Joined

casper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond repute
Default what are my options after visa waiver?

Hi there,
I need some help. It's a common story - my boyfriend is American and I have been coming in on the visa waiver programme. I came for 6 weeks, went back to England for 2 weeks and then came back for what is now nearly 3 months.
I know that the Visa waiver thing is tricky and haven't decided whether to try my luck again.
What I want to know is what are my other options? What are the chances of me getting a J1 visa? I have a journalism degree and relevant experience - would this be a good way to go? I work as a freelance writer but for an i visa you have to be contracted to a company, which I'm not.
My other thought was could I apply for a B1/2 visa saying I had to work on research for an article/book? At least then i could stay for up to 6 months couldn't I?
I am a bit confused so could do with some advice - and no getting married just yet is not an option!
Thankyou
Emma
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are my options after visa waiver?

Originally Posted by casper
Hi there,
I need some help. It's a common story - my boyfriend is American and I have been coming in on the visa waiver programme. I came for 6 weeks, went back to England for 2 weeks and then came back for what is now nearly 3 months.
I know that the Visa waiver thing is tricky and haven't decided whether to try my luck again.
What I want to know is what are my other options? What are the chances of me getting a J1 visa? I have a journalism degree and relevant experience - would this be a good way to go? I work as a freelance writer but for an i visa you have to be contracted to a company, which I'm not.
My other thought was could I apply for a B1/2 visa saying I had to work on research for an article/book? At least then i could stay for up to 6 months couldn't I?
I am a bit confused so could do with some advice - and no getting married just yet is not an option!
Thankyou
Emma

I cannot help you with your questions but one thing I do know: make absolutely certain that you do leave the US before your 90 days are up.

That's 90 days, not 3 months, btw...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:05 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casper
Hi there,
Thankyou
Emma
OK, I'll bite. My advice is not to abuse your privileges to travel to the US (note that they are privileges, not rights). You are well aware that you are skirting the borders of acceptability as far as the USCIS goes.

You sound as though you have investigated what particular options there are for you, so you can make your own mind up.

However, you may find yourself in the position of having to tell a lie to USCIS to gain entry, or face refusal. Hint: it is really, really dumb to lie to the USCIS unless you have no intention of ever coming back here.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best to bite the bullet and go for a Fiancee or Spouse visa, the others look iffy to say the least, especially the B.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:42 pm
Capt. Tuttle

casper wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I need some help. It's a common story - my boyfriend is American and I
    > have been coming in on the visa waiver programme. I came for 6 weeks,
    > went back to England for 2 weeks and then came back for what is now
    > nearly 3 months.
    > I know that the Visa waiver thing is tricky and haven't decided whether
    > to try my luck again.
    > What I want to know is what are my other options? What are the chances
    > of me getting a J1 visa? I have a journalism degree and relevant
    > experience - would this be a good way to go? I work as a freelance
    > writer but for an i visa you have to be contracted to a company, which
    > I'm not.
    > My other thought was could I apply for a B1/2 visa saying I had to work
    > on research for an article/book? At least then i could stay for up to 6
    > months couldn't I?
    > I am a bit confused so could do with some advice - and no getting
    > married just yet is not an option!
    > Thankyou
    > Emma
    >

A J1 visa requires a DS-2019 which is sent to you by a sponser.
Search for J-1 visa and/or DS-2019 and you will find the information
that will explain them to you.