Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to move to the US to pursue a career in music?

What is the best way to move to the US to pursue a career in music?

Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

ls2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best way to move to the US to pursue a career in music?

I am not sure if I want to live there permanently, however I would like stay there for at least 2 years to network with others and look for ways to get my work out.
I already went to New York to talk to employers, schools, and relatives who moved there from different countries and I found that the easiest way would be a F1 Student Visa and look for opportunities to obtain a work permit whilst in the country.
My cousin told me she entered as a medical student but was then recruited into the army as a medic after completing her course.
What would be the best way for me to go about this?
I currently have £10,000 ($15,000) saved up.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best way to move to the US to pursue a career in music?

Marriage
Transfer with existing job
Find a new job in the US.
Study for advanced Degree. (Or any, but can be costly.) Also check J1 visa.
Invest in a US Business.

First two are easiest. America is very difficult to emigrate to generally but you do mention you're not specifically looking for a permanent move so the pursuit of something student related may be of interest. However $15,000 won't go far.

Read this thoroughly
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

What do you mean a career in music? It's a highly competitive area.
What qualifications and experience do you already have?
(You mentioned getting your work out...have you already produced material of your own?)

You can also check out
http://www.fullsail.edu/
http://calarts.edu/

You'll have LinkedIn, Facebook, a website or all of those?

Come back with specific questions.

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 9th 2015 at 10:59 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have an agent? I think there is a way for a US based agent to sponsor you for an O visa, not easy though.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Feb 9th 2015 at 10:55 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Marriage
Transfer with existing job
Find a new job in the US.
Study for advanced Degree. (Or any, but can be costly.) Also check J1 visa.
Invest in a US Business.

First two are easiest. America is very difficult to emigrate to generally but you do mention you're not specifically looking for a permanent move so the pursuit of something student related may be of interest. However $15,000 won't go far.

Read this thoroughly
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

(You mentioned getting your work out...have you already produced material of your own?)

You can also check out
Full Sail University: Campus and Online Degrees
CalArts | California Institute of the Arts

Come back with specific questions.
I have worked for various companies as a composer in the UK, I have also worked for an LA based company composing royalty free music for their website, however they paid me through Paypal and it was an online job so I couldn't get a sponsorship to actually live in the US.
I have not yet attended University and I'm not sure if I'm going to go down that path. I have completed 2 different apprenticeships in the UK.
I heard that $15,000 is around the average cost for a semester in a US educational facility for an international student and I also read that after 6 months I can work for 20 hours a week.
I would like to be able to study a course specifically to do with music as it would be easier for me to make connections that way, however the problem is that a lot of the schools I have looked into are big name universities (such as Yale school of music, or NYU music school) which obviously require more money and qualifications than I have.
One of my options is to find a school that is willing to accept me and just take any course there so I can get the Visa. However my desired goal is to study music with other aspiring musicians and create more contacts for myself.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Do you have an agent? I think there is a way for a US based agent to sponsor you for an O visa, not easy though.
I know 2 musicians who successfully navigated the O visa route. IIRC, it took quite some time, & lots of hard work, especially from the US-side (agents, lawyers, peer references...).

(Wasn't there a thread here last year by/about a composer getting an O visa? My search powers seem to be failing me today)

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 9th 2015 at 11:32 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Wasn't there a thread here last year by/about a composer getting an O visa?
I'll let someone else find the thread - but yes, you're absolutely right. There was a thread last year by a composer trying to get to the US.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I know 2 musicians who successfully navigated the O visa route. IIRC, it took quite some time, & lots of hard work, especially from the US-side (agents, lawyers, peer references...).

(Wasn't there a thread here last year by/about a composer getting an O visa? My search powers seem to be failing me today)
Do you recall how he actually entered the country? Did he come in as a visitor or something else?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll let someone else find the thread - but yes, you're absolutely right. There was a thread last year by a composer trying to get to the US.

Ian
(Thanks, my brain retains all sorts of odd trivia, but not always *where* I read/learnt it !)

Lily77 appears to be the poster I was thinking of; she had several threads touching on the O subject, unfortunately copying & pasting links is beyond me & my dumb phone ).

[Ls2012, looks like we cross posted; try searching the board for Lily77]
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ls2012
Do you recall how he actually entered the country? Did he come in as a visitor or something else?
One of them 1st went to the U.S. on tour. I do not know the specific details, but do know that immigration formalities went right down to the wire (I.e. He got visa less than 24 hours before flying out). Once he started getting regular & frequent gigs, he went for the O and moved to NYC, with advice & support from his agent.

The 2nd messed about for a few years with a B1, until he got pulled up & told to get his act (no pun intended!) in order.

Neither are "names", but both are primarily performers. I have no idea about composers.

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 10th 2015 at 12:43 am.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:43 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
This one?

composer
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the best bet is as some sort of student.

Check out those educational links I sent, see if there's any way in by that route.

However a more sensible approach might be to find work in the UK/Europe so you can build up some recognition. With the internet you can still build up a profile. That way you might not be blowing you hard earned money on a course that may not lead to anything substantial. Or you can still do this later when you are more financially stable.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RICH
This one?

composer

Interesting.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
This one?
Yup - that's it. Thanks!

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2015, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, from what I read that guy was also offered a job in LA while he was visiting which is why he was allegeable for the visa. What requirements would I need to fulfil my goal using this visa?
My dad is actually an immigration lawyer but he only takes cases for people entering the UK. However he told me he is going to get in contact with some lawyers he knows in the states and ask about my case and he told me the whole legal side of it won't be any trouble financially.
So aside from legal fees what else would I need?
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ls2012
What requirements would I need to fulfil my goal using this visa?
With respect, nothing you have written so far indicates that you're eligible for any sort of visa. F-1 visas have specific requirements, and there are restrictions on working (hint = Google is your friend); O-1 visas have specific requirements, one of which is ability (repeat hint); all visas have specific requirements (repeat hint). You have a computer... I suggest you use it to do some real research. Did you bother to read the Pulaski link you received back in post #2? If not, I suggest you read it. Most people in the world will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

So aside from legal fees what else would I need?
Sufficient talent or ability. You may have it... you may not. You're the only one who can make that determination.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.