Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What Is The Best Profession To Move To The US With?

What Is The Best Profession To Move To The US With?

Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is The Best Profession To Move To The US With?

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
That’s an interesting proposition. I never considered that.

I wonder if I could do distance learning through a US institution? Basically remain in the UK but get the US Masters. Something like the Open University in the UK.
Almost certainly, many US unis offer on-line degrees, but whether a purely on-line degree has much credibility if prospective employers find out it was puely on-line is another matter. ..... That said, IME in most cases you won't be asked, and nobody will ever pay much attention, .... but they might in a heavyweight science or technology subject, where practical lab work would typically be expected.

You pays your money and you takes you choice. ..... But you should definitely research what the status of such a degree would be vis-a-vis the "protected" H-1 visa class for holders of US Masters degrees!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:10 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT
Hi there,

I'm planning on moving to the US from the UK in about 10 years time. Of course, the VISA application will prove to be difficult. There only seems to be two ways available to me which is an investor VISA (which I don't have the money for) or being sponsored by a US company (which I probably don't have the qualifications for).

With time on my side, I have the luxury of pursuing a degree/masters degree in order to make the move in the future. The problem is choosing the right degree. Salary isn't really the important aspect of it as I am in a good job here meaning my house should be paid off which probably means I can buy a house outright when I move so at least I won't have a mortgage to worry about.

If anyone has any insight to what industries would be wise to gear myself up for, then I would be grateful. I am fairly IT literate so I was wondering if something related to IT would be a good idea. Perhaps I could find a job with Microsoft or Apple in the UK and then transfer to the US later down the line.

Thanks.
I decided to do something similar at about age 21, and your estimate is right, it took me about 10 years (I maybe could have done it a year or 2 faster with more focus, but I also gave living in New Zealand a try). I already had a UG degree and during those 10 year worked my way up to a Managment Level role in a small finance / technology company with a US parent company. I also completed a post graduate degree in business (while in New Zealnd). After I had worked for the European subsidiary for a couple of years they decided to move me to NYC. Their lawyer filed for an L1a visa and after I arrived they also filed an application for an EB1c Green Card, that process took about another year.

Doable if you are focused and as a bonus getting to the level for an L1a to apply in the right industry also has some financial benefits.

Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:22 am
Just Joined

aquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP has an IT or software engineering inclination I don't think you can go too far wrong to focus on these areas in the UK. You really need to follow technology trends and anticipate where there is going to be a future shortage. For example at the moment in the SF Bay Area it is really, really hard to find good data analysts and data scientists for all the various social and e-commerce platforms starting up, and literally everyone wants to hire front and back end web developers. These are the roles employers will readily sponsor visas for or transfer personnel from UK based subsidiaries. As a manager I have written letters in support of sponsored individuals several times. The trick for you is to anticipate in what fields there is going to be a future demand when you are ready in 10-years, so you need to keep connected.

When I emigrated to the USA 21 years ago working in feature film visual effects technology was an example then. There was a huge shortage of skilled professionals in that area and it almost seemed there was a dedicated plane regularly landing at Heathrow you could just walk into and get a new job and life in the USA. Though I never planned it that way, it was clear that there would be a window of demand that would eventually close so I made the move. Those days have long gone in my industry unless you are an exceptional talent as home grown skills have saturated demand, but windows will open in other upcoming industries and fields you can target. Some are not that hard to identify, AI, VR/AR FinTech for example.

Chris

Last edited by aquatone; Feb 17th 2018 at 6:36 am.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

A bit late to this party but just wanted to note that in the software engineering field there’s a huge number of medium to large (but not huge) companies with a presence in both the US and the UK. All three companies I’ve worked for in the US have had a trans-Atlantic reach and only my current employer is in any sense a “household name” and is not of the Facebook, Apple, Google size and probably never will be.