Family Sponsorship

Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

richyje7727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Sponsorship

ok, so just a quick question

I am thinking of making a move to the USA and looking down the E2 route.

However, I also want to look at the family route. My sister is married to a US citizen (approx 9 years) and they currently live in the UK. Would it be possible for my sister to apply for for LPR or citizenship (whilst living in the UK) and to sponsor me (and my wife and 3 kids) ?

How long is the process likely to take ?

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Sponsorship

Originally Posted by richyje7727
Would it be possible for my sister to apply for for LPR or citizenship (whilst living in the UK) and to sponsor me (and my wife and 3 kids) ?
No. LPR's cannot sponsor brothers and sisters and by definition have to live in the USA or their status will be considered abandoned. Your sister would have to apply for an immigrant visa, move to the US, live here for 3 years then naturalize as a US citizen before she could sponsor you.

After your sister has become a US citizen, 15 years at least I imagine. They are currently processing cases filed on or before August 22nd 2004, assuming you were born in the UK.

Basically, forget it.

Last edited by Olly_; Feb 19th 2018 at 4:47 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:45 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

And sibling sponsorship is widely rumored to be on the list for being axed in the next round of immigration reform.

If your sister isn't even living in the US, then she's not a resident. She may well have a green card in her possession but it means nothing unless you live here.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
.... If your sister isn't even living in the US, then she's not a resident. She may well have a green card in her possession but it means nothing unless you live here.
It sounds like she just happens to be married to a US and doesn't even have a green card, not that it matters because she'd not only have to be a citizen to sponsor a sibling, she would also have to be living in the US.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richyje7727
ok, so just a quick question

I am thinking of making a move to the USA and looking down the E2 route.

However, I also want to look at the family route. My sister is married to a US citizen (approx 9 years) and they currently live in the UK. Would it be possible for my sister to apply for for LPR or citizenship (whilst living in the UK) and to sponsor me (and my wife and 3 kids) ?

Thanks
No