Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Well, its been a long time coming--Atlanta SSN

Well, its been a long time coming--Atlanta SSN

Old Jan 29th 2001, 3:09 pm
SUPORRR

I have posted several times about our experience in obtaining a SS card down here in
Atlanta, now we have some closure.

We orginally appiled in June 2000, at the downtown location in Atlanta, after getting no
response we applied again in July of 2000, again no response. Than we got a tip that we
should have gone outside of Atlanta to apply, but we didn't go far enough because we had
problems at the Northlake office in August.

Though we didn't get the card at the Northlake location we figure to apply again and
again. They placed us in the system! Yeppppppp Since my husband EAD card was to expire
soon, they mailed a letter to us stating just that in October. A month later we got a
letter from INS stating that the renewal is set for Nov 27, 2000. We got the EAD card in a
matter of an hour, left and headed straight to SSA. SSA didn't offer to give an SS card in
two weeks, but told us we would have to wait an additional 6-8 weeks before we would be
able to obtain the card. Well, with continuous calls to SSA 800# we still didn't have
nothing and than was deleted from the system because they didn't reput the information.

Well, we decided to go back to the Northlake office on the eighth week to get some
answers, luckily while my husband was waiting in line the same lady who helped us before
came to the window. We explained our concern and she looked in the system and explained
the information is not in the system and stated that she will fix it. She noticed that
we applied at this same office five times and was very apologitic. After shuffling the
paper work she printed out one, signed it and said your SS card will be in the mail in
two weeks.

Well, that was last week and today we called the SS at the 800# the mean woman on the
other side gave us those precious 9 digits called the social security number. WE are happy
excited and not knowing what to do.

Times in chronological order: June 2000----applied at Atlanta Location July 2000---applied
at Atlanta Location August 2000----applied at Northlake Location September
2000-----applied again Northlake Location October 2000---Rec'd letter stating that SS card
denied November 2000----applied again after getting new EAD card January 29, 2000---called
800# got SS#

I have questions, but will ask at a later time, we are toooooo Happy to stay online it is
time to search for a JOB!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your support and answers!!!!