Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move - UK to US...Help!

Wanting to move - UK to US...Help!

Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to move - UK to US...Help!

If you have $200,000-$300,000 to invest in a business then an E-2 might be possible, but that is a really horrible visa with no easy way to get citizenship, or even permanent residency. If the business collapses, or is sold, or you aren't engaged day-to-day in running it, then you have to leave the US, so it would be impossible to retire in the US.
I have been here on an E2 visa for 11 years the worst visa ever to exist.
It is very expensive to make a life here, health insurance is a killer for starters - having to renew your visa every 2 - 5 years costs thousands each time. No retirement, security or any hope of a relaxing future as there is no path to a green card - you are tied to your business 24/7 as if that collapses you're out.
Then you have the dilemma about moving back to the UK - your kids have gone through the schooling system and are Americanised the problems you face are never ending..
So many more cons than pros - Unless you have alot of money which you are willing to invest don't even try
Grass ain't always greener
will be posting on another forum my ohwottodo dilemma

Last edited by Bob; Aug 17th 2016 at 11:00 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohwottodo

I have been here on an E2 visa for 11 years the worst visa ever to exist.
It is very expensive to make a life here, health insurance is a killer for starters - having to renew your visa every 2 - 5 years costs thousands each time. No retirement, security or any hope of a relaxing future as there is no path to a green card - you are tied to your business 24/7 as if that collapses you're out.
Then you have the dilemma about moving back to the UK - your kids have gone through the schooling system and are Americanised the problems you face are never ending..
So many more cons than pros - Unless you have alot of money which you are willing to invest don't even try
Grass ain't always greener
will be posting on another forum my ohwottodo dilemma
OP does seem to have left the building, probably not got the answer they were looking for.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 17th 2016 at 11:00 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

OP does seem to have left the building, probably not got the answer they were looking for.

I got that moan off my chest though and it made me feel a bit better

Last edited by Bob; Aug 17th 2016 at 11:00 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
.... OP does seem to have left the building, probably not got the answer they were looking for.
I disagree - it was the answer they were looking for, it just wasn't the one they expected!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

...or wanted!

They're probably formulating a slightly different way of asking the same thing, hoping for a better answer!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a plan to migrate to one of the planets orbiting Sigma Centauri. That would seem to be easier than emigrating legally to the USofA !
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Becky13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't disappeared, I have been caring for my mum so have been a little preoccupied.

I wasn't expecting to just walk over and expect to be accepted. I knew it would be hard, and knew it was a hell of long shot, and thought people on here would be able to advise in a nice way. Obviously I was wrong. But thank you for all your replies.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becky13
... thought people on here would be able to advise in a nice way.
You got honest, matter-of-fact responses - and it's not our job to sugarcoat things so that you feel good about yourself. Other websites are happy to sugarcoat advice, but you won't get the honest, straight forward information that you're after.

Ian