Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to go home for a visit......Can someone please help answer this question for me!

Want to go home for a visit......Can someone please help answer this question for me!

Old Jan 25th 2015, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

MattBurrows is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to go home for a visit......Can someone please help answer this question for me!

Hi there,
I am originally from the UK and I am 23 years old.

I am currently living in the US and have my Permanent Residence Card.
I have been living here for 2 years now and have 3 years to go until my Citizenship...........I would like to go home to England in May of this year to go and visit family for 2 weeks or so.

My main concern and question is - If I were to go home, will this jeopardize my citizenship/residency? Or can I just go back and return to the US with no problems??

Are there any forms/paperwork I need to fill out either before or after I go??
Because I don't want to book my tickets if I cannot go without risking my residency.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Jan 25th 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home for a visit......Can someone please help answer this question for

Returning to the UK for a short trip such as the one that you describe should not present any problems.

Don't forget to keep track of any trips that you take oustide of the the US before you become a citizen - you will need to list them when you apply for citizenship but other than that there is nothing special that you need to do (apart from remembering to take your green card with you) if you just want to take a short trip back to the UK.

When you return to the US you will probably be asked how long you spent outside of the US and what the purpose of your trip was - you will say that you were away for 15 days (or whatever) visiting your family and that will be it.

Easy.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home for a visit......Can someone please help answer this question for

It may have improved recently but a while back some airlines' online checkin couldn't handle people who did not need esta to travel and you had to check in at the airport when flying back to the US.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It may have improved recently but a while back some airlines' online checkin couldn't handle people who did not need esta to travel and you had to check in at the airport when flying back to the US.
I think that there might still be some issues with online checkin for people who are travelling on a visa rather than using the VWP, but I haven't had any issues doing online checkin as a permanent resident over the last few years (with KLM and United).
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattBurrows
If I were to go home, will this jeopardize my citizenship/residency?
No.

Nothing special, no.

I don't want to book my tickets if I cannot go without risking my residency.
Why would you think your status would be at risk? You're not a prisoner in the US... you are a PR, and you are allowed to travel.

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Never had any trouble with online checkin with BA or Aer Lingus as a PR with my ESTA long expired - I do have to show my GC to an airline employee on the return leg tho, usually when checking in luggage. However last journey back MAN->LHR->JFK with BA I had carry-on only and had to show passport and GC at the gate at MAN before being able to board.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattBurrows
Hi there,
I am originally from the UK and I am 23 years old.

I am currently living in the US and have my Permanent Residence Card.
I have been living here for 2 years now and have 3 years to go until my Citizenship...........I would like to go home to England in May of this year to go and visit family for 2 weeks or so.

My main concern and question is - If I were to go home, will this jeopardize my citizenship/residency? Or can I just go back and return to the US with no problems??

Because I don't want to book my tickets if I cannot go without risking my residency. .......
You were free to come and go more-or-less as you please once you got your permanent residence status (you didn't even need to have the card). The only requirement is that you "live" in the US and spend "most" of your time in the US.