Volunteer Role - Help!

Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer Role - Help!

Originally Posted by notaclue
Ok so therein lies the question - What is the OP getting back for volunteering?
Every volunteer job I have had with large events, the least thing you get is free admission ......
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that the people that have offered you the "voluntary' position would be the ones to ask about which is the correct option for you?

In today's hostile US immigration climate, I personally would not risk my future visits to the USA for a dodgy volunteer position. Anything that will require you attempting to hide or not disclose something to the Border Guard is not worth it.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to comicon and enjoy it from the other side... As a guest.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Every volunteer job I have had with large events, the least thing you get is free admission ......
"Those lucky enough to volunteer during the Con, get in free for the days that they complete a volunteer assignment. In exchange for three hours of work (and I use the term loosely) volunteers receive a full, free day at SDCC. That’s nothing to toss a lightsaber at."

Insider’s Guide to Volunteering at the Con | San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog

Originally Posted by tom169
Go to comicon and enjoy it from the other side... As a guest.
Does seem a lot of effort just to get free entry which is a handful of tenners per day, depending on which day.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The State Department's Foreign Affairs Manual contains fairly good discussions of the type of activities are encompassed under the B-1 visa classification.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:53 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
"Those lucky enough to volunteer during the Con, get in free for the days that they complete a volunteer assignment. In exchange for three hours of work (and I use the term loosely) volunteers receive a full, free day at SDCC. That’s nothing to toss a lightsaber at."

Insider’s Guide to Volunteering at the Con | San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog

Does seem a lot of effort just to get free entry which is a handful of tenners per day, depending on which day.
It also sounds as if the”Con” part of the title involves getting lots of free labor from star-struck kids!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It also sounds as if the”Con” part of the title involves getting lots of free labor from star-struck kids!
Agreed. To the Op the clue is in the title Comic Con! It is just that. My advice buy your tickets come and enjoy yourself as a visitor. It's not worth the hassle or savings to be a so called 'volunteer.' Or as someone esle mentioned to create potential problems for any future visits. Have you ever wondered why they are resorting to 'volunteers' like yourself when there are quite a few million in So. California. it's because they see the 'Con' for what it is thus the so called organizers have to go further afield to recruit their alleged volunteers.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:42 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You need to remember that, apart from a couple of notable exceptions, nobody here is legally trained. We are all simply ordinary people trying to give the best possible advice based, for the most part, on our own research and personal experience.

I don't think anybody here objects to the strict, legal position being put forward; but do you have to be quite so smug and patronising while doing so? You've done this numerous times with Ian before his departure, with Pulaski and also with me among a whole host of others.

You have every right to disagree with people and to correct them. But if you're going to castigate someone for not being "classy" and making "this place look bad", at least try to have a bit of class yourself.
I admit that I have gotten less tactful as this issue persists. It just seems like the default and immediate response of some people is to take an honest poster looking for information and tell them how to change the facts of their situation in order to circumvent what the rules are. That type of "help" would tend to besmirch the the other participants on this forum with guilt by association.

How is advising someone to tell the border guards that you're just visiting presenting useful information? Do people not already know that merely visiting is lawful? How is that informative? It's also easy for them to say when they're not going to have any repercussions when the guidance is followed.

Overall, I truly enjoy the forum. It's good to help people, figure out the answers and it helps me keep current with the subject matter.

Last edited by crg; Feb 7th 2018 at 4:50 am.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Agreed. To the Op the clue is in the title Comic Con! It is just that. My advice buy your tickets come and enjoy yourself as a visitor. It's not worth the hassle or savings to be a so called 'volunteer.' Or as someone esle mentioned to create potential problems for any future visits. Have you ever wondered why they are resorting to 'volunteers' like yourself when there are quite a few million in So. California. it's because they see the 'Con' for what it is thus the so called organizers have to go further afield to recruit their alleged volunteers.
Tickets sold out a long time ago.

I would use the VWP.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Now granted the US legislation differs somewhat than Canadian legislation when it comes to what either country considers work in relation to non citizens and Permanent Residents not living in either country.

Where the biggest problem is besides sometimes an interpretation of what someone considers volunteer work is the POE examination.
Purpose of your visit to the USA
So how do you answer it?
Im just visiting or Im here to volunteer at Comic con?
Either answer could then start a chain of events that might not benefit the OP.
We have this thing called Failing to comply with the Act and failing to truthfully all questions asked.
We also have Misrepresentation.
Either one can lead to the person being denied entry.
In cases where there seems to be a greyish area I would be getting something in writing from an Immigration attorney or the US Govt Agency with what they think or if no specific answer then you have the choice of winging it yourself or changing your plans to volunteer.

I have and seen others refuse entry to persons due to a bullshit story which had they told the truth would have got them entry. Its the lies and misinterpretation officers don't accept as you are basically lying to their face and they don't appreciate it.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Never been to Comic Con, but my very first trip to the US involved going to Historicon.

I can not remember what I was asked, I am sure it was no more than the usual.

A lot of overthinking going on.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:57 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty obvious its one of those things you're not allowed to do, but if nobody asks and you dont say, nobody will ever find out.

Whether its worth the risk I guess only the OP can decide.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

These threads always make me laugh, I doubt if anyone sermonising on the subject taking it to the nth degree could not also have been said to have broke said rules.