Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK with baby (dif. p/ports and names)

Visiting UK with baby (dif. p/ports and names)

Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future
Default Visiting UK with baby (dif. p/ports and names)

OK so I have a few questions to pose to you all, hoping you can help me out with your experience etc. I posted some questions in another thread so I have cut and pasted them into here etc.

I am heading back to the UK in December to visit family and friends with my baby (celebrating her 1st b'day and xmas in the UK).

Will I need to get a letter from her dad before we leave (she has US p/port, I have UK and in my maiden name p/port) or can we just go and no questions asked etc.

I don't want her or myself to be refused to leave the US etc.

also...

She has my married name (my passport expires next year, so will change it to married name next year saves time and money that way lol).

I will be getting her a UK p/port but need to save up the money for hers and mines p/port.

Another question...What if I was to get her UK p/port before we go, although she would still have a different surname (I can provide my marriage cert. etc) use the UK p/port to leave US and the US p/port to re-enter, would that work?

Sorry for the complete mess of these questions but I am trying to think of all solutions to taking my girl to the UK without "others" thinking I have kidnapped her lol.

Thanks

Jo
Old Sep 21st 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Blueberry has a brilliant futureBlueberry has a brilliant futureBlueberry has a brilliant futureBlueberry has a brilliant futureBlueberry has a brilliant futureBlueberry has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visiting UK with baby (dif. p/ports and names)

Originally Posted by Jo1973
OK so I have a few questions to pose to you all, hoping you can help me out with your experience etc. I posted some questions in another thread so I have cut and pasted them into here etc.

I am heading back to the UK in December to visit family and friends with my baby (celebrating her 1st b'day and xmas in the UK).

Will I need to get a letter from her dad before we leave (she has US p/port, I have UK and in my maiden name p/port) or can we just go and no questions asked etc.

I don't want her or myself to be refused to leave the US etc.

also...

She has my married name (my passport expires next year, so will change it to married name next year saves time and money that way lol).

I will be getting her a UK p/port but need to save up the money for hers and mines p/port.

Another question...What if I was to get her UK p/port before we go, although she would still have a different surname (I can provide my marriage cert. etc) use the UK p/port to leave US and the US p/port to re-enter, would that work?

Sorry for the complete mess of these questions but I am trying to think of all solutions to taking my girl to the UK without "others" thinking I have kidnapped her lol.

Thanks

Jo
Hi, Congrats on your little one's 1st b/day!
You will need a consent letter from her father for your baby to travel and also her long form birth certificate showing your name (presume your maiden name) and her father's name on it. You could also apply for her UK Passport before you go but you will still need a consent letter from her father to leave the country. Here is a link to a sample of a consent letter. This is a Canadian one I am sure you could either adapt this one or search online for a US version.
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/..._letter-en.asp
Good luck and hope you have a great Christmas
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blueberry
Hi, Congrats on your little one's 1st b/day!
You will need a consent letter from her father for your baby to travel
If she is not in Canada then she doesn't "need" a consent letter. Or to put it differently, there is no law that mandates one. But it may be best to have one if name is different to baby's. Or at least have a copy of baby's birth certificate as well.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...&starteronly=1
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

AFinch is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited the UK in 1999 with my 2 month old and then in 2007 with my 9,7 and 5 year olds. I travelled without my husband both times and in 1999 I had a British passport and my baby an American one. In 2007 we all travelled on American passports. All my children have a different surname to me as I did not change my name on marriage. However all 3 children do have my surname as one of their middle names.I did not have any problems entering either the UK or returning to the US. I did not even think of taking birth certs or a letter from my husband.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your help folks.

I think if I can get enough cash together (if I don't keep putting it off) I will try and get her a UK p/port, failing that, I will use that example letter to help then get it notarized just before travel.

Thanks all for your help.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:10 am
Just Joined

AFinch is an unknown quantity at this point

One more thing to think about. Your ticket should be in the same name as your passport otherwise they will not let you on the plane.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ticket is the same as passport, but everytime I leave the UK, security at the check in desk like to scrutinise me as my greencard and passport are different, just as well I always carry my wedding cert with me lol.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

You should have no problem, I haven't and my kids use hubby's surname and my passport is in my maiden name....and I've left hubby behind when I've gone to the UK with the little ones.

Have a good trip.

RS