Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting the States for a workshop?

Visiting the States for a workshop?

Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting the States for a workshop?

Hey all

I'm a British expat living with PR in Canada. Up here I have my own woodworking / furniture making business.

In October I have the opportunity to go and attend a workshop in Erie for a week. We'll be learning the finer arts of cabinet making (there's about 30 attendees) and the pieces that are made in the workshop will be donated to be auctioned off for a hospital charity.

My question is that as I am a visitor and not working but learning - would I need a visa of any kind (which if I would pretty much rules me out of going due to timelines!!!) as opposed to a standard tourist one???

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the States for a workshop?

Giving or receiving work/business related training is permitted while in the US on a VWP/ESTA visit (or a B-1/B-2 visitor's visa if you are ineligible for the VWP). No visa is required.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 13th 2017 at 10:20 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Giving or receiving work/business related training is permitted while in the US on a VWP/ESTA visit. No visa is required.
That's great news, thank you so much 😍 <runs off to book flight>
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
That's great news, thank you so much 😍 <runs off to book flight>
You're welcome. Have fun!
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:23 pm
Sawdust making harpy

You're welcome. Have fun!
I will it will be amazing 😎😎😎😎
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:28 pm

I will it will be amazing 😎😎😎😎
I would enjoy that sort of course myself, but I have neither the time, nor the space for a decent workshop.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:01 pm
Sawdust making harpy

I would enjoy that sort of course myself, but I have neither the time, nor the space for a decent workshop.
If you can make it to Erie the course is free !!! I'm sure there still spaces if you wanted to message me I can give you the details - it's an amazing opportunity put on by a VERY talented cabinet maker !
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When I still lived in Ontario my sisters and I used to do an annual pilgrimage to Erie for cheap (tax free) shopping. Now with the exchange rate it's not worth even a day trip to Buffalo when I come over

Enjoy your workshop. It sounds like something I'd love to do.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:35 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Giving or receiving work/business related training is permitted while in the US on a VWP/ESTA visit (or a B-1/B-2 visitor's visa if you are ineligible for the VWP). No visa is required.
So, any work related training is permitted on B1/B2/WT/WB? Even flight training?

I don't think he will have an issue either. However, there are actually numerous caveats/restrictions on work/business related training, but the OP is likely okay based on the description.

If the finished pieces created as part of the training were to be sold to customers, then that would be a show stopper.

Last edited by crg; Sep 13th 2017 at 11:38 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by crg
So, any work related training is permitted on B1/B2/WT/WB? Even flight training?

I don't think he will have an issue either. However, there are actually numerous caveats/restrictions on work/business related training, ....
Are you related to Cook_County?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey all

I'm a British expat living with PR in Canada. Up here I have my own woodworking / furniture making business.

In October I have the opportunity to go and attend a workshop in Erie for a week. We'll be learning the finer arts of cabinet making (there's about 30 attendees) and the pieces that are made in the workshop will be donated to be auctioned off for a hospital charity.

My question is that as I am a visitor and not working but learning - would I need a visa of any kind (which if I would pretty much rules me out of going due to timelines!!!) as opposed to a standard tourist one???

Thanks in advance!
Moochops

Yes I know it's an immy forum but this is Moo that came to call.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:15 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Are you related to Cook_County?
No idea who that is. The only reason I know who you are is that you often post things worth reading. I don't know if the Cook person does that.

I'm just trying to point out that there is no blanket allowance for foreign visitors to provide or attend training. It's much more complicated. For example, productive training is not allowed. That would be training that contributed to someone's bottom line. A company can bring people in to train them to doughnuts in a classroom setting, but they can't train them in a doughnut shop where the items the trainees are making are then sold. So OJT training is problematic. Also, a company can't send workers over to just train people to do stuff.

Training included with the initial sales contract of a foreign made product is generally allowed. Selling additional training services to a US entity without a sale of a foreign made product is generally prohibited.

Sometimes there can be a relationship between the companies where professionals can perform H type work (specialized training) after entering as a visitor provided the person continues to be paid by the foreign entity if all of the requirements are met.

Attending vocational training or training that earns academic credit is also problematic and may require SEVIS approval.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg

I don't think he will have an issue either. However, there are actually numerous caveats/restrictions on work/business related training, but the OP is likely okay based on the description.

If the finished pieces created as part of the training were to be sold to customers, then that would be a show stopper.
Moo's a she.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
No idea who that is.
Suffice to say that Cook_County discusses taxes in the same manner you discuss immigration.

Ian
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:42 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Suffice to say that Cook_County discusses taxes in the same manner you discuss immigration.

Ian
Okay. Since this isn't a tax forum, it explains how that could be a problem and why I don't bother reading the posts.

As we all know, immigration is complex and admissibility varies greatly depending on the specific facts of each case. Immigration doesn't lend itself to blanket statements about what is allowed and what isn't. That's why it's so interesting to discuss. A lot of people don't want to post themselves and view these discussions in an attempt to get answers. Their situations may be quite different. It could be harmful if someone reads that all training is allowed (when it's clearly not) and then get into trouble acting on the information. I think the people who participate in this forum would agree that the discussions should be as accurate as possible. Most posters are honest people looking to be in compliance with the law.

Last edited by crg; Sep 14th 2017 at 12:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.