Visiting America, again

Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

wink3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting America, again

Hi all,

I plan to visit the US from the UK on Jan 15th, returning home on or around the beginning of April (ensuring I stay no longer than 3 months). During this time I will be travelling throughout the country, stopping with friends and using hotels.

I recently just got back from spending 10 weeks in the US, again just travelling round (from October to December). Prior to that I spent 4 weeks there in June in Vegas.

Now, I've got an active ESTA with a year left on it. However, I have spoken with a few friends and they believe that I could have problems getting back in come January due to me spending a lot of time there this past year.

I am 29, have recently been paid up a years money from my employer and released so I have plenty of funds, and now I just want to go and see a bit more of America.

I have obviously paid a lot of money for my flights so any thoughts that you have to put my mind at ease would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting America, again

Long duration trips, back to back, are a recipe for disaster. You might be allowed in, you might not. A case can be made for both.

No one can really give you the assurances you're asking for.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wink3
I have spoken with a few friends and they believe that I could have problems getting back in come January due to me spending a lot of time there this past year.
Yes, that's true... but that is always the risk you take whenever you visit the US on the VWP.

I have obviously paid a lot of money for my flights so any thoughts that you have to put my mind at ease would be much appreciated.
Sorry, but US immigration doesn't much care how much money you've paid for flights. Being allowed into the US is always at the discretion of the CBP officer at the POE. The more often you visit, the greater the chance that you'll have problems - such is the nature of the beast. If you don't want problems, then the solution is very easy: don't visit the US as often.

Ian
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

wink3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok - thanks a lot civilservant. Is there anything I should / could do that would help increase my chances?

I guess the burden is on me to prove that I intend to only holiday and will be leaving when I say I will be?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There's not much you can do. As you say, the burden is on you to prove anything, but only if specifically asked. It's up to you to take your chances at the POE.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It would be advisable to have your return flight confirmation, trip itinerary and any hotel or other bookings you have already made printed off and to hand in your carry-on. This will at least give you some evidence to support your explanation as to the purpose of your trip if questioned further by the CBP officer.

Having no job to return to may be seen as a red flag however as will planning to spend more than six months out of the last twelve in the US as a visitor.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wink3
Ok - thanks a lot civilservant. Is there anything I should / could do that would help increase my chances?

I guess the burden is on me to prove that I intend to only holiday and will be leaving when I say I will be?
"Proof" that you will leave the US at the end of your visit is notoriously difficult, and if you don't have a job to return to, that is one of the two best "proofs" gone anyway.

I would say the two best things to be prepared to show/ explain is (i) that you have sufficient funds to survive without working, and (ii) an itinerary, preferably supported by booked flights and hotels, that shows you moving around because IMO that would reduce the perceived risk that you might take up temporary/ casual employment.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future

Out of interest, what employer pays you a year's salary and then let's you go travelling? I want to work for them!
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdsUK
Out of interest, what employer pays you a year's salary and then let's you go travelling? I want to work for them!
You forgot ".... and released ....". The OP appears to have been made redundant.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Although in the grand scheme of things it's really meaningless, take any documents you have that prove residence in the UK (mortgage, lease, utility bills, appointments, etc.).

It may well be that all you're asked is the purpose of your visit which, of course, is holiday/vacation. As previously stated, answer all questions honestly and succinctly. Do NOT volunteer any information that is not asked for.