Visa Waiver question

Old Aug 13th 2017, 5:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver question

Originally Posted by crg
Can't say this is a good recommendation. In this scenario, if they figure out it's a girlfriend and the traveler said friend, they'll think he's hiding something. So this technique of being intentionally vague can cause a loss of credibility and undo concern. That can be bad when the traveler has the burden of proof. I'd rather be the honest guy with no prior immigration concerns than the sneaky one.
When I worked alongside the immigration guys on the controls at Heathrow it was the people who were vague, gave monosyllable answers etc who drew attention to themselves. When you'd been there a while you knew an I/O's normal questioning and most would be more probing in those circumstances. If I heard someone doing that I always stopped them for further questioning as I had the time to do so. Got some very good results from it.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I would say "friend" on this occasion as they have not even met in person yet. Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine calling anyone a "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" that you haven't met. For future visits I would say "girlfriend" if this relationship develops. CBP officers are not stupid. A single young man visiting the same young lady time and time again and they're playing the "just friends" card? Nah! I have male friends in many parts of the world - former colleagues and flat mates from my student days. I wouldn't use a significant portion of my annual leave allotment each year and fly half-way round the world - at great expense - to see them. If I happened to be there for other reasons we'd meet up for an evening or two. But that's all.

I always referred to my now-husband as "boyfriend", "fiancé" and "husband" at CBP, depending on the point in time. And I was never sent back or even taken into secondary. One officer even joked that he might suggest living in separate countries to his wife so that she could stop complaining that he doesn't pick up after himself.
Agreed. I was always upfront and described my now wife as "girlfriend" and never got secondaried. Maybe the longest I was questioned for was about five minutes and that was the worst of it.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
When I worked alongside the immigration guys on the controls at Heathrow it was the people who were vague, gave monosyllable answers etc who drew attention to themselves. When you'd been there a while you knew an I/O's normal questioning and most would be more probing in those circumstances. If I heard someone doing that I always stopped them for further questioning as I had the time to do so. Got some very good results from it.
I think there is a narrow line between being efficient with your responses and being evasive. I was, and still am, relaxed and pleasant when speaking to immigration officers in any country. I respond to an initial greeting with a "Good morning" or "Good afternoon." I smile and look at the officer, I just don't engage in small talk, don't give rambling answers, and don't feel any pressure to fill the silence with more words. .... And specifically I am never comfortable with the oft-repeated (here on BE) facetious question/ answer "Do you know what the time is?" Answer "Yes, thank you." As that sort of answer seems to me to be guaranteed to wind up even a previously pleasant CBP/ immigration officer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2017 at 1:38 am.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did get one to laugh once, apparently a major feat, I also used GF.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I did get one to laugh once, apparently a major feat, I also used GF.
I did too, right after he had given me the third degree on whether I was going to marry, within the next seven days, a woman who I hadn't yet even met face-to-face!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Did you tell him on the 7th day you rest?
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:42 pm

Did you tell him on the 7th day you rest?
It isn't easy to rest in a transatlantic economy seat.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It isn't easy to rest in a transatlantic economy seat.
That is certainly true. My Brother is flying Norwegian next month to come over, will be interesting how he finds it, short but need to lose a few pounds.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:52 pm

..... My Brother .... needs to lose a few pounds.
Maybe he should have flown BA?
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

I was being kind, a few stone...