Visa Waiver Program

Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

makk88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Waiver Program

Hi I've found many answers in this forum from other peoples questions but now I've one of my own and I wonder if anyone could help.

I'm an UK citezen asking about VWP to the USA.

Is it possible to spend a period of time within the allowed 90 days in the US then return to the UK for a week or so then return to the US for another 90 days?

I ask this because I've several friends that I would like to meet up with in the USA and possibly make a decision on migrating there one day.

Thank you for any replies!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver Program

Originally Posted by makk88
Is it possible to spend a period of time within the allowed 90 days in the US then return to the UK for a week or so then return to the US for another 90 days?
Yes, it's possible. You will either receive a new 90 days when you enter, or you'll be turned back at the port of entry and sent home. The general rule of thumb is: between visits, spend at least as much time outside of the US as you did inside the US.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 24th 2009 at 1:25 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the fast reply that just what I was looking for!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:44 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, basically spend as much time out of the US as you do in the US. It's kind of a judgment call by the officers at the port of entry, and there are some folks that jump back and forth. 80 days in, 10 days out, 90 days in isn't that likely. 10 days in, 30 out, 14 in, 20 out, 15 in, 60 out, etc. That can work (though the airfare gets a bit nuts).
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I was previosuly going to travel in August but the cost of travel was too high with the summer prices. Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I've found many answers in this forum from other peoples questions but now I've one of my own and I wonder if anyone could help.

I ask this because I've several friends that I would like to meet up with in the USA and possibly make a decision on migrating there one day.

You may also like to take a look at this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was previosuly going to travel in August but the cost of travel was too high with the summer prices. Thanks for the input.
Right now, through about mid-November (pre the US Thanksgiving Holiday) is actually a very good time to fly, price wise. You can also travel on Thanksgiving Day as most of the Americans are not on those flights and most businessmen know not to come to the US that weekend as no one is working. The next big break comes around February when planes are empty more or less.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:15 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

If you have and can show CLEAR ties to your home country when you travel to the USA, you should have little trouble getting in on the VWP, even with small breaks in between. I'd say, if you have a house, mortgage, car, insurance then bring those docs with you at port of entry and be prepared to show in secondary processing.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the the replies guys, found them useful.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How much time total are you talking about? And why do you need two trips?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

I would like to stay as long as possible without a visa because I still have responsibilities here in the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the fast reply that just what I was looking for!

However, please note that you cannot do this by just leaving the US and going to say Canada or Mexico or the Caribbean or even someplace in South America.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to stay as long as possible without a visa because I still have responsibilities here in the UK.

Sorry, not meaning to be dense, but that reply does not answer the question asked but raises new ones.

By visa is it safe to assume you are talking immigration visa? That could take you years to obtain. It won't happen overnight or even within a forthnight.

Are you coming to the US to check out romance interests that you have cultivated here in the US? Or perhaps to search for a job and interview?

If you have responsibilities in the UK, how is it that you won't be working and still be able to fulfill those responsibilities in the UK if you are here in the US for back to back 90 day visits?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:18 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. On one hand, you're looking for the most affordable flight. On the other hand, you have sufficient funds to take a 6 month vacation?

How will you support yourself? Are you going to be paying rent in a place in the UK while you are gone?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Well firstly depending on how long I stay will depend on the things I need to do back home. I'm currently out of work because of recent redundancy and this gives me the opportunity to do this.
I had a childhood friend who moved to the US many years ago and I've always wanted to visit.
Having worked in a very well paid workplace I've had the fortune of accumulating a considerable sum of money that I intend to make use of.
I would obviously consider all of the options before making a decision on wether to apply for a Visa or not and for which type.

On the other hand I don't intend on making trips back to back as frequent as I may have stated in the original post, but that was a question of extremes to see what the crack was.
Edit: No rent as I live with a friend of mine and we share the rent.

Hope that answers your queries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.