Visa for volunteer work?

Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

William9l is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for volunteer work?

I'm a student in the UK. This summer I was hoping to go to the US for a few weeks, where I will be doing some volunteer work with a charity run by a relative. I will not receive any benefits or remuneration for the work, and it is very much an unstructured affair where I will turn up, see what they do, help out. Will I need a visa for this or will I be eligible under the VWP?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for volunteer work?

True volunteer work is permitted on the VWP, as it is on a B-2 visa. The work must be work for which it is customary to perform without pay, such as animal shelters, soup kitchens, environmental projects etc.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

The volunteer work is for a legal charity which provides free representation. It isn't customary for them to pay. Would this still apply?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by William9l
The volunteer work is for a legal charity which provides free representation. It isn't customary for them to pay. Would this still apply?
Yes. That it is a registered charity will help too.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your information. What would I need to say about my work at the point of entry, and would I need any supporting documentation?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 2:52 pm

Thank you for your information. What would I need to say about my work at the point of entry, and would I need any supporting documentation?
Nothing, unless specifically asked about it, would be my recommendation.

There is a good chance that you will be sent to "secondary" if you mention anything that sounds like work, and then you would need documentation about the charity, and the nature of volunteering "program" that they operate.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Ok, so if asked about the purpose of my visit, I shouldn't mention that it includes performing voluntary service? Is it likely that they would ask this sort of question?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 3:37 pm

Ok, so if asked about the purpose of my visit, I shouldn't mention that it includes performing voluntary service? Is it likely that they would ask this sort of question?
Whatever you're comfortable with really. The chances of them asking you point-blank if you will be doing voluntary work is likely very low. If you don't "confess" it arguably could "look bad" later if they find out or you only later mention it.

If you say that you're visiting your relative then the greatest liklihood is that they will stamp your passport without further ado.

My advice, and that of others, is to only answer the questions you are asked, and as briefly as possible, not necessarily even in sentences. So when asked the purpose of your visit, just answer "to visit my [relative]" you are then asked where they live just mention the city name (if well known), or add the state if it is not so well known, [I]etc.]/I] ..... Just keep your answers brief.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 3:53 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

My advice, and that of others, is to only answer the questions you are asked, and as briefly as possible, not necessarily even in sentences.
As another Example flying into O'Hare when its busy.

i went with "vacation" as the answer to the purpose of the visit last time, expecting the usual follow up questions but he just stamped my book and let me pass XD was in shock XD
Old Jun 20th 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
As another Example flying into O'Hare when its busy.

i went with "vacation" as the answer to the purpose of the visit last time, expecting the usual follow up questions but he just stamped my book and let me pass XD was in shock ....
Which is why I always recommend BOS, JFK, EWR, IAD or another major airport when coming to get married on the VWP (and then leave again.) I got the third degree once when entering at Podunk International, so I came through Newark when I came to get married and was pretty much waved through with nothing more than a "Business or pleasure?", bam! passport stamped, and "enjoy your visit!"