British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Visa approved - mother's returning! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visa-approved-mothers-returning-894069/)

MarieTh Mar 18th 2017 6:33 pm

Visa approved - mother's returning!

Finally I have received notification my documents are ready to be picked up at the depot for my re-immigrating parent visa. what a journey this has been - applied August 2015, and with all the delays at NVC and then not being able to get my china police certificate I was giving up hope.
I prevailed and and now my flight is booked returning to my adult children April 25th! I am so excited to begin my life back in the USA again!
T:thumbsup:t:amen:hanks everyone for your advice along this journey.

tom169 Mar 18th 2017 7:06 pm

Re: Visa approved - mother's returning!

Congratulations and safe travels :)

Olly_ Mar 18th 2017 7:25 pm

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

MarieTh Mar 18th 2017 7:46 pm

Thank you Olly and thank you Tom!

ian-mstm Mar 19th 2017 1:47 am

Originally Posted by MarieTh (Post 12207742)
Finally I have received notification my documents are ready to be picked up at the depot for my re-immigrating parent visa.

Outstanding! Well done. :)

Ian

moneypenny20 Mar 19th 2017 3:14 am

That's brilliant. Well done for not giving up at the China hurdle. :thumb:

MarieTh Mar 19th 2017 8:57 am

Thank you Ian for your good cheer and moneypenny20 . If I can add one piece of advice to anyone you come across in these forums it is never ever give up your permanent resident status and get your citizenship as soon as you possibly can! That's what I intend to do. :)

Pulaski Mar 19th 2017 11:37 am

Originally Posted by MarieTh (Post 12208046)
Thank you Ian for your good cheer and moneypenny20 . If I can add one piece of advice to anyone you come across in these forums it is never ever give up your permanent resident status and get your citizenship as soon as you possibly can! That's what I intend to do. ....

We keep telling people that, but we also keep hearing about those who never get around to citizenship and those who lose their permanent resident status. While there are some people who reach the conclusion that they want to give up their PR status, or even citizenship, for anyone who has relatives, especially children, in the US, then your advice is entirely correct - get citizenship as soon as you are able so that you have the right to live in the same country that your children do.

BTW Congratulations on getting your visa! :)

MarieTh Mar 19th 2017 1:48 pm

Still smiling! :) Thank you

Rete Mar 21st 2017 12:19 am

Late to the celebration. Was on vacation. Congratulations, Marie. So happy for you and your family.

MarieTh Apr 2nd 2017 7:14 am

Just re-reading this again because I am still thrilled, thank you Rete!! I have one last question I am travelling April 25th into San Francisco flying through Dublin where you clear US customs. Once in the US does anyone know how long it takes to receive the green card at your registered address as I want to begin looking for work as soon as I can.
thanks everyone! :)

tom169 Apr 2nd 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by MarieTh (Post 12219377)
Just re-reading this again because I am still thrilled, thank you Rete!! I have one last question I am travelling April 25th into San Francisco flying through Dublin where you clear US customs. Once in the US does anyone know how long it takes to receive the green card at your registered address as I want to begin looking for work as soon as I can.
thanks everyone! :)

I'm not sure how long it takes for the physical green card, but you can work right away.

You will have a stamp in your passport that will serve as proof of your status and is good for filling out an I-9. :)

MarieTh Apr 2nd 2017 1:33 pm

Oh great, thanks so much for that - thank you :)

Pulaski Apr 2nd 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12219495)
I'm not sure how long it takes for the physical green card, but you can work right away.

You will have a stamp in your passport that will serve as proof of your status and is good for filling out an I-9. :)

This is correct, and you don't even need an SSN (I think you may already have one? :unsure:) and could literally start work right there in the airport after clearing US immigration, or in your case as you're clearing immigration in Ireland, after the plane lands in the US.

I started work six days after landing, five weeks before my green card arrived and several days before I got my SSN. My job was a career job with a major corporation, not a casual cash-in-hand job. :)

MarieTh Apr 2nd 2017 9:16 pm

Oh that's good to know thank you so much yes can you imagine right there in Ireland I am on US soil :) thank you !!