Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Valid L1 Visa - Return to the USA as visitor?

Valid L1 Visa - Return to the USA as visitor?

Old Oct 17th 2017, 10:13 am
Just Joined

evanstim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valid L1 Visa - Return to the USA as visitor?

I applied for and received an L1 Visa in July 2015. It was issued for 5 years, so is valid until 2020.

My assignment in California was for two years. My employer was keen for me to remain in California, and I was happy to do it, but financially it was not a great deal for me - basically the rent I was paying meant that each month I was there, I was losing around £400-500. No problem, this was the price I paid for the fabulous experience, but it meant that the experience had to be finite.

Therefore, I returned to the UK at the end of July.

My question is: what do I do for return visits to the US? I remain employed by the same employer and in the same role, but as I am no longer residing in the US, I assume that nulls the L1 visa? Should I therefore apply for an ETSA for any future travel and if questioned by US immigration, just explain that I am no longer resident in the US hence the L1 does not apply? It will be sad to lose Global Entry and TSA-Pre though.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 1:52 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valid L1 Visa - Return to the USA as visitor?

Return as a visitor and be admitted as a visitor. Using the L1 can be problematic because it's not the purpose of your trip and also eats away from the time you're allowed to be an L1 later if you decide to go back.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you use the ESTA for future travel to the US.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanstim
Should I therefore apply for an ETSA for any future travel and if questioned by US immigration, just explain that I am no longer resident in the US hence the L1 does not apply? It will be sad to lose Global Entry and TSA-Pre though.
That's exactly what I did after I returned from my L-1 stint. I got an ESTA, and then when asked the purpose of my visit at the border replied "business" and then "meetings with my boss & colleagues" and "two weeks" for "what kind of business" and "how long are you going to be here". Passport stamped under VWP (visa waiver program). Btw, I still get to use the automated kiosks for initial screening which helps with the queuing/lines.

Don't go trying to explain it all to the officer, they have seen the situation before and they'll see that you have an ESTA on their system. Just answer the question they ask you and it will be fine.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

evanstim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the replies - much appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

As above, yes apply for an ESTA. You won't loose GlobalEntry/TSA Pre so long as you go into your Login.gov (the new GOES) and update your visa information etc. You can choose on the GE machines when you get there what you're entering under, simply choose ESTA. Visa/GC/USC is not a mandatory requirement for GlobalEntry, ESTA will suffice.