Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Vacation to Florida before Relocation

Vacation to Florida before Relocation

Old May 2nd 2016, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Malagos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacation to Florida before Relocation

Hi,

So my partner and I have our L1-a Visa's however we have not yet entered the USA for the first time and have also not moved to the USA yet. As I mentioned we both have a L1-a visa but we also have an ESTA form, the question we have is do we enter for our holiday on our L1 Visa or the ESTA form?

Regards

Malagos
Old May 2nd 2016, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation to Florida before Relocation

Are you both on L1s or is one of you a dependent on an L2? if one is an L2, then they can only enter after or at the same time as the L1. I assume you're travelling together so I would assume you would use the L1.
Old May 2nd 2016, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

We both have independent L1-a visa from our applicable companies but we also both have ESTAs.
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:17 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

If the purpose of your trip on this occasion is simply a vacation and you won't be working, I'm assuming you would use the ESTA. Hopefully someone else will confirm/correct my assumption!
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning to leave the US after your vacation, or go from there to start work?
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

We will be returning to the UK for 2 weeks then we will be making the final move to the USA for our relocation.

I guess I just wanted to check that if I enter using and ESTA and then they find I have an L1 that I will not get in trouble.

Regards

Malagos
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malagos
We will be returning to the UK for 2 weeks then we will be making the final move to the USA for our relocation.

I guess I just wanted to check that if I enter using and ESTA and then they find I have an L1 that I will not get in trouble.

Regards

Malagos
OK, then use ESTA. The L visa doesn't invalidate it.
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with what you propose to do. Enjoy the holiday.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Perfect, thank you all so much! Cant wait for my Holiday now!

Regards

Malagos
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

The Customs & Border Patrol officer will see the L1 visa in your passport, but will also ask you the purpose of your visit to the USA. In my experience as an L-1b holder, if you say 'vacation' you will be admitted under ESTA, if you say 'business' you will be admitted under your L-1.

Just answer any questions honestly and concisely* and don't try and second guess the officer. It will be fine.

*the example often given here: the answer to the question "do you know the time?" is "yes".