Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice
Default Re: Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Why would I need to consult a lawyer?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarya

For some reason I - and I suspect most of us here - assumed that you wanted to establish whether your residency status in the US could be resurrected or indeed was still current?

If this is not the case, could you state in plain English what it is you are trying to achieve...
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

For some reason I - and I suspect most of us here - assumed that you wanted to establish whether your residency status in the US could be resurrected or indeed was still current?

If this is not the case, could you state in plain English what it is you are trying to achieve...
Maybe the OP expects the US goverment to assist here with her rights
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

You set forth a fact situation and then asked:

"Please let me know what my options are, the local embassy doesn't seem to want to listen to my story at all."

Your question is way beyond the scope of an internet forum. If you don't care for a good answer or a reasonable discussion of what your options are, then don't consult with a knowledgable lawyer. The choice is yours -- its your life, not mine.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I guess this is my story:

For almost 8 years of my life I lived in California, I grew up there with my family. My father applied the green card lottery and won. We moved to the states shortly after. My sisters were both were born in California and thus automatically having a citizenship.

Unfortunately my parents never applied for a citizenship for me. We moved the year after I could apply (used to be 5 years in order to get citizenship).
If your parents are Norwegian citizens then maybe the reason they didn't apply to become American is that they would have lost their Norwegian citizenship.

Or are they British?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see... 1) you don't know what your status is; 2) you want help with citizenship... and you don't even know if you're eligible ; 3) you don't know if your sisters can help you; and 3) you think that you should be allowed to live in the US because your father had a green card... did I miss anything?

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Ok I am a bit confused that's all.

How can I be 100% sure what my status is? I moved from the states 12 years ago. I was a permanent resident when I left, that's all I know. Am I the only one feeling weird about paying for a lawyer when I don't even know if I at all can regain my citizenship? I know I need consultant, and that is exactly what I am going to get :P I am calling the embassy tomorrow.

For some reason you guys come off a little harsh sometimes, I know some of my posts can be a bit of a oxymoron.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........I don't even know if I at all can regain my citizenship? .............
I know some of my posts can be a bit of a oxymoron.
Can you clarify what country's citizenship you think you may have lost...........
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Well I can't say I've lost my American citizenship, because I never applied for one. Although I was a permanent resident at the time.
But to answer your question it would be yes I've lost my American citizenship
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can't say I've lost my American citizenship, because I never applied for one. Although I was a permanent resident at the time.
But to answer your question it would be yes I've lost my American citizenship
You were never an American citizen, based on your posts, only a foreigner permanently resident in the United States.

Maybe you lost your chance to apply for American citizenship. That's different.

You still haven't clarified what your real citizenship is.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

The only country I have real citizenship is Norway.
My parents are Norwegian.

I was only a permanent resident when living in California.
I've read that you may reapply for residency and or green card.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The only country I have real citizenship is Norway.
My parents are Norwegian.

I was only a permanent resident when living in California.
I've read that you may reapply for residency and or green card.
The reason you need a lawyer is that you have a lot of unanswered questions. No, I don't find it weird to consult with a professional about what your legal status might be in the USA after all these years, and what you can still do about it. A lawyer is probably the only person who can really tell you that.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Where and what lawyers/lawyer should I contact?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Where and what lawyers/lawyer should I contact?
You're very confused.

The U.S. embassy/consulate is not an advice center. You put in your applications; they approve or reject them. It's as simple as that.

Forget U.S. citizenship at the moment -- it is a red herring that's making you even more confused.

If you wish to return to living in the U.S. as a permanent resident (green card holder), there is a chance that you still have permanent resident status despite the fact you are currently in Norway. This is dependent on the facts of your situation. The best way you can discover whether you are still a permanent resident is to secure the services of a U.S. immigration attorney experienced in abandonment issues. (BTW, you've already spoken to one on this very board!)

So, if you want to come and live in the U.S. again, the most sensible thing to do would be to consult with such a person.

One of the most futile things you could do is throw applications at the local U.S. consulate without any idea of what you are doing. Apart from wasting your money and your time, it could also screw up your chances.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for the reply! I appreciate it! Alrighty, I just need to get in contact with a lawyer and see what my options are. You said there were one on this forum? :P Whom may I ask?

I called the embassy only to know what their part of it was and or if they could fax me some papers on green cards. Which they did. Nothing more. :P
But still they seem very hard to talk to.(got switched over 3 times)..

Anyways, thanks again for the reply!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.