Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

About to submit N-400 application, then travel back home

About to submit N-400 application, then travel back home

Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute
Default About to submit N-400 application, then travel back home

Since the N-400 filing fees go up on 12/26(?), I wanted to get my N-400 app in before then. It's just about ready to go in the mail.

However, I'm planning to travel home in January 2017 for 3 weeks to help my father care for my mother (taking FMLA time from work).

In the past 5 years, I've only been out of the US for about 30 days and don't have any other plans to travel in 2017, unless things get substantially worse with my mother, or if she passes away.

Should I declare this intended travel in the N-400 app, or just bring it up at the interview?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to submit N-400 application, then travel back home

Originally Posted by Smaug
Should I declare this intended travel in the N-400 app, or just bring it up at the interview?
If you're not travelling until after you submit the N-400, don't put it on the form but mention it at the interview.

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're not travelling until after you submit the N-400, don't put it on the form but mention it at the interview.

Ian
Sounds like a plan - thanks Ian!
Old Dec 12th 2016, 11:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just to make you aware, with the holiday coming closer, you might not get your biometrics notice before you leave. Didn't want you to worry if the appointment is scheduled for while you are away. You can always call make a new appointment if there is someone at home to get and open your mail or you can walk into most biometric offices with the letter on an unscheduled date and see about getting it done that day.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Just to make you aware, with the holiday coming closer, you might not get your biometrics notice before you leave. Didn't want you to worry if the appointment is scheduled for while you are away. You can always call make a new appointment if there is someone at home to get and open your mail or you can walk into most biometric offices with the letter on an unscheduled date and see about getting it done that day.
Oh good point. Yes - the wife is staying home and can check my mail for this. Hopefully they're good about rescheduling.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 2:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They are. That's should not be a worry.