Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USC visiting UKC girlfriend in the UK

USC visiting UKC girlfriend in the UK

Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC visiting UKC girlfriend in the UK

This is not a US immigration question as such but I don't know where to put it.

My daughter's USC boyfriend is visiting us for two weeks at Christmas and I want to tell him what to do when he enters the UK.

The GOV.UK site says a visa is not needed for tourism but the same documents that would be used to apply for a visa, such as proof of enrolment in college, bank statements, itinerary, should be brought. Does anyone know how much detail is needed?

Is there any problem with talking about a girlfriend if asked?

He is a 20-year-old student of Iranian descent and has a tendency to say the first thing that comes into his head.

He has no wish to move to the UK and my daughter is a US LPR with a re-entry permit, currently studying in the UK.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC visiting UKC girlfriend in the UK

This year I visited UK & Netherlands for 2 weeks, exclusively using my brand new US passport.

There is a landing card to complete,on the plane, so make sure he has the info required for that. Address, length of stay return flight number etc.

At the border, the only questions I recall were, have you got a return flight booked, where are you staying (town), purpose "vacation". PP stamped "Leave to enter for 6 months..."

It was exactly the same re-entering at Harwich, although I was driving a UK car, and with my UK Dad - he was put out that I got asked the Q's and not him!

I had no need of extra docs, but I did have my UK PP handy just in case!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
This is not a US immigration question as such but I don't know where to put it.

My daughter's USC boyfriend is visiting us for two weeks at Christmas and I want to tell him what to do when he enters the UK.

The GOV.UK site says a visa is not needed for tourism but the same documents that would be used to apply for a visa, such as proof of enrolment in college, bank statements, itinerary, should be brought. Does anyone know how much detail is needed?

Is there any problem with talking about a girlfriend if asked?

He is a 20-year-old student of Iranian descent and has a tendency to say the first thing that comes into his head.

He has no wish to move to the UK and my daughter is a US LPR with a re-entry permit, currently studying in the UK.

Thanks for any guidance.
Do you want tips to help him get through, or have him turned back at immigration?

Personally I recommend he not mention a girlfriend, and say as little as possible: answer any questions honestly but briefly, with no embellishments or rambling on.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
This year I visited UK & Netherlands for 2 weeks, exclusively using my brand new US passport.

There is a landing card to complete,on the plane, so make sure he has the info required for that. Address, length of stay return flight number etc.

At the border, the only questions I recall were, have you got a return flight booked, where are you staying (town), purpose "vacation". PP stamped "Leave to enter for 6 months..."

It was exactly the same re-entering at Harwich, although I was driving a UK car, and with my UK Dad - he was put out that I got asked the Q's and not him!

I had no need of extra docs, but I did have my UK PP handy just in case!
Thanks, that's really helpful.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you want tips to help him get through, or have him turned back at immigration?

Personally I recommend he not mention a girlfriend, and say as little as possible: answer any questions honestly but briefly, with no embellishments or rambling on.
Oh God

I daren't even think about him getting turned back.

I will try to stress the 'neutral' demeanour.

Thanks guys.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Oh God

I daren't even think about him getting turned back.

I will try to stress the 'neutral' demeanour. .....
If asked who he is visiting, try "visiting a family he met/ knew in CA", and cite the names of Mr & Mrs Redux. .... Perhaps even send him a somewhat formal letter of invitation to bring and show if asked, detailing, obviously your names and address, but also dates, and perhaps some things you might be doing while he stays.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 11th 2014 at 2:30 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If asked who he is visiting, try "visiting a family he met/ knew in CA", and cite the names of Mr & Mrs Redux.
Is it OK to start like that and subsequently say girlfriend?

I am probably over-thinking it.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:56 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

If asked who he is visiting, try "visiting a family he met/ knew in CA", and cite the names of Mr & Mrs Redux. .... Perhaps even send him a somewhat formal letter of invitation to bring and show if asked, detailing, obviously your names and address, but also dates, and perhaps some things you might be doing while he stays.
Really? This is way OTT frankly.. Just be upfront. Visiting a gf is fine provided you're not planning to overstay. The immigration officers are trained to spot fibs and telling the truth should have him breezing through. It's the same in the US from my personal experience.

My dad is an immigration officer so I understand the mentality. They're just looking out for liars.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by TMR
Really? This is way OTT frankly.. Just be upfront. Visiting a gf is fine provided you're not planning to overstay. The immigration officers are trained to spot fibs and telling the truth should have him breezing through. It's the same in the US from my personal experience.

My dad is an immigration officer so I understand the mentality. They're just looking out for liars.
I thought this was more about "belt and braces" comfort for the visitor, than the statistical risk of (this) one visitor experiencing a problem (which is negligible), and answered accordingly.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:04 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

'Belt and braces' can cause you to overthink this stuff IMO. I still say be upfront but others may differ.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK so, "What is the reason for your visit?"

"Vacation."

Who are you staying with?

"My girlfriend who is studying here."

"How long?"

"Returning January 3rd".

He brings college papers with him to show if asked.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TMR
'Belt and braces' can cause you to overthink this stuff IMO. I still say be upfront but others may differ.
As your dad is in the trade, do you think there will be profiling based on appearance? There's all this 'jihadi' stuff in the news.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:34 pm
TMR
Account Closed

As your dad is in the trade, do you think there will be profiling based on appearance? There's all this 'jihadi' stuff in the news.
I would very much doubt it. Again, please don't overthink this. He'll be fine!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TMR
I would very much doubt it. Again, please don't overthink this. He'll be fine!
Thanks all.

Really appreciate it.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I don't look Middle Eastern and am mid 40's with a British accent, I admit to nervousness entering a "Foreign" country. I'd say that understanding potential issues, as opposed to pre-empting any such issues, is the best way forward.

He might get profiled, but he probably does every day. He can probably deal with it.

Has he been to the Middle East lately?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RICH
Even though I don't look Middle Eastern and am mid 40's with a British accent, I admit to nervousness entering a "Foreign" country. I'd say that understanding potential issues, as opposed to pre-empting any such issues, is the best way forward.

He might get profiled, but he probably does every day. He can probably deal with it.

Has he been to the Middle East lately?
I don't think he has ever been to the ME, but not sure.

He is an extremely open and upfront person, so I think he should go with the completely straightforward approach.

I know I am getting too concerned about it but they have been so patient living apart and talking about this trip every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.