Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USA visa limitations (and defacto) query

USA visa limitations (and defacto) query

Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA visa limitations (and defacto) query

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think the issue here is that the terms "de facto" and "common law" are not interchangeable.

Ian
I think it's all pretty irrelevant. If they want to come to the States, they should go and get married to ease the process. Maybe the US Consulate will see it as a marriage and issue an L2; maybe they won't. But their status is guaranteed to cause problems all the way down the line. So why don't they just bite the bullet, spend the hundred Dingo Dollars or whatever it costs, and get it sorted if they're serious about moving here.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Sorry don't want to take the thread in a different direction, but just a couple of comments

Originally Posted by surreygirl1
My husbands U.K 12 year Amex account also stood for nothing.
Is this a credit/charge card - you should be able to transfer this over - many people have done this.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Unfortunately, unless you can tag a credit rating off of a UK American Express, it is probably not possible to get a US credit score going before you get here. The main reason is that the Credit Bureaus here use the Social Security number as an ident, and you're not getting one of those until you get on our glorious shores.
I believe this can be done with Oz Amex cards as well, so if they don't have a UK one, it is still worth getting one in Oz.

I have said this on another thread, but as this is the immigration board I would say to anyone thinking of moving or are moving to the US to get an Amex right now - it will make your life a lot easier.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camel80
Many thanks for everyone's comments to date. I've very grateful for your time and efforts.

I'm not trying to argue any point given, i'm simply trying to make the discussion more useful to people who search the forums in the future.

From what i have picked up so far on this thread is:
[*]Getting credit may prove difficult. Buying a house (which is a key goal) will be very challenging. The question then is, "is there anything i can be doing prior to moving to the states to give me a better credit rating when i arrive?"
If you're only staying here for a few years it probably wouldn't be worth buying, the rental market over here is much better than the UK and you'd be amazed at the facilities (gyms, pools ..etc) that a purpose built rental property offers. With the housing market stagnant (and falling in many areas) you'd probably find a short term purchase would mean you'd be very out of pocket when it comes time to sell

[*]Some comments are indicating that a joint application is possible. However, although i understand that in some states of the USA a legally binding document (license) is not necessarily required this will not hold for immigration purposes (from what i have researched on the immigration website)
Don't forget that regardless of a States view on marriage, immigration is a Federal issue and they won't recognize a marriage without a certificate
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Don't forget that regardless of a States view on marriage, immigration is a Federal issue and they won't recognize a marriage without a certificate
They do and they have.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

camel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I've read them.

I just looked at the following link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consistent

I find those definitions to be correct.
Thanks for that, but you still didn't answer the question.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for god's sake quit with the bickering.

Get an Amex card in Australia, use it for about 6 months, then get a global transfer and you can get a $5000 limit US Amex. Once you have a SSN, this will kick your credit rating over to start.