Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ive been turned down the visitor's visa,(214b)can i still enter the US using the VWP?

ive been turned down the visitor's visa,(214b)can i still enter the US using the VWP?

Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

elisabetta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ive been turned down the visitor's visa,(214b)can i still enter the US using the VWP?

hi you all,
2 months ago i have been turned down the visitor's visa.i think becouse in 2007 i been in the US 2 times,3months each and also i wrote down that i have a boyfriend.they told me i dont have strong ties with my country(214b).
i wanted to know if i can still enter the US using the VWP,i have never overstayed.
i also have another passport,Capeverdean passport(Cape Verde).do you guys think that i could use it to ask for a visitor's visa?i have never travelled with this passport,do you think that they will see that i'm the same person of the other passport?
thank you very much in advance!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:17 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ive been turned down the visitor's visa,(214b)can i still enter the US using the

The visa application asks you if you have been to the US before and how long you stayed. Hence, you will have to reveal to them your previous visit.

Moreover, since they fingerprint all visa applicants they would be able to figure it out by your fingerprints too.

You should never lie on visa applications btw.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ive been turned down the visitor's visa,(214b)can i still enter the US using the

Originally Posted by elisabetta
i wanted to know if i can still enter the US using the VWP,i have never overstayed.
Yes, you can use the VWP. You will have to acknowledge that you were refused entry on a previous trip... but that shouldn't be a big problem. The thing you need to understand is that you *can* be refused entry at any time for any reason... so there is no guarantee of be allowed into the US.

do you think that they will see that i'm the same person of the other passport?
You should assume that they know that you are the same person.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, you can use the VWP. You will have to acknowledge that you were refused entry on a previous trip... but that shouldn't be a big problem. The thing you need to understand is that you *can* be refused entry at any time for any reason... so there is no guarantee of be allowed into the US.

You should assume that they know that you are the same person.

Ian
i understand..thanks for replying me back
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

Ian

I think you should double check this information. My visa application was denied a few years ago and in the documents they advised me that denial of a visa application makes one ineligible to use the VWP.

Kate
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by surfsbabe
I think you should double check this information. My visa application was denied a few years ago and in the documents they advised me that denial of a visa application makes one ineligible to use the VWP.

Kate
thanks,anyway i read that i'm still elegible to use the VWP,but at the poe they will be asking me a lot of questions,and if i wont satisfy them they might send me back home.it's up to them...this is what i read in many web sites
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My visa application was denied a few years ago and in the documents they advised me that denial of a visa application makes one ineligible to use the VWP.
It does not... ineligibility is *not* automatic.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

It does not... ineligibility is *not* automatic.

Ian
If that is the case, then that's good. However when it happened to me the Con. Officer told me that was the case and also showed me the section in the literature I was given where it also appeared in writing. I was only able to come after my husband's congressman intervened on our behalf.

The below is found at this link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html

When does a national of a VWP country need to apply for a visa instead of using the VWP?

Nationals of VWP countries must meet the conditions noted in the section above (Which travelers may use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the United States?) in order to seek admission to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers who do not meet these conditions must apply for a visa. In particular, a visa must be requested if the traveler:

Has been refused a visa or admission to the United States before, or did not comply with the conditions of previous VWP admissions (90 days or less stay for tourism or business, etc.);

Kate
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If that is the case, then that's good. However when it happened to me the Con. Officer told me that was the case and also showed me the section in the literature I was given where it also appeared in writing. I was only able to come after my husband's congressman intervened on our behalf.

The below is found at this link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html

When does a national of a VWP country need to apply for a visa instead of using the VWP?

Nationals of VWP countries must meet the conditions noted in the section above (Which travelers may use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the United States?) in order to seek admission to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers who do not meet these conditions must apply for a visa. In particular, a visa must be requested if the traveler:

Has been refused a visa or admission to the United States before, or did not comply with the conditions of previous VWP admissions (90 days or less stay for tourism or business, etc.);

Kate
Strong sense of deja vu, this has been quoted a few times, its wrong.

If you look on the I 94W it asks if you have ever, been refused a visa, not a lot of point if that makes you ineleigible. Its all on the Lonson Consulate web site.

I ticked the box, I got in.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Strong sense of deja vu, this has been quoted a few times, its wrong.

If you look on the I 94W it asks if you have ever, been refused a visa, not a lot of point if that makes you ineleigible. Its all on the Lonson Consulate web site.

I ticked the box, I got in.
Deja vu all over again....

If you search the group on 'refused visa vwp' you'll get tons of hits.. this comes up often. I just found the correct answer for you:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...71&postcount=2

Originally Posted by telemetry
I have another thread going in here but this is a slightly separate issue, and I thought it might help other people in future. Basically I applied for a B-2 visa about three years ago, couldn't prove my ties and was rejected.
Hi:

Re-read the information again. Being refused a visa and being ineligible for a visa are two different things.