Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Change of Status, E-2 visa to EB-5 visa.

Change of Status, E-2 visa to EB-5 visa.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all
Default Change of Status, E-2 visa to EB-5 visa.

I will be emigrating to the US in the near future on the E-2 visa but I'd like to stay on in the US 'officially'.

Now, I could just go for the EB-5 visa but that's going to take time, so I'm looking at the E-2.

I've been informed that I can successfully apply for the EB-5 and 'change status' while I'm in the US on the E-2.

Is this correct?

I just want to make sure I've got my facts right before committing.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Status, E-2 visa to EB-5 visa.

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
I will be emigrating to the US in the near future on the E-2 visa but I'd like to stay on in the US 'officially'.

Now, I could just go for the EB-5 visa but that's going to take time, so I'm looking at the E-2.

I've been informed that I can successfully apply for the EB-5 and 'change status' while I'm in the US on the E-2.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.
Do not piss about with the crappy E-2 ..if you have the funds go for the EB-5
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen it done, but would ditto Ray.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Do not piss about with the crappy E-2 ..if you have the funds go for the EB-5
Your prejudice against the E-2 is showing. Depending on the facts, it may be an excellent strategy. Again, the individual facts are important. Personally, if he is talking about immigrating based upon having a lot of bucks, he can afford a consultation with a good American immigration attorney.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:58 am
Just Joined

DanTheFanMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Your prejudice against the E-2 is showing. Depending on the facts, it may be an excellent strategy. Again, the individual facts are important. Personally, if he is talking about immigrating based upon having a lot of bucks, he can afford a consultation with a good American immigration attorney.
prejudice opinion or not, i'd agree with Ray - well, at least if the intent is to live and play in the USA full time.

E2's are such a pain beyond the first 2 years and by the time you've messed around with lawyers, accountants day-to-day business woes then figured out how much your most trustworthy employee has pilfered from you, you'll probably end up finding you'd have been better off just going eb-5 off the bat.

do i sound like a cynic?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanTheFanMan
prejudice opinion or not, i'd agree with Ray - well, at least if the intent is to live and play in the USA full time.

E2's are such a pain beyond the first 2 years and by the time you've messed around with lawyers, accountants day-to-day business woes then figured out how much your most trustworthy employee has pilfered from you, you'll probably end up finding you'd have been better off just going eb-5 off the bat.

do i sound like a cynic?
Note: each individual case differs on its fact. I don't give advice here, but even if I did, there is no basis for that advice. The "call" of OP's question was simply if an E-2 can change status to EB-5 status? That call is easy to answer. The advisability of such strategy was not asked for.

No advice given nor intended. And even if I did care to give advice, I could not give such advice.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:30 am
Just Joined

DanTheFanMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Note: each individual case differs on its fact. I don't give advice here, but even if I did, there is no basis for that advice. The "call" of OP's question was simply if an E-2 can change status to EB-5 status? That call is easy to answer. The advisability of such strategy was not asked for.

No advice given nor intended. And even if I did care to give advice, I could not give such advice.
i wont disagree with that sentiment- my opinion is tainted and really shouldn't be considered or intended as advice.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:35 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanTheFanMan

do i sound like a cynic?
You sound realistic and experienced to me. I'll give a third raspberry for the E2. The lawyers and a few middle folk seem to love the E2; few others do IME.

No opinion expressed or warranted.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:07 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Worthless post is worthless.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey

Is this correct?

Many thanks.
I have gone to the trouble of reading your past posts. You strike me as a mature person who is slowly exploring the possibilities. When you get further in your plans, I have a feeling you will seek the professional advice and help needed to actually institute your plan.

Although my posts are intentionally general in nature, they are meant to be of an aid to people.

There are posts here which should act to effectuate the means to this end: see the site rules, and the forum posting guidelines. Personally, I think these are excellent. However, it seems that people are lamenting the fact they don't seem to be working: look here, here and here. Post #4 in the "read this" sticky at the top of this forum is a comment by an immigration attorney regarding conduct within this forum.

There are are nuggets of information in here to be found. Good luck.

This post is an expression of opinion and notation of other threads given in the spirit of helping people within the confines of these forums. Otherwise, no specific advice is given nor intended about a particular case.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 11th 2010 at 7:51 am.