Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Child of UK Parent Traveling to UK: Passport(s)

US Child of UK Parent Traveling to UK: Passport(s)

Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Child of UK Parent Traveling to UK: Passport(s)

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
As a dual UK/US citizen I enter/exit the UK using my UK passport and enter/exit the US using my US passport. Problem solved (whatever that problem might be!).

If you exit the UK with your UK passport, I'm surprised you're not asked why you don't have an ESTA or visa for the US. It would make sense to check in with your US passport when leaving the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If you exit the UK with your UK passport, I'm surprised you're not asked why you don't have an ESTA or visa for the US. It would make sense to check in with your US passport when leaving the UK.
Yes, of course, I check in to the flight using my US passport.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Consider a scenario. A UKC buys a round trip flight to the UK from the US and enters the UK on a US passport. Something happens (maybe s/he meets someone and eventually gets married) and the UKC decides to stay, gets a UK passport, a job, opens a bank account, gets a doctor, etc.

The entry record (and the subsequent lack of an exit record within the expected timeframe) does not mean that the UKC is in the country illegally. The system may think that this person has likely overstayed and is in the country illegally - but it doesn't have all the information. It's just a possibility.

The fact is that the UKC, by definition, cannot be in the country illegally. This is exactly the point I was making - immigration status is completely independent of whatever entry record is in the system. The system may indeed identify an illegal immigrant - but it might be wrong. There might well be questions asked the next time the person leaves and/or enters the UK but it doesn't change the fact that immigration status is not dependent on whatever records they have in their entry/exit system.
Legally the person in question is a British citizen. No-one is disputing that. Your question was regarding the practicalities which remain that the person concerned will be treated as a US citizen visitor until able to prove otherwise which still means, as you point out, obtaining a British passport. Not so easy to do from the UK if you've lived your whole life in the US. Will the person in question have all the relevant birth and marriage certificates to apply for one? Would they be able to find a suitable professional friend who has known them for at least two years to countersign their photographs? Until such time that they do they will be treated a US citizen with leave to enter as a visitor. No employment, no NI number, no free NHS secondary care, no ability to rent property, etc.. If they overstay their leave to enter then they will be treated as an overstayer until their citizenship status can be verified.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick Ball
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in January, to be born in the US. My wife has Taiwanese citizenship, I have UK citizenship [1], and we are both US green card holders living in the US. My understanding is that our child will be a US citizen because they will be born in the US, but will also automatically acquire UK citizenship through being "British by descent", since they are the child of a UK citizen who is a "British citizen otherwise than by descent", i.e., me. [2]

My 2 questions are about when our child travels to the UK:

- Should we get them a US passport and use that, or should we get them a UK one?
- If a UK one is better, do we have to go to the gov dot uk site under register-a-birth and do that first? And then is it the same as applying for a passport for any other citizen? [3]

Thanks for any help,

Nick

[1] Was born there to UK citizen parents and lived there until age 24
[2] Wikipedia article on British nationality law, section British citizenship by descent, etc.
[3] We would most likely only be travelling to the UK for a couple of weeks a year
Nick,

You may also want to get your child Taiwanese nationality and include the child in your wife's household register in Taiwan if the child is a girl (Taiwan still has conscription for males citizens). By doing the above, your child will get a Taiwanese passport with a personal ID number / household registration.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Nick Ball is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the replies. Appreciated.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

ecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick Ball
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in January, to be born in the US. My wife has Taiwanese citizenship, I have UK citizenship [1], and we are both US green card holders living in the US. My understanding is that our child will be a US citizen because they will be born in the US, but will also automatically acquire UK citizenship through being "British by descent", since they are the child of a UK citizen who is a "British citizen otherwise than by descent", i.e., me. [2]

My 2 questions are about when our child travels to the UK:

- Should we get them a US passport and use that, or should we get them a UK one?
- If a UK one is better, do we have to go to the gov dot uk site under register-a-birth and do that first? And then is it the same as applying for a passport for any other citizen? [3]

Thanks for any help,

Nick

[1] Was born there to UK citizen parents and lived there until age 24
[2] Wikipedia article on British nationality law, section British citizenship by descent, etc.
[3] We would most likely only be travelling to the UK for a couple of weeks a year
Hi Nick, you may already have the answers you’re looking for but thought I could offer insight as my husband and I are both UK citizens living in the US on an E2 visa and had our first child in the US in July. We immediately got her US passport after her birth ( birth certificate was filed for within the hospital) and travelled back to the UK in Oct to get her UK passport. In my experience, both processes were really simply and because at least one of you is British, it will be pretty straightforward to get the UK passport ( as long as you have British parents/grandparents down one line too).

FYI- you can also get your child’s UK passport whilst in the US too AND someone mentioned here about NHS - as long as you can provide your child’s British psssport within 6 months - nothing is payable.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:54 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was born in the USA to a British mother (me). She got an American passport soon after she was born and then I applied for a British one 7 years later. That was a pretty fast and painless process which I was able to complete mostly online and then mail my UK passport and birth certificate along with copies of her US documents to the UK. I didn't bother registering her birth with the consulate and there was no advantage to us for doing so.

We travel to the UK a couple of times a year and really the only advantage for her having a UK passport is my sense of accomplishment of having it done and dusted.