Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Blu_jz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

Hello there everyone. Long time viewer first time poster.

I'm posting my situation here in the hope that people might be able to give me any information or tips on my situation.

I have met an American girl online that i have entered a long distance relationship with. She will be jetting over to me in the UK from Denver in a few months time so that we can meet for the first time. Obviously being in a relationship like this means that ideally it needs to be a 2 sided affair and that i would like to be able to get on a plane to visit her home and meet her family.

Usually this may well be a fairly easy affair but unfortunately i am one of those people that fall into the inadmissible catagory. The details of this are: a juvenile reprimand for criminal damage circa 12 years ago, a reprimand for common assault circa 10 years ago and the really unfortunate caution for posession of 0.5g of cannabis circa 9 years ago.

This obviously means that i will have to go armed with all supporting documents to the embassy in London to plead my case. I will be providing everything i can that is listed on the forums that may help my case such as police certificate, character references, employment contract, payslips, etc. Once my girlfriend has been over we will have some lovely pictures of us both that may pull some heart strings (haha)

I am now 27 years old and am in full time employment as a mechanical manufacture engineer. I am also attending my final year of my btec apprenticeship in order to get the paperwork. The managing director of the company is more than happy to write on my behalf stating the time that i have off is legit and that i must return by a certain date. I also take care of my elderly grandparents with my mother which i guess is another tie to the UK. The college will also supply me with proof of student status on headed paper.

My main questions are;

Is it going to raise eyebrows that i do not have any plans to book tickets before knowing im granted a visa?

Will the girlfriend thing cause me many issues?

We have briefly touched on the subject of settling down together. Is it worth making the point of intending to do this in the UK as opposed to the US?

I am obviously going to go to the interview telling the whole truth. Any tips on the best way to approach/word any of the information i need to give would be greatly appriciated. I would hate to open my mouth and say somthing unnecessary and hurt my chances.

Anyone with any advice or similar experiences please chime in. Any questions i will answer.

Thanks in advance!

Alex
Old Jul 27th 2017, 11:58 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unusual US visitor visa situation. Advice welcomed!

No one knows what your chances are. That's entirely down to the officer that interviews you on the day and the strength and merits of your application. They won't be interested in your photos so you needn't take them.

It won't be a problem that you haven't got any tickets booked. In fact, the recommendation is that you don't book anything and make a financial commitment like that until you have your visa. Unlike other countries, the USA does not require you to show evidence of a bona fide booking in order to secure a visa.

I'd say wait until you've met face-to-face before you over-think the visa situation. You're getting ahead of yourself here with plans for settling down when you haven't even met yet. Enjoy her visit, don't stress on what may or may not happen, and take each day as it comes.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blu_jz
Is it going to raise eyebrows that i do not have any plans to book tickets before knowing im granted a visa?
No... because it would be stupid to book tickets without knowing whether or not you'll be allowed to travel.

Will the girlfriend thing cause me many issues?
No - at least, not with US immigration.

We have briefly touched on the subject of settling down together. Is it worth making the point of intending to do this in the UK as opposed to the US?
That would be premature - and you likely have no idea at this point in time whether or not that would be something your young lady would consider. I'm going to assume you've told your young lady about these incidents.

I am obviously going to go to the interview telling the whole truth. Any tips on the best way to approach/word any of the information i need to give would be greatly appriciated. I would hate to open my mouth and say somthing unnecessary and hurt my chances.
Tell the truth. Be humble and contrite, but neither minimize nor trivialize the incidents. You will likely be denied the visa but recommended for a waiver of the inadmissibility. The waiver will take about 6-8 months to approve - but if you're recommended for one, you'll almost surely get it.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 27th 2017 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I don't intend to get ahead of myself with anything like that. Im just trying to go in there as prepared as i can be to avoid being caught off guard by any questions I'm sure it will be nerve racking as it is.

Reading back, my questions were a bit vague.. what im really worried about is the response when i tell them im visiting someone who i am in a relationship with as im sure that immigration officers know that the heart can potentially cause an overstay. I really want to be as honest and open with them as i understand that telling them im there purely for tourism purposes may harm chances of getting other types of visa in the future providing we hit it off. Who knows. If anyone has any more input on this situation please chime in.

Thanks

Alex
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your response. It is hugely appreciated. Have a great day!

Alex
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

I understand that the settling down situation is premature. The reason i mentioned it is because i have read before that people who disclose the fact there is a relationship there may get probed for answers regarding that by officials. I just purely want to be as prepared as possible for any eventuality. Again thanks for the reply.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... what im really worried about is the response when i tell them im visiting someone who i am in a relationship with as im sure that immigration officers know that the heart can potentially cause an overstay.
The US Consular Service in London doesn't really care why you're getting a visa - so, this is less an issue for getting a visa, and more an issue when you speak to a CBP officer after getting off the plane! The CBP officer is the one who will determine your intent for visiting. More to the point, you are not required to volunteer information not specifically asked about... so, in other words, unless you are specifically asked whether or not you have a girlfriend in the US, you don't need to tell them why you want the visa or why you're visiting.

I really want to be as honest and open with them...
No! You're required to be honest with them. You aren't required to spill your guts.

... i understand that telling them im there purely for tourism purposes may harm chances of getting other types of visa in the future providing we hit it off.
It won't - and it's irrelevant anyway.

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

It's unlikely they'll view you as an overstay risk in my opinion.

The drugs caution will likely result in a visa refusal, but it's quite a long time ago and pretty minimal, so I'd expect you get recommended for a waiver. As Ian said, be prepared for a long wait. It may well be a year before you finally get there so get the ball rolling asap.

telling them im there purely for tourism purposes may harm chances of getting other types of visa in the future providing we hit it off
I don't really follow what you're saying here - where have you got that idea from? There are plenty of cases of tourists legitimately meeting an USC that end up going on to get greencards and citizenships.

I believe your reprimands shouldn't be on your record anymore (I could be wrong here) - so it'll just be the cannabis caution. I think, that means, you are still just about eligible for a Greencard as it was under 30grams. As many others have said - getting ahead of yourself a bit probably - but my general point is there are a few options still open to you. Time and money are the only painful factors.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:42 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do some people who have never met think they are 'boyfriend and girlfriend' and in a 'relationship'. You're really not!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by az2014
Why do some people who have never met think they are 'boyfriend and girlfriend' and in a 'relationship'. You're really not!
Thank you for the helpful input. I kinda get where you are coming from. I used the term girlfriend because im sure that any immigration official who is worth their salt will view a young single male travelling half way round the world to stay with a young lady to have an ulterior motive.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses. So I take that the general consensus is that my juvinile reprimands may not cause as much hassle as i thought? I knew the drug caution would cause issues. To be young and stupid huh? One other question, if any of my previous record isnt shown on the police certificate, should i still admit to it and be honest or keep quiet. I dont want anything to come back and bite me.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:57 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

And if the worst happens and you can never travel to the USA (which I doubt, unless there is something you're not telling us here), then you can still maintain a relationship with her. It's not the end of the world. My husband has never been allowed into the U.K. due to his criminal record but that didn't stop us being together, marrying and completing the immigration process for me to move here. He has never met my family and probably never will since my family would rather stick pins in their eyes than come to the USA.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses. So I take that the general consensus is that my juvinile reprimands may not cause as much hassle as i thought? I knew the drug caution would cause issues. To be young and stupid huh? One other question, if any of my previous record isnt shown on the police certificate, should i still admit to it and be honest or keep quiet. I dont want anything to come back and bite me.
You are not quite getting the message. You answer any question honestly, no more and no less. You should not volunteer information when not asked for it, but when asked you must answer honestly. The same goes for a CBP officer.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you again for your response. Im sorry to hear about your husbands situation but very happy to hear that you two overcame the odds and are living happily ever after. I have been completely honest with the information ive given so i am now feeling a lot more confident. Thank you all for being so helpful.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

@midatlantic, Im sorry if i come across as being a bit like that. I have done the classic google the problem trick and have myself mixed up with all sorts of conflicting info. This forum has been the best place for me so far. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.