Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unexpected caution on ACRO - awaiting interview!

Unexpected caution on ACRO - awaiting interview!

Old Feb 17th 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

bradaw42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unexpected caution on ACRO - awaiting interview!

Originally Posted by Rete
Why? Does he consider this caution to cause your visa application to be denied? Did he suggest that you find out exactly what transpired with a police report?
No idea. I'm thinking it's a bit of an amazement and snap reaction from the attorney. They also asked if I've informed our HR?!?

I'm going to go to the interview - when eventually scheduled - and await the SAR information.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

If he’s straight off the bat told you to cancel it that seems pretty shoddy.

I’d have thought he’d have given you some more information as to why it’s worth canceling etc.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Under English law you can have an assault without a battery, you cannot have a battery without an assault.
Had a chat with an English solicitor friend. It helps we are both educated in Common Law jurisdictions.

There are two broad types of "assault" - one is apprehension of a battery, the other is attempted battery. So, let's say you strike a sleeping person with intent to injure, there is definitely a battery, but "assault" depends upon the definition used. This is what I was thinking of.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BenK91
If he’s straight off the bat told you to cancel it that seems pretty shoddy.

I’d have thought he’d have given you some more information as to why it’s worth canceling etc.
I'm really not too sure and quite surprised by the response.

The attorney is USA based so will need to wait till Tuesday to speak to them.

I'm quite concerned and confused at why an unexpected battery caution from over 5 years ago appearing on the ACRO would make the attorney ask to cancel the ds-160's where even I don't have any paperwork about it and I've sent for a SAR.

Surely this caution can't hinder the visa application that much? I just really don't know and feel pretty rubbish about the whole thing.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Presidents Day is not a general holiday.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

President's Day is a federal holiday. A general search advised that the UPS, banking institutions, stock exchange, schools and other major institutions will be closed.

As a former legal assistant/paralegal, every law firm I worked for closed on President's Day.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bradaw42
No idea. I'm thinking it's a bit of an amazement and snap reaction from the attorney. They also asked if I've informed our HR?!?

I'm going to go to the interview - when eventually scheduled - and await the SAR information.
Perhaps HR in US have said stop and you are being notified via the lawyers.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Just got off a call with the company's attorney and they believe that because of the caution the visa has a much smaller chance of success and it would be something that the Officer will take into consideration.

In short because of the driving conviction and the battery caution - I would be highly unlikely to obtain the L1, because of the impact on admissibility and eligibility.

Seriously very upset and very p*ss*d off!
Old Feb 20th 2018, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just got off a call with the company's attorney and they believe that because of the caution the visa has a much smaller chance of success and it would be something that the Officer will take into consideration.

In short because of the driving conviction and the battery caution - I would be highly unlikely to obtain the L1, because of the impact on admissibility and eligibility.

Who with? The US for their rules or yourself for getting into trouble and becoming inadmissible?
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

That's tough for you, but try and see it from their perspective. They are potentially looking at an AWFUL lot of money to relocate you and it's understandable that they might not want to jeopardise that investment by taking a risk on someone who has a less than squeaky clean background. It's just added hassle that they would rather avoid if possible.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Who with? The US for their rules or yourself for getting into trouble and becoming inadmissible?
At this stage, it's not clear at all whether the OP actually is inadmissible or not. On the face of it, given what (admittedly) limited information we have here, I'd be leaning towards them not being inadmissible on the grounds of those two offences.

But as I explained above, the employer's attorney is possibly being risk averse and they probably don't want to deal with a case where the outcome is so much more unpredictable than normal.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Does it matter to you why he is pissed? I can't see why?
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Lawyer works for the Employer, their interests are different to yours.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Lawyer works for the Employer, their interests are different to yours.
The problem the OP has is that even if they employed their own personal attorney who came up with a different interpretation of inadmissibility, the employer is unlikely to risk spending the cash to proceed with the application anyway.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Disappointing end result for you as you seemed really excited! I guess in some respects it's better to find out now then go to the interview with excitement to get declined.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 8:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to know if the OP's lawyer is of the opinion that the offence itself makes the OP inadmissible or its omission when lodging the application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.