Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unexpected caution on ACRO - awaiting interview!

Unexpected caution on ACRO - awaiting interview!

Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected caution on ACRO - awaiting interview!

Originally Posted by bradaw42
I'm sorry but recollecting the incident now (couple of family members involved) there was no acts of violence or hitting anyone, hence my clear surprise at it being on the ACRO, and the fact I never realised or had any paperwork about actually being cautioned for battery.
I appreciate what you are saying and what you remember, unfortunately the caution contradicts you. Something to bear in mind when you explain the circumstances at a visa interview, because you must have admitted to the battery in order to receive the caution. At least that is how the Con Off will view it and I as a retired cop view it. When you present yourself that is what you need to overcome.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Also "battery" is a legal term of art which can have multiple definitions. Quite often "assault " is part of battery; sometimes it is not.
Under English law you can have an assault without a battery, you cannot have a battery without an assault.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

You have to admit an offence and agree to be cautioned. You can be arrested and charged if you don’t agree.
Well unless things have changed since I retired, I'll ask my son as he is a detective in West Yorkshire, if you had been formally offered a caution and refuse it you couldn't then be charged. It was a get out of jail free card which hardly anyone played.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

To have a caution, you MUST have a) admitted it, and b) accepted it.

My own caution from a couple of decades ago has this wording right before my signature:

"I voluntarily admit the offence(s) as indicated above, and I agree to a Formal Police Caution. I understand that this Formal Police Caution will remain on file for a minimum of five years, and will be cited in any future criminal proceedings.
I acknowledge the terms of the Formal Police Caution and receipt of a copy of this notice.
"

Despite being 'spent' in the UK after five years, USCIS treat cautions as convictions due to the admittance of the offence. Would be interested to know why yours lists a sept 2012 offence, when if it is spent after five years it should now say 'no live trace' on the police certificate.

See what your subject access report comes back with...they are remarkably detailed.

Last edited by 212; Feb 16th 2018 at 9:50 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It was a get out of jail free card which hardly anyone played.
Just another sneaky way that the old bill try to land people on the hook.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Just another sneaky way that the old bill try to land people on the hook.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The caution was initially introduced for minor offences. They didn't want the court systems clogged up with cases like shoplifters who when I was a copper always plead not guilty so off to court we go after being charged. Get to court now pleads guilty normally after a plea deal. Spent numerous hours sitting around to appear and give evidence then on the day just before the case is due to be heard here comes the defence lawyer will plead guilty if you agree to this, that and the other. Sure Im OK with that. Case closed.

Now how some have been given cautions for burglaries and some sexual offences is beyond me.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:33 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but recollecting the incident now (couple of family members involved) there was no acts of violence or hitting anyone, hence my clear surprise at it being on the ACRO, and the fact I never realised or had any paperwork about actually being cautioned for battery.

The main factor here is that this ACRO report is potentially going to mess up my life and relocation to Atlanta with my company!
Does your family usually get the police involved to settle arguments? The fact that the police were even called would suggest that from at least one person's standpoint this was more than a family argument.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

bradaw42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an email this morning from the attorney to cancel the ds-160's for my wife and I.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Have you paid the fee for DS160
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred16
Have you paid the fee for DS160
Yes I am £281.20 lighter.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Any chance appointments scheduled?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred16
Any chance appointments scheduled?
I keep going on the website but it's all none available. I last called them Thursday and basically said you need to wait till the dates / times are released. I don't really want to keep calling them and annoying them. Just another thing agains my unexpected record I suppose.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have an email this morning from the attorney to cancel the ds-160's for my wife and I.
Why? Does he consider this caution to cause your visa application to be denied? Did he suggest that you find out exactly what transpired with a police report?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean your Employer is.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
You mean your Employer is.
Indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.