British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Uncle Sam Wants YOU! (to be a citizen) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/uncle-sam-wants-you-citizen-718643/)

meauxna May 27th 2011 7:06 pm

Uncle Sam Wants YOU! (to be a citizen)

USCIS has rolled out a bunch of new pages to help people with the decision and process for naturalizing to US Citizenship.

Naturalization is an important milestone in the path toward U.S. citizenship. The decision to apply for citizenship is a very personal one. To help you prepare, USCIS has developed a variety of educational resources. In this section, you will find information on eligibility and testing, the application process, and study materials. You can also learn more about citizenship rights and responsibilities and find a free information session in your area. To get started, explore the links below. (click through to get the links, I didn't copy them all over. -m)

Should I Consider U.S. Citizenship?
Learn about the reasons to consider U.S. citizenship.

Learn About Naturalization
Understand the process of becoming a U.S. citizen.

Apply for Citizenship
Identify the steps needed to apply for citizenship.

Study for the Test
Prepare for the naturalization interview and test.

Find Help in Your Community
Find an English and/or citizenship class, legal assistance, and USCIS-funded service providers in your area.

Free Information Sessions
Find a free naturalization information session in your area.

Find a Citizenship Class
Use your zip code to find a citizenship program.

Citizenship Rights and Responsibilities
Learn about citizenship rights and responsibilities.

More Resources:
Becoming a U.S. Citizen
The United States has a long history of welcoming immigrants from all parts of the world. America values the contributions of immigrants who continue to enrich this country and preserve its legacy as a land of freedom and opportunity.

Deciding to become a U.S. citizen is one of the most important decisions in an individual’s life. If you decide to apply to become a U.S. citizen, you will be showing your commitment to the United States and your loyalty to its Constitution. In return, you are rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of U.S. citizenship.

Bob May 28th 2011 3:03 am

Re: Uncle Sam Wants YOU! (to be a citizen)

The best way they can help, lower the price.

That's the only reason why I haven't done it yet, can't afford it.

tigerbaywarrior Jun 21st 2011 8:20 pm

Fix the immigration system!!!!!

I'm H1-b and would jump at the chance.

8yrs down - who knows how many more to go.

dnolan1337 Jul 8th 2011 9:28 pm

How much does this cost once you have everything else straightened out?

The old horror stories of giving up your passport, etc, are they bullshit or true?

ian-mstm Jul 9th 2011 12:30 am

Originally Posted by dnolan1337 (Post 9484053)
How much does this cost once you have everything else straightened out?

All fees are listed at www.uscis.gov.

The old horror stories of giving up your passport, etc, are they bullshit or true?
You are not required to give up any passport you currently hold.

Ian

freemee Aug 8th 2011 4:34 am

What does US Citizenship mean for me....

My only income is a small disability payment from the government of my native land. I imagine they will not want to pay me any longer if I renounce my loyalty and take an oath of allegiance to the US, becoming a Naturalized Citizen! Does anyone understand this aspect of becoming naturalized as it pertains to benefits paid from overseas?

rpjs Aug 8th 2011 4:50 am

Re: What does US Citizenship mean for me....

Originally Posted by freemee (Post 9544040)
My only income is a small disability payment from the government of my native land. I imagine they will not want to pay me any longer if I renounce my loyalty and take an oath of allegiance to the US, becoming a Naturalized Citizen! Does anyone understand this aspect of becoming naturalized as it pertains to benefits paid from overseas?

It depends on where you're from. Some countries don't allow dual citizenship and if you are from such then you would indeed lose your citizenship on becoming a USC. Other countries allow dual citizenship in principle but might regard the US's oath of allegiance and renuncianation of former loyalties as being sufficient to give up their citizenship. Many countries, including the UK, require a citizen to make a formal denunciation to their own officials to legally give up their citizenship, irrespective of whatever their citizens might have to do or say to gain another country's citizenship. The US does not require anyone to go through any such procedure with their original country when gaining US citizenship. To the US, their oath is all that counts.

In any case, in many countries entitlements to social benefits like disability are based on things like residence and contributions paid into the system. You should contact the embassy of your home country for the definitive answer on whether acquiring US citizenship will affect your citizenship of your home country and your benefit entitlement.

Paul S Aug 9th 2011 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior (Post 9447740)
Fix the immigration system!!!!!

I'm H1-b and would jump at the chance.

8yrs down - who knows how many more to go.

Blimey and here was me (H1B too) complaining that its been 6 years for me :(

crap innit.

tigerbaywarrior Aug 10th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 9548513)
Blimey and here was me (H1B too) complaining that its been 6 years for me :(

crap innit.

Very crap butty.

I'm Employment category 3 - George Bush put paid to my category back in early 2000's when he added in all the illegals to the system. We're creeping forward one month at a time - looks like 14 months until my priority date barring Jihad/Financial meltdown/apocalypse/4 horse men/Anti-christ/ <Insert your own doomsday here>

:rofl:

meauxna Aug 19th 2011 9:48 pm

Locking this thread as it's not for questions.

Noorah101 Dec 16th 2013 10:42 pm

Re: What does US Citizenship mean for me....

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9544048)
Many countries, including the UK, require a citizen to make a formal denunciation to their own officials to legally give up their citizenship, irrespective of whatever their citizens might have to do or say to gain another country's citizenship. The US does not require anyone to go through any such procedure with their original country when gaining US citizenship. To the US, their oath is all that counts.

Just to clarify the blurb above: A UK citizen does not have to renounce their UK citizenship in order to become US citizen. When a UK citizen becomes a US citizen, they automatically become a dual citizen.

If the UK citizen WANTS to no longer be a UK citizen, then they must take steps to renounce UK citizenship.

Rene