UKC moving to America with USC

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

heyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default UKC moving to America with USC

Hi there,

I’m hoping somebody can offer some guidance on how my girlfriend (US citizen) and I (UK citizen) can move to the United States.

About Us: I’m a 27 year old freelance writer; she’s a 22 year old web designer. We’ve been together just under 2.5 years. We met in the States, where I was working on a summer J1 visa. Since then we’ve spent a year in the States together while I was on an internship and since May have been mostly working and travelling around Europe. While we’re happy to continue travelling for a little period, we’d now rather commit to one place for an indefinite period and would like for it to be in the States. But we don’t quite know where to start.

Options

Writing I’m assuming that until I write a blockbuster novel I can’t get any type of visa just because I write for a living.

Education I am interested in pursuing a master’s degree in literature, but the funds required make it next to impossible to attend a prestigious American university. Is it worth looking at a cheaper community college?

Work I completed an internship at a company in Northern Michigan between May 2013 and April 2014. It went well and I would expect that they would give me a job if I expressed an interest. Is this a viable option? And, if so, what type of visa would I be looking at? The job would be in the communications and marketing department of a lucrative business in a tourist town. While I’d have to give up the freedom of being a freelance writer, the location, work, and people would make it worth it (and I could still write creatively in my spare time).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKC moving to America with USC

spousal visa CR1
Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1)
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heyseus
I’m hoping somebody can offer some guidance on how my girlfriend (US citizen) and I (UK citizen) can move to the United States.
She's a USC... she can move to the US at any time. You're the one who'll need a visa.

... we don’t quite know where to start.
Get married. Problem solved! Otherwise... start here. Generally speaking, there are 3 routes to the US: family-based; employment-based; and investment-based.

I’m assuming that until I write a blockbuster novel I can’t get any type of visa just because I write for a living.
Although it may be difficult, you assume incorrectly.

Is it worth looking at a cheaper community college?
Probably not... most community colleges don't grant a Master's degree. FWIW, I wouldn't attend a "prestigious American university" even if the option presented itself. It'd be a waste of time and money if you want to remain a freelance writer. There are many other fine universities in the US - and therefore many less expensive options. Regardless, you will likely end up paying international tuition fees - so keep that in mind.

Is this a viable option?
No... it's likely not a long-term solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Get married.

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Heyseus,

You missed the most obvious solution - get married and obtain an immigrant visa. That is the easiest long term solution.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Generally not much career prospects for writers either.

Dwindling opportunities in the land of video and text, continual layoffs at media organizations, a public decreasingly interested in reading.

If you had an internship with a potential employer you should crawling on broken glass to get a job from them. That's the whole point. And communications and marketing is an area where you could develop your commercial skills. That kind of internship is invaluable but do try to capitalise on it and not waste it.

But just consider getting married. You can deal with the lack of employment opportunities another day.
I'm also concerned about job prospects for your wife. There are still jobs for web designers that pay more than minimum wage?

Ultimately though, if you can both have jobs, rent a small apt, watch your costs, eat cheaply, you're young enough for it to be an adventure

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 2nd 2015 at 5:59 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, marriage is the quickest solution - would you have someone if your family prepared to sponsor the intending immigrant? I assume from your statement that you don't have significant savings.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

heyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thank you for the advice.

I am aware that marrying would most likely be the most straightforward route, but we wouldn't want to rush into that if there are other options available.

As for making money: web designers generally may be finding it tough, but my girlfriend is fine as her mother has a lucrative web design business. I also know I can make money as a writer anywhere. However, CivilServant is right about there being no savings.

We think at this stage that a job with the company I interned for would make the most sense, even if it's not a permanent solution; a visa for a year or so would be fine for now - does this change anything?

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!
Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find an employer willing to sponsor you fora work visa, then go for it.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's been 2.5 years, not exactly a whirlwind romance.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heyseus
... we wouldn't want to rush into that if there are other options available.
Most people feel this way so you're definitely not alone. Most of those people, by the way, change their minds once they realize the difficulty of the path they've set for themselves. Good luck to you.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

I understand, thank you. Can I ask which visa I would need if I were to work for the company I interned for?
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

H1B probably.

What are the chances they'd find a job for you...and since you interned with them, why didn't you aggressively pursue an opportunity at the time?

Is that not why you interned in the first place?
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
H1B probably.

What are the chances they'd find a job for you...and since you interned with them, why didn't you aggressively pursue an opportunity at the time?

Is that not why you interned in the first place?
There is a good chance they would find a job for me. That is not why I interned in the first place; I interned for job experience, which I received. I've since been writing and travelling and I have no regrets, but that may be because I knew I could probably always return to that particular job.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now you're confident that they'll have a job for you?
It's usually not so easy...
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

I did say that in my original post? It's a relatively small business and I have a great relationship with the owner. While not a given I would be pretty confident, yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.