uk police certificates

Old Jan 28th 2001, 3:28 am
keisha lindsay

i need some clarification about obtaining UK police certificates. several web sites
indicate where current uk residents can obtain certificates. however my fiance no longer
lives in the uk. does anyone know the UK procedure for non-residents?

Old Jan 28th 2001, 11:20 am
Sarah

Hi Keisha I have recently obtained a police certificate but as a resident in the UK my
circumstances are a little different. I do not know how the system works for non
residents. If no one is able to give you specific information then this may act as a
starting point.

There is an address on the police certificate

National Identification Service Subject access Office Room 331 New Scotland yard Broadway
London London SW1H 0BG

Tel 020 7230 2958 Fax 020 7230 2688

I dont know if they would be able to help but as that address appears on the top of the
certificate I would hope they would be able to point you in the right direction

When I applied for my police certiicate my local police station had no idea what i was
talking about and they redirected me to the county police headquaters. If you get no joy
form London then you could try calling the police headquaters of the area where your
fiance last lived in the UK-- You need to speak to the data protection officer and they
may also be able assist.

I hope this helps Sarah

> i need some clarification about obtaining UK police certificates. several web sites
> indicate where current uk residents can obtain certificates. however my fiance no longer
> lives in the uk. does anyone know the UK procedure for non-residents?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 3:39 am
lk

hi sarah, thanks for the info. from what i understand there is a 10 pound fee. if my
fiance sends a bank draft or money order do you know to whom it should be made payable to?

thanks, keisha

Sarah wrote:
>
> Hi Keisha I have recently obtained a police certificate but as a resident in the UK my
> circumstances are a little different. I do not know how the system works for non
> residents. If no one is able to give you specific information then this may act as a
> starting point.
>
> There is an address on the police certificate
>
> National Identification Service Subject access Office Room 331 New Scotland yard
> Broadway London London SW1H 0BG
>
> Tel 020 7230 2958 Fax 020 7230 2688
>
> I dont know if they would be able to help but as that address appears on the top of the
> certificate I would hope they would be able to point you in the right direction
>
> When I applied for my police certiicate my local police station had no idea what i was
> talking about and they redirected me to the county police headquaters. If you get no joy
> form London then you could try calling the police headquaters of the area where your
> fiance last lived in the UK-- You need to speak to the data protection officer and they
> may also be able assist.
>
> I hope this helps Sarah
>

> > i need some clarification about obtaining UK police certificates. several web sites
> > indicate where current uk residents can obtain certificates. however my fiance no
> > longer lives in the uk. does anyone know the UK procedure for non-residents?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 7:37 am
Sarah

I had to make the £10 fee payable to my local police force, so I don't know who the cheque
would be payable to if you apply direct to the National Identification Service. You do not
have to pay until you send the completed form in so they should give you payment
information when they send you out the form to fill in. Sarah

> hi sarah, thanks for the info. from what i understand there is a 10 pound fee. if my
> fiance sends a bank draft or money order do you know to whom it should be made
> payable to?
>
> thanks, keisha
>
> Sarah wrote:
> >
> > Hi Keisha I have recently obtained a police certificate but as a resident in the
UK my
> > circumstances are a little different. I do not know how the system works
for
> > non residents. If no one is able to give you specific information then
this
> > may act as a starting point.
> >
> > There is an address on the police certificate
> >
> > National Identification Service Subject access Office Room 331 New Scotland yard
> > Broadway London London SW1H 0BG
> >
> > Tel 020 7230 2958 Fax 020 7230 2688
> >
> > I dont know if they would be able to help but as that address appears on
the
> > top of the certificate I would hope they would be able to point you in
the
> > right direction
> >
> > When I applied for my police certiicate my local police station had no
idea
> > what i was talking about and they redirected me to the county police headquaters. If
> > you get no joy form London then you could try calling
the
> > police headquaters of the area where your fiance last lived in the UK--
You
> > need to speak to the data protection officer and they may also be able assist.
> >
> > I hope this helps Sarah
> >

> > > i need some clarification about obtaining UK police certificates. several web sites
> > > indicate where current uk residents can obtain certificates. however my fiance no
> > > longer lives in the uk. does anyone know the UK procedure for non-residents?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 2:20 pm
Sue

From what I remember of the form, it must be submitted via a police station and cannot be
sent direct to New Scotland Yard. That was the procedure in July 2000. I never found a
downloadable version.

I think your best bet may be to call the main police station in the area your fiance last
lived, ask for the Data Protection Officer and discuss it with them. Note smaller local
police stations may refer you to the central station for the area - not all police
stations keep the form.

> do you know if it's possilbe to downlaod the form? keisha
>
> Sarah wrote:
> >
> > I had to make the £10 fee payable to my local police force, so I don't
know
> > who the cheque would be payable to if you apply direct to the National Identification
> > Service. You do not have to pay until you send the
completed
> > form in so they should give you payment information when they send you
out
> > the form to fill in. Sarah

> > > hi sarah, thanks for the info. from what i understand there is a 10 pound fee.
if
> > > my fiance sends a bank draft or money order do you know to whom it should be made
> > > payable to?
> > >
> > > thanks, keisha
> > >
> > > Sarah wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi Keisha I have recently obtained a police certificate but as a resident in
the
> > UK my
> > > > circumstances are a little different. I do not know how the system
works
> > for
> > > > non residents. If no one is able to give you specific information
then
> > this
> > > > may act as a starting point.
> > > >
> > > > There is an address on the police certificate
> > > >
> > > > National Identification Service Subject access Office Room 331 New Scotland yard
> > > > Broadway London London SW1H 0BG
> > > >
> > > > Tel 020 7230 2958 Fax 020 7230 2688
> > > >
> > > > I dont know if they would be able to help but as that address
appears on
> > the
> > > > top of the certificate I would hope they would be able to point you
in
> > the
> > > > right direction
> > > >
> > > > When I applied for my police certiicate my local police station had
no
> > idea
> > > > what i was talking about and they redirected me to the county police headquaters.
> > > > If you get no joy form London then you could try
calling
> > the
> > > > police headquaters of the area where your fiance last lived in the
UK--
> > You
> > > > need to speak to the data protection officer and they may also be
able
> > > > assist.
> > > >
> > > > I hope this helps Sarah
> > > >

> > > > > i need some clarification about obtaining UK police certificates. several web
> > > > > sites indicate where current uk residents can obtain certificates. however my
> > > > > fiance no longer lives in the uk. does
anyone
> > > > > know the UK procedure for non-residents?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 3:20 pm
lk

do you know if it's possilbe to downlaod the form? keisha

Sarah wrote:
>
> I had to make the £10 fee payable to my local police force, so I don't know who the
> cheque would be payable to if you apply direct to the National Identification Service.
> You do not have to pay until you send the completed form in so they should give you
> payment information when they send you out the form to fill in. Sarah

> > hi sarah, thanks for the info. from what i understand there is a 10 pound fee. if my
> > fiance sends a bank draft or money order do you know to whom it should be made
> > payable to?
> >
> > thanks, keisha
> >
> > Sarah wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Keisha I have recently obtained a police certificate but as a resident in the
> UK my
> > > circumstances are a little different. I do not know how the system works
> for
> > > non residents. If no one is able to give you specific information then
> this
> > > may act as a starting point.
> > >
> > > There is an address on the police certificate
> > >
> > > National Identification Service Subject access Office Room 331 New Scotland yard
> > > Broadway London London SW1H 0BG
> > >
> > > Tel 020 7230 2958 Fax 020 7230 2688
> > >
> > > I dont know if they would be able to help but as that address appears on
> the
> > > top of the certificate I would hope they would be able to point you in
> the
> > > right direction
> > >
> > > When I applied for my police certiicate my local police station had no
> idea
> > > what i was talking about and they redirected me to the county police headquaters. If
> > > you get no joy form London then you could try calling
> the
> > > police headquaters of the area where your fiance last lived in the UK--
> You
> > > need to speak to the data protection officer and they may also be able assist.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps Sarah
> > >

> > > > i need some clarification about obtaining UK police certificates. several web
> > > > sites indicate where current uk residents can obtain certificates. however my
> > > > fiance no longer lives in the uk. does anyone know the UK procedure for
> > > > non-residents?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 4:14 pm
ms_bhon

Whatever you do, don't try to obtain one from a British Consulate- at least in Dallas. My
friend works as a pro-consul there- while we were chatting and catching up this weekend,
she told me, when people call to enquire about getting UK police certificates, she and her
co-workers tell them, they do not obtain them there at the consulate. She didn't even know
where to direct them! My fiance was able to just get his from the local police station,
but then he still lives over there. Perhaps he could call the police station closest to
where he used to live, if the national identity centre proves problematic. Good luck! Beth