Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen on a green card moving to Mexico

UK Citizen on a green card moving to Mexico

Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

jontyrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen on a green card moving to Mexico

I think I'll have to give up my green card, as my wife and I will be moving to Mexico around Sept. I thought I'd ask for opinions on whether I should take steps to avoid this, eg apply for citzenship, or just just let things run their course.

A little background - I'm married to a US born and bred citizen, and have had my green card since 1986. I never applied for citizenship, partially due to inertia. Both my kids were born in the US, and still live here, away at college now. We don't have an intention to move back to the US, but wouldn't rule it out either. Looks like there's a tax filing advantage to giving up US residency, but if I did want to move back here, I'd have to go through the green card process again - although with two American kids and an American wife, would that be a problem?

A complicating factor is that I intend to keep my brokerage account and a bank account in the US.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen on a green card moving to Mexico

Originally Posted by jontyrees
I think I'll have to give up my green card, as my wife and I will be moving to Mexico around Sept. I thought I'd ask for opinions on whether I should take steps to avoid this, eg apply for citzenship, or just just let things run their course.

A little background - I'm married to a US born and bred citizen, and have had my green card since 1986. I never applied for citizenship, partially due to inertia. Both my kids were born in the US, and still live here, away at college now. We don't have an intention to move back to the US, but wouldn't rule it out either. Looks like there's a tax filing advantage to giving up US residency, but if I did want to move back here, I'd have to go through the green card process again - although with two American kids and an American wife, would that be a problem?

A complicating factor is that I intend to keep my brokerage account and a bank account in the US.

Thoughts?
With so many family connections with the USA, and the opportunity to obtain citizenship easily now, I would go for it in order to gain the ability to come and go as you please.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
With so many family connections with the USA, and the opportunity to obtain citizenship easily now, I would go for it in order to gain the ability to come and go as you please.
Any idea how long the process takes? Looks like we'll be making the move by Sept
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jontyrees
Any idea how long the process takes?
It usually takes about 6 months, but that doesn't mean you can't come back for an interview and the Oath Ceremony when the time comes. Be aware that if you give up PR status because you want to avoid filing future US tax returns, you'll likely get hit with a tax penalty!

... if I did want to move back here, I'd have to go through the green card process again...
Correct.

... although with two American kids and an American wife, would that be a problem?
No - so long as the rules don't change at some point in the future. If you can get US citizenship now, I agree that you should.

While I'm thinking about it, do you all have visas that allow you to move to and live in Mexico?

Ian
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

While I'm thinking about it, do you all have visas that allow you to move to and live in Mexico?
Not yet - that's next on the list of to-dos
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the advice already offered - it is almost always a good idea to obtain citizenships that match those of your parents and children when the opportunity arises, as you never know how the world might change making it difficult to move somewhere.

For example, what happens if your wife dies and you want to move closer to your children - the easiest route to a green card has gone. .... What if sponsorship of a parent for a green card by adult US citizen is eliminated? Then getting back to the US would be extremely difficult for you!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 3:57 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be concerned about the green card process if, God forbid, the USC spouse passes away. Obtaining a green card through an USC adult child is as easy, and perhaps easier than obtaining through a USC spouse (since the relationship of parent/child is easier to confirm than husband/wife (DNA)). They are both in the immediate relative category and exempt the waiting period related to IV priority dates.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I wouldn't be concerned about the green card process if, God forbid, the USC spouse passes away. Obtaining a green card through an USC adult child is as easy, and perhaps easier than obtaining through a USC spouse (since the relationship of parent/child is easier to confirm than husband/wife (DNA)). They are both in the immediate relative category and exempt the waiting period related to IV priority dates.
That probably is correct, though the whole visa process for the USA may change in the future, or there may be long delays. Though giving up US tax reporting requirements would be a big plus !
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I wouldn't be concerned about the green card process if, God forbid, the USC spouse passes away. Obtaining a green card through an USC adult child is as easy, and perhaps easier than obtaining through a USC spouse (since the relationship of parent/child is easier to confirm than husband/wife (DNA)). ....
I suspect that the sponsorship of parents is going to be part of an attempt by Donald Trump and the Republicans to reform immigration laws as it would effectively retrospectively outlaw the "anchor baby problem".

I wouldn't bet $10 on the law relating to sponsorship of parents remaining unchanged, and if I had any thoughts of sponsoring a parent for a green card, my working assumption would be that my ability to sponsor my parents will not last much longer.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I would hold off on moving until you get your citizenship. It's an easy form (no need for lawyers) and will make your life 100% easier...especially seeings as your kids are American.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:09 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that the sponsorship of parents is going to be part of an attempt by Donald Trump and the Republicans to reform immigration laws as it would effectively retrospectively outlaw the "anchor baby problem".

I wouldn't bet $10 on the law relating to sponsorship of parents remaining unchanged, and if I had any thoughts of sponsoring a parent for a green card, my working assumption would be that my ability to sponsor my parents will not last much longer.
That's a good point. I suppose the whole thing could be redesigned. I considered that as a possibility, but I suspect the DV lottery, and sibling category would get slashed first. If illegal migration can ever be put in check, then legitimate categories may even be expanded.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
That's a good point. I suppose the whole thing could be redesigned. I considered that as a possibility, but I suspect the DV lottery, and sibling category would get slashed first. If illegal migration can ever be put in check, then legitimate categories may even be expanded.
Looking at history of immigration issue I wouldn't put much hope on rational reform. It is also should be considered there are two separate issues (a) concerning illegal immigration (b) level of immigration and type overall. Most focus is on illegal immigration at present. If it were checked, and beneficial effects on wages for lower income workers and social expenditures, result, then perhaps "legitimate" immigration would then be looked at for restrictions on the levels. Or perhaps for ideological reasons to combat past racism the Democratic party decides to put restrictions on the numbers coming from UK and Europe. Sounds crazy but who knows. Lots of things that would have seemed crazy 30 or even 15 years ago are now commonplace. Or it is decided to grant amnesty as a one time or ongoing policy, and applications for citizenship or long term residency take much longer for approval.

I just think betting the future on the current system might not be the most prudent course of action.