Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

U.S./Can citizen desires same for husband

U.S./Can citizen desires same for husband

Old Jan 27th 2001, 3:23 pm
Pumpsie

To whom it may concern:-

I am a dual citizen of U.S. and Canada and live in Canada. My husband is a
Canadian citizen.

About a year ago I started filling out papers on behalf of my husband to immigrate to USA,
where We own a house.

I still desire to work here in Canada, as I have a lucrative job and most important,
because of family responsibilities I am not ready to move south. We are of the
understanding that we have to move to USA within a year of our application being approved.
My husband was approved, but further paper work is required.

My questions are as follows:-

1. How can we get an extension of the application.

2. Can we apply for immigration status from our second residence in the U.S.A., while
there. If so, who do we contact?

3. Could we still reside in Canada the majority of the year and still have my husband hold
dual citizenship?

In closing, we want to move to the U.S.A, permanently, when we feel the time is right and
NOT have to go back to Canada to reapply and go through the long delay in redoing the
immigration process.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

--
Roger
--

Do not take as the absolute truth anything you read on the net, regarding products or
advice. Always seek a consensus of opinions.

Old Jan 28th 2001, 1:22 am
ctd123

Think of what you are asking? Do you know the meaning of PERMANENT RESIDENT?

Old Jan 28th 2001, 5:57 pm
tim235

In regards to your questions:

At present time, you are applying for your husband's US permanent resident status. That's
what he'll get when approved for a green card. Permanent residents are required to reside
the USA in order to keep the status. They are allowed to leave the USA and stay/live
abroad, but if it would seem to the INS that this person abandons his US residence, it can
take his green card away.

After your husband arrives in the USA with his immigrant visa, he will receive an actual
green card in the mail a few months later. When you settle in the USA together, it will be
possible for him to leave the USA for as long as 6 - 12 months. But if you two plan to be
outside the USA for close to a year or more than a year, your husband would have to apply
for a so-called reentry permit PRIOR to leaving the USA, or he won't be admitted back as a
permanent resident.

Your husband will be eligible to apply for US citizenship only after holding a green card
for 3 years (this rule applies to those who obtain green cards through marriage to US
citizens). If his stays outside the US are longer than 6 months each year, the waiting
period for him to qualify for US citizenship will be longer too.

Once he is naturalized, there will be no restrictions on where and how long he may reside.

If you want to learn about all this more, the best source of information, to my mind, is
the book called "US immigration made easy".It explains how to keep a green card (and
permanent resident status) after getting it; what the restrictions are for green card
holders when it comes to traveling outside the USA; what the process of applying for US
citizenship is all about, and much more. Here is my link to this book's web page:

http://www.foreignerinamerica.com/page_8.html

Hope this will help you figure out the best way to go.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 4:51 pm
Rita

To whom it may concern:-
>
> I am a dual citizen of U.S. and Canada and live in Canada. My husband is a Canadian
> citizen.
>
>
> Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
>
> --
> Roger
> --
>

From the first sentence of your post and the signature at its end, I would have to tell
you that your project is doomed. The US and INS do not recognize gay marriages.

Rita

> Do not take as the absolute truth anything you read on the net, regarding products or
> advice. Always seek a consensus of opinions.
>

>

--
The K1 FAQ is now at http://www.k1faq.com www2.apex.net/users/thehydes