Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Florida for holiday - name change by deed poll

Traveling to Florida for holiday - name change by deed poll

Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

opronnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling to Florida for holiday - name change by deed poll

Hi all

Wonder if anyone can help.

We are planning a family holiday to florida next year and my brother who made a few lifestyle choices which resulted in drug convictions 9 years ago then changed his name by deed poll 2/3 years ago.

if we travel to usa on the visa waiver scheme with his new passport and id in his new name would this still come up on immigration checks with his old name?

Thanks for any advice upfront.

OP
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to Florida for holiday - name change by deed poll

He still needs to answer all the landing card questions for "him, as the person". Changing his name does not wipe the slate for things such as arrests and a criminal record, or anything else.

No one can be sure exactly what US immigration knows, but you must assume they know "everything".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 20th 2016 at 12:30 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply...

As it was a drugs charge in his old name that's the concern.

He has changed his name by deed poll and has no other issues anywhere but didn't want to fly to America and be turned away....
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by opronnie
thanks for the reply...

As it was a drugs charge in his old name that's the concern.

He has changed his name by deed poll and has no other issues anywhere but didn't want to fly to America and be turned away....
He must still reveal the drugs charge...whether he has changed his name or not. What was he charged with and what were the drugs involved?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 20th 2016 at 12:30 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

and if he doesn't is there a strong possibility of them picking up on this?
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That question is a non starter. He must declare the conviction.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody here is going to suggest that he lies to US immigration, please don't ask them to condone it.

Tbh, trying to do that would be idiotic at best. As said above, assume they know everything (I'm sure his new name is linked to his old one in various government databases), and if he tried to enter the US without declaring his criminal record then he'd not only risk being refused entry, but also being banned from the US I believe. Others will know more about the possible repercussions than me, but it's just not worth risking IMO, and would be another stupid 'lifestyle choice' if he even tried it. Hopefully he'll make a sensible choice this time around!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 20th 2016 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the US takes drugs and drug convictions VERY seriously. Despite the increasing perception that the US has gone soft on cannabis, the Federal government still takes ALL drugs very seriously.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

"No, seriously let me in. I'm not named Osama bin Laden. I changed my name to Fred bin Laden years ago..."
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As he felt the need to change his name...I presume it must have been a very serious charge. Without further details we are unable to help you other than to say...immigration are probably able to tie the two passports together.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the replys. some a bit too sarcastic perhaps but none the less thanks for taking the time.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that anyone advise my bro to lie that would be ridiculous. this was posted as I read on another forum that people with spent convictions have travelled on a waiver without any issue as the convictions were old and didn't feel the need to declare them and had no problems. Obviously if someone were to take this position and not declare this they are taking a risk but under other circumstances they have not had any problems.

Again thanks for the reply's but sarcastic remarks don't give people asking advice confidence!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:47 pm

thanks for the replys. some a bit too sarcastic perhaps but none the less thanks for taking the time.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that anyone advise my bro to lie that would be ridiculous. this was posted as I read on another forum that people with spent convictions have travelled on a waiver without any issue as the convictions were old and didn't feel the need to declare them and had no problems. ....
There is no such thing as a "spent conviction" under US law.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 20th 2016 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Also, I wasn't suggesting that anyone advise my bro to lie that would be ridiculous. this was posted as I read on another forum that people with spent convictions have travelled on a waiver without any issue as the convictions were old and didn't feel the need to declare them and had no problems. Obviously if someone were to take this position and not declare this they are taking a risk but under other circumstances they have not had any problems.

Again thanks for the reply's but sarcastic remarks don't give people asking advice confidence!
It depends what the conviction was. Having a drugs charge he will not be able to travel in the VWP...he will require a visa. Without further info we cannot tell what his chances of obtaining a visa will be.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I wasn't suggesting that anyone advise my bro to lie that would be ridiculous.......Obviously if someone were to take this position and not declare this they are taking a risk but under other circumstances they have not had any problems.
But not declaring them would be a lie? If he's asked about criminal convictions and says he hasn't got any, then that's a lie.

As others have suggested, if you can give more info about the conviction(s) then our resident pros will be able to tell you what his chances are of getting a visa.

Good luck.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 1:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

its complicated but here goes.

Some 10 years ago he was arrested in spain with some other friends and accused of smuggling cannabis! The defence proved that there was a high level of corruption and lies in the case and on his return to the uk a solicitor said that due to levels of corruption they could never convict him or deport him due to corrupt nature of it all. The court in spain past a 4 year sentence while he was in the uk but never sought to enforce this in the uk. his friend who was with him travels all over the world including the usa. with no issue and he changed his name by deed poll after the conviction
10 years ago there was no such thing as the European arrest warrant, which there is now, No-one on here will suggest that he try to get round the requirements to declare his conviction as that would be against Forum rules, even though he has changed his name. If you are coming on here to get some sort of 'official' sanctioning of him lying to US immigration, then it's just not going to happen. He has been found guilty in a court of law, and threfore must face the consequences, if that means having to apply for a visa, being denied and possibly recommended for a waiver than that is what he must do. The solicitor said they could never convict him, but they did, and he was sentenced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.