Travel to US

Old Aug 15th 2017, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Mixedmiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to US

Has anyone experienced this scenario?
Being refused entry to US on grounds that the immigration officer thought you were there to stay permanently? Also overstayed in US but as minor ( under the age of 18) leaving once 18. Overstayed from 2001-2009.
Being a British national I applied for ESTA in 2010 and the visa however was denied/refused entry. I wasn't given details as to why I was removed I was 19 and very upset at that time. I want to visit but not sure how to get ahold of us embassy in London. They're website is rubbish and keeps saying access denied. Any help?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 5:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to US

Originally Posted by Mixedmiss
Has anyone experienced this scenario?
Being refused entry to US on grounds that the immigration officer thought you were there to stay permanently? Also overstayed in US but as minor ( under the age of 18) leaving once 18. Overstayed from 2001-2009.
Being a British national I applied for ESTA in 2010 and the visa however was denied/refused entry. I wasn't given details as to why I was removed I was 19 and very upset at that time. I want to visit but not sure how to get ahold of us embassy in London. They're website is rubbish and keeps saying access denied. Any help?
Which did you do apply for ESTA so that you could use the visa waiver program (VWP) and the esta was denied OR did you apply for a visa at the US Embassy and that was denied OR were you removed from the US physically by ICE?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 5:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you overstayed until you were 19 then you are permanently ineligible for the VWP even if the overstay as a child was entirely discounted (and I don't even think it is discounted). ..... Or did you try to return to the US when you were 19? ... Your time line in post #1 isn't very clear.

If you are ineligible for the VWP then you need to apply for a B-2 visa. I wouldn't bet much on you getting one though - consider yourself lucky if you get a one year, single entry visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2017 at 6:12 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Also overstayed in US but as minor ( under the age of 18) leaving once 18.
The devil is in the details. What visa did you have in 2001? How long did you overstay once you turned 18?

I want to visit...
With respect, US immigration has no interest in what you want. If you overstayed, you are likely permanently ineligible to use ESTA/VWP and you will require a B-2 visa in order to visit. It is unlikely, however, that you'll get a visa having already demonstrated a complete disregard for US immigration rules and regulations.

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I want to visit but not sure how to get a hold of us embassy in London. They're website is rubbish and keeps saying access denied. Any help?
Not sure why you are having trouble with the US Embassy London website.

Try this and follow it through to understand what you need to do.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Not sure why you are having trouble with the US Embassy London website.

Try this and follow it through to understand what you need to do.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/
Probably because when you are upset and angry you often miss the obvious.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:23 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Even an infant overstayed the VWP by one day, he is ineligible for VWP for life. Age doesn't matter.

If the same person overstayed an actual visa (after April 1, 1997) then he would also be ineligible for for VWP because of 222(g) of the INA which makes the traveler ineligible for admission as a nonimmigrant unless they first obtain a new visa in their home country or country of last residence.

The 18th birthday aspect relates to bar periods resulting from the accrual of unlawful presence. An overstay until the 19th birthday would trigger a 10 year bar. VWP rules and 222(g) have no loophole for age. An overstay is an overstay.

A visa is now required and be prepared to prove that you are qualified for one. The consular officer may be concerned that your last "visit" lasted 8 years. There's no reason to call the embassy/consulate. You must apply for the visa and schedule an interview so there is nothing to discuss. Good luck.

Last edited by crg; Aug 15th 2017 at 10:25 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
Even an infant overstayed the VWP by one day, he is ineligible for VWP for life. Age doesn't matter.

If the same person overstayed an actual visa (after April 1, 1997) then he would also be ineligible for for VWP because of 222(g) of the INA which makes the traveler ineligible for admission as a nonimmigrant unless they first obtain a new visa in their home country or country of last residence.

The 18th birthday aspect relates to bar periods resulting from the accrual of unlawful presence. An overstay until the 19th birthday would trigger a 10 year bar. VWP rules and 222(g) have no loophole for age. An overstay is an overstay.

A visa is now required and be prepared to prove that you are qualified for one. The consular officer may be concerned that your last "visit" lasted 8 years. There's no reason to call the embassy/consulate. You must apply for the visa and schedule an interview so there is nothing to discuss. Good luck.
Thank you for your information. Sorry for the unclarity. I was there dependent on my parents. When I turned 18 I left the US and came back to England. I went to visit again after a year and was denied entry. I didn't know and was missinformed about what I should have done so I went online and got ESTA. ESTA came back with no issues so I presumed I was okay to travel. I have not since traveled or attempted to travel back. I am now thinking of visiting but was not sure what to do.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;12317292]The devil is in the details. What visa did you have in 2001? How long did you overstay once you turned 18?

With respect, US immigration has no interest in what you want. If you overstayed, you are likely permanently ineligible to use ESTA/VWP and you will require a B-2 visa in order to visit. It is unlikely, however, that you'll get a visa having already demonstrated a complete disregard for US immigration rules and regulations.

Not much choice when you are fully dependent on your parents. As I mentioned I left US when I turned 18 and only attempted to travel a year later where I was denied entry.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Which did you do apply for ESTA so that you could use the visa waiver program (VWP) and the esta was denied OR did you apply for a visa at the US Embassy and that was denied OR were you removed from the US physically by ICE?
I applied for ESTA back in 2010 and no I was not physically removed ever as I was dependent on parents. I left when I reached the age of 18. When I attempted to travel a year later when I was 19 I was refused entry.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Probably because when you are upset and angry you often miss the obvious.
No I'm not upset now I was at the time of refused entry in 2010. Sorry my post wasn't very clear.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Not much choice when you are fully dependent on your parents. As I mentioned I left US when I turned 18 and only attempted to travel a year later where I was denied entry.
What was your parents' status in the US? Did they have visas and somehow they overlooked your visa status, or did they overstay too? .... Or do your parents have a connection to US citizenship that might extend to you?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 16th 2017 at 7:35 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I left US when I turned 18...
Yes, I understand - but unless you left on your 18th birthday you didn't actually answer the question! At any rate, there's no need to answer now... and it seems your parents have totally screwed you over. Feel free to let them know how totally irresponsible it was of them!

Ian